attn: all the haters on this site

danny homegrown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my thing. but good on ya for producing.

Just wondering if anyone here knows the difference in producing screenprint apparel

and what it takes (Time,effort,money,talent) to do cut and sew.

The reason we have so many T-shirt companies out there is that it's considerably

more difficult to produce Pattern made product.

I assume most (not all) people starting out have aspirations to produce original

clothing but don't have the means to do so yet and are hoping to get their foot in

the door and pour all their $ back into their "Clothing line" in order to reach a level

that includes an entire collection.

That being said I also think most of these companies suck and don't last for a reason.

A couple of graphics in my opinion do not make a clothing line there are multiple

avenues to get your name out and I'd like to see some real creativity other than

just a graphic on a T and embroidered hat.

To have private label product made is easy, to have something unique can be also

but people seem to be in a rut and are following like sheep. Private label companies

will accomodate your ideas and can put your designs on products outside the norm

for surprisingly affordable costs If you can come up with the idea/execution.

You don't have to go to Asia and work it out yourself.

Huge props to anyone creating but Damn let's see something new. PLEASE.

I think a T-Shirt label is an excellent and valid way to get started in the business, gets your feet wet. There also nothing wrong with having just a t-shirt co also, it's a job, a form of expression etc. Good luck to you bro.

It's always good to go to tech / University and learn some skills too and make some other stuff.

63006.jpg

Peace

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Cut and sew is pretty obviously more complicated in terms of construction. A person needs to know how a garment is constructed, how it drapes and even if it can be produced. If a guy jumps in a starts kicking down crazy designs and going to a pattern maker and telling him to make a pattern of this wild piece, he will basically look like a newbie that doesn't know shit. That's why a lot of people who are not trained and do those cut up old stuff and sew them together look so obviously amateurish. In my opinion theres no real way to jump into cut and sew without proper training.

I am not suprised that many new "clothing" companies churn out tshirts because all you really need is a graphic or something catchy and have it printed (or learn to print yourself which is super easy).

If you want to learn more in terms of time, money and production, a really great book I'm currently reading now is "Fashion Designer Survival Guide" by Mary Gehlhar. She deals with the business aspect of a lot of famous designers and a lot of designers (zac posen, tommy hil, DVF, Cynthia rowley..etc..etc) contributed. It talks about financing, choosing manufacturers, legal issues and all that headachey stuff.

it's really no joke. I do agree with you, I do enjoy fun and catchy graphics but I want to see some "REAL" fashion designing rather than these grahpic designs.

As a guy attempting to start his own t-shirt/hoodie line I have to take issue with a couple things mentioned in this thread. First of all it isn't EASY to do. I suppose you can whip something up in illustrator...take it to a local screen printer.....and have him slap it on a Gildan t-shirt. If you do that...I agree that it is relatively easy to do.

I am as much interested in the dye/print process as I am in the actual graphic. Having spent the last year learning how to volume dye and print with discharge inks I can assure you that is isn't easy. I have at least 50K invested in equipment and hundreds of hours learning how to use it. I'm not interested in slapping a one color print on a white shirt and declaring to the world that my shit is "dope". I HAVE chosen to use a stock shirt from Next Level Apparel to print on. I dye the shirts to my spec and then apply the graphics in one of several ways. I am doing what interests me. I have no interest in designing a cashmere sweater or a tuxedo. I don't have the skills and really am not interested in doing it.

T-shirts catch the brunt of of all the hate on this board...probably much of it deserved. But would it really be any different if people were posting images of their new Blazer, or sweater, or Polo shirt? I don't think so....After all, what can you do in fashion that is REALLY new? You could develop a new textile, or add technical innovation (self cleaning clothes), but beyond that....what is going to be NEW? Especially in mens wear....Most of us have 2 arms and 2 legs (sincere appologies to those that don't) and there really isn't much that could be posted to this board that would warrant being called NEW. Jeans are jeans...with various washes, fits, and embellishments. Button down shirts are pretty much the same no matter who makes them. There are obvious differences in quality, fabric, and color but I have yet to see a dress shirt that I considered NEW.

I would be interested to see people post images of clothing that they consider ground breaking in terms of design. And by that I mean clothes that someone would actually wear.....not something made only for the runway involving the hose from an electrolux vacuum cleaner. The reason people are drawn to graphic t-shirts and hoodies is because they can develop something NEW. The shirt body certainly isn't radically different from the thousands of other shirts on the market, but the graphic has a chance to be unique. In a nutshell...thats why I'm doing what I do.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

Yes....50K US. I wanted to be in control of all aspects of my product. I do everything in house except make the actual shirt body. I'll never do that in house although I may design it and have it made at some point in the future.

I guess that is why I get a little irritated when people post shit about how easy it is to start a t-shirt line. I've put my money and time on the line. If it doesn't work out....so be it. Just don't tell me how easy it is to produce a line of 15 designs, complete with custom dyeing, by yourself. The upside of doing it by yourself is that you are never dependent on anyone to meet a deadline, or do as they promised. If this doesn't work I'll have no one to blame but myself. I'm very comfortable with that.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

Jay Allen don't take what I said so personal. Your product is the stuff that goes the

extra mile and I like it! I used to run a screen shop a long time ago and I know how

easy screenprinting is and I know it is a lot less labor intensive today than it was

15-20yrs ago. What you are doing is obviously nothing like the production/assembly

line stuff I was refering to. Dye processes are intense without room for error.

As for my asking for something new, I'm not talking about couture runway unfunctional

clothing. I want something comfortable but with a more unique take on fabrics,appliques

or freshness. It happens all the time. I was just throwin out an idea to those that produce

a generic T with a basic screened graphic. I'm not hating on T-shirt companies anyone

who puts out a product/creates gets my respect.

Pancho....Sorry if I came across a bit more strident than I actually felt. I recognize you as a generally thoughtful poster to this board. I guess I was just responding to those that "hate" anything that doesn't look like Bape or, in their opinion, doesn't qualify as "Street Wear". I'm not even sure what "Street Wear" is to be honest.

Certainly todays screen printer has it easier than 15 years ago. With the advent of affordable automatic presses anyone doing production runs doesn't work nearly as hard as they used to. The stuff I'm producing could never be done on an automatic press....in fact some of it isn't even done on a manual press.

Anyway...Ultimately the market decides if someones work is valid. I'll be showing at the Pool show in Vegas in Feb. Hopefully with the hundreds of buyers that attend that show I'll be able to get a real indication as to whether my stuff holds up in the current market. If it was all about work and effort....I'd be in good shape. The reality is....it doesn't matter how much work is involved, or the technical differences in your product.....it's about appealing to the buying public.

I won't have my own booth...I'm going as part of a collective. There will be 4 designers showing. I decided to do it that way because of the cost involved. I am hoping to meet a few people from SF there as well as someof the retailers I've been talking with.

Why do you attend Pool? Are you showing there as well? I've never been to the Pool show although I used to attend trade shows frequently as a buyer (but not in this market). I have a pretty good idea what to expect but I'm sure it will be an eye opening experience.

Good call on splitting the booth. I have a shop and attend for buying it's one of about 5 trade

shows I usually go to.

If you did the purchasing/tradeshow thing then you know the drill. But as a buyer I get annoyed with those who are unprepared to do biz. A few suggestions.

Have plenty of line sheets to give out not everyone will write an order at the table and a good

line sheet to refer to later has a better chance of bringing in orders.

Biz cards a must. you'd be surprised how many people run out.

Maybe some swag. Your call, but for the new guys givin away a handfull of product gets you

exposure around the world at this show to the most fashion tuned people out there. even if

the buyer does'nt like it he may give it to an employee who will rock it in the shop. I know

money is probably tight but a dozen or two shirts goes a long way.

Help out the others in the booth when people dig their stuff. They will return the favor.

keep it fun and network with reps. If you can get your product in a showroom in LA/NY

it's on and your bound to grow your sales.

Pancho, Thanks for the tips. I agree, as a former buyer it WAS irritating to try and deal with unprepared vendors. I will absolutely do the swag thing. Screw it.....like you said, you never know who will see your product and ask about it after the show.

Is there a particular format for a line sheet that you recommend. I was thinking of something fairly basic like a picture of each design, with sizing info/specs, color options, pricing, and delivery time.

What is your experience with getting terms at a show like this? I know that as a buyer I rarely bought anything without 30 day terms. People have told me to be careful giving terms to small boutiques, at least on the first order, because I will get burned. Do I need to do the whole credit application thing as well?

Any thoughts, or opinions, on this would be appreciated.

Jay

A color photo line sheet w/ colorway,sizes,prices and ship dates will suffice.

Maybe consider volume discounts. 4% off for $3,000.00 or whatever If a buyer

gets close to that dollar amount they may bump the order to achieve a measley

discount. Not usually good practice as a buyer but a lot will take the bait.

As far as terms are concerned I would recommend you get at least a generic

credit app and have it filled out before shipping so don't press it at the buy

just slip it in w/the line sheet. I would only accept terms for orders over a

certain dollar amount ($1000.00?) most shops understand you don't have

much budget so COD is fine for small orders but you don't ever have to

give more than net30 for ready to wear product. In the outdoor industry I

can get up to 120days but thats because I'm at a resort area and the biz

is seasonal.

A dealer packet is great to have ready to hand out!

just include everything in a folder w/your logo on it.

line sheet,Biz card,credit app. etc..

A lot of buyers have appointments to be to but might poke their head in on their

way to another booth if you can hand them a packet they may come back and

sit through a showing. That's why color photo line sheets are nice to have also.

great advice pancho. i would agree with everything you've said re: trade shows.

in general, i am very amused at the amount of hate generated on SF from non-industry heads on how easy it is to start up a tshirt line.... even if the tshirts are just silk screened and tagged on premade shirts, i'd like to see others try their hand at accounting, sales, marketing, design and more.... and actually succeed. its one of those things that seems so easy from afar.

3sixteen fabrications // new york city.

http://www.3sixteen.com

Edited by ajchen on Nov 14, 2005 at 06:09 PM

• 3 months later...

Danny homegrown:

just hit up Rival today, Vinny Ponti and I were musing over the We Run NY hoodie. i copped the NY Mets colorway. although not the best quality hoodie, it's a nice start for a dope nyc graphic. keep on keepin on.

also had a soft spot for the graphic b/c i thought of doing the exact same thing, about a month back. never did, but saw this today and loved it...that ever happen to you? i'm sure it has, you wanna flip something a certain way and someone else goes and does it? frustrating but whatever. i also saw a Bad Brains flip on a deck in the store, and got worried about another lost idea but theirs was different.

anyone giving you shit talking on this site is on some bullshit, and it's the main reason i stopped SF posting as much as i used to...("don't watch the bulls as much, they got too many whiteboys" type of situation). i too agree that the website shouldn't include any information about the icons depicted other than their names...and it was Hyman Roth, the character BASED on Meyer Lansky, who said the US Steel comment, wasn't it?

all in all, the We Run NY is a simple yet very dope flip of a classic icon of nyc culture. who cares how young in the game you are. rep your shit to the fullest. i know from firsthand experience, Union only liked one of my first 10 tees, and Wilkins told me Mrs. InCharge over there wouldn't take just one of a line. so obviously you guys are doing something right if they're carrying your shit.

website has a weird Private Press feel to it, i guess you were aiming for that?

Won't go into which ones I ain't feeling, but still give nice props on the less is more realness of We Run NY. I saw it hanging on the rack, and heard KRS screaming it in the background. next minute i was wearing it. Word. you'll get no hatred from me.

ONE

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

The website is very unprofessional, the clothing is really cliche bullshit generic/mainstream dead artists that everyone already buys shirts of. Very unoriginal. Boring taste. And overall is just corny as fuck.

I'm like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin'

Edited by The Diplomatic Aristocrat on Mar 11, 2006 at 08:05 PM

Quote:

The website is very unprofessional, the clothing is really cliche bullshit generic/mainstream dead artists that everyone already buys shirts of. Very unoriginal. Boring taste. And overall is just corny as fuck.

--- Original message by The Diplomatic Aristocrat on Mar 11, 2006 08:05 PM

i agree..

but its such an easy way to get in to this "underground clothing" type of scene... maybe i should do it too for some $$$

all i need is to come up with designs/logos, match the colors to the latest dunks or air forces coming out and BAM!!! instant money... its so easy for me b/c my family used to own a few garment factories, im sure they have connections to get cheap t shirts and blank hoodies since quality isnt a big deal when it matches the latest dunks right???

after im done printing the tshirts, ill shrink our logo down and make some sort of monogram type design and print them in all colors over a hoodie and sell them for 100+

my accessories will be New Era hats with our logos on it, beanies, and belts...

icon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gif

DSC01221.JPG

DSC01222.JPG

thats a tshirt in bought in macau for 4 bux USD, no brand name, just a logo printed in shiny gold...

what im trying to understand is, why are ppl actually buying in to these type of shirts?? is it really because they need a new tshirt for every pair of dunks they have? i see that a lot of brands are printing tshirts in black and mint green to match the tiffs.. how is that NOT corny at all? and for the price of 25-40 bux, wtf what makes u really think ill pay for this shit??

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

I'm planning on buying an American Apperal shirt for my Tiffanys. Don't hate on them >_>

I'm like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin'

let me try to break this down even further...

http://www.onceuponatimeinny.com/aboutus.html

founded in 2004 - thats about right when this whole type of scene started to catch on in the US

influenced by skateboarding, hip hop and punk - lol, sounds like EVERY underground clothing brand

http://www.onceuponatimeinny.com/werun.html

the WE(running logo) NY - lol, doesnt every brand have this type of shirt?? We or I ( insert logo )(insert name of place )

http://www.onceuponatimeinny.com/oneliner.html

this shirt = hey, it comes in black and mint green!!! PERFECT FOR THOSE TIFFS HUH!??!? now how many underground clothing brand use this color combo before those dunks came out?? and how many have them now?

http://www.onceuponatimeinny.com/peace.html

same thing

http://www.onceuponatimeinny.com/winter.html

you're kidding right??

im done, now hate me.

Quote:

Why u gotta bring up the Tiffs... geez.

hahahaa

I don't see where all this hatin comes from...

I like the Run shirt.... I saw a We run SF and a We run LA shirt too.....

Good job wit that one... I see it everywhere.

--- Original message by FILTHY on Mar 11, 2006 09:45 PM

i dont hate the brands, i hate the gimmick alot of these brands are using to sell... and im not buying in to it...