mrip

General TV show discussion

^Actually based off the book/comics but was supposed to happen much later

4gwFKbO.jpg

Spoilers from the IMDB boards:

"Mr. Quinlan, the creepy hooded fella, is being referred to as if he's just another vampire who happens to be against other vampires. That's not quite true. Mr. Quinlan, to borrow a common term from certain regional folklore, most closely resembles a dhampir. In other words, half vampire. 

Look at his appearance a little more closely. His skin is a bit different in color and complexion from what we've seen of other vampires, young and old. Older vampires like Eichorst lose their noses. Quinlan still has his. Also, his wide mouth doesn't appear on any other vampire we've seen, including Eichorst. 

That said, the rest of the squad is likely a bunch of genuine vampires. Notice how they're covered from head to toe. They have a much lower tolerance for sunlight than Quinlan does, or else we'd see their faces too." -American_Ninja 

"Yes it is from the books but it happens way later in the story. I can see why they moved it up but it was more of a surprise in the book." -mills71

"He is Blade of The Strain, he was made in the exact same way Blade was. The Master infected his mother while she was pregnant with him. Apparently he also has no worms in his body either." -BastardJon1

"The biggest thing with him is that he can't turn anyone. He's not infected by the worms. 

He's also not connected to the ancients in the same way the others are. He has more or less free will. 

And he's not immune to sunlight like Blade is, he can just take for a few minutes more than the others, hell maybe not even that much." -jernej-tojersu 

"They're regular vampires.. they just work for the Ancients (there's a total of 7 originals. 6 are called the Ancients & the the 7th is the Master. the Master comes from the same origin as they did.. kinda like brothers with the Master being the black sheep) . 

All the vampires cannot talk .. they communicate telepathically BUT they move their mouths to mimic talking." -btheurer

"regarding the hooded vampires at the end, i found a synopsis of comic #2 entitled "The Fall"...it says... 

The Master's attack on New York City violated an ancient vampire treaty, and now his oldest enemies seek to punish him for this transgression. Dubbed the sun warrior, Augustin "Gus" Elizalde gears up to dispatch the strain now infesting Manhattan . . . but he won't be entering the fray alone!" -jj123
Edited by willy cheesesteak

started happy valley last night.  very impressed so far.

side note... feel kinda ridic having subtitles on an English show but the main lady's accent is so strong and she talks way too fast.

happy valley is sick, that accent isn't that thick though tbh m8

+

honourable woman finished last week, again i'd wholeheartedly recommend. from the guy who made the shadow line (another must-see), kinda like smiley's people x gaza or something i dunno. 

Cranked through 4-5 episodes of BoJack Horseman last night, was entertained. Weed helps.

Is Dr. Who worth getting into? 15 minutes into the first episode and shit looked corny as hell. 

I don't watch / know much about Dr. Who but I know if you watched the actual first episode then the show will be completely different from what you expect. The first seasons the show was some educational shit, then after a couple seasons it turned into more of what it is now.

remastered the wire episodes playing this month on hbo

apparently will use 3 perf footage and now be in 16:9 (already on amazon prime apparently)

4ZGM17T.png

yntBwAZ.png

not really sure what to make of the ar change, i personally wanted to see 4:3 but in full hd at least--didn't david simon use fullscreen for a reason?

Houdini pretty fun

BoJack Horseman is pretty great, right up there with Rick and Morty for animated shows

The Tyrant season finale was pretty lame, but so is the whole show pretty much

Looking forward to this week's Masters of Sex and The Strain. Will prob try to squeeze Houdini in too, it's only like a 2 part miniseries yeah?

gonna start watching bojack horseman, seems cool

Edited by Tobi

bojack horseman is great, the ending theme is catchy as hell. Watched Family Tree with Chris O'Dowd and i really liked it. Shame it was cancelled :(

The Knick is really coming into its own with this week's episode. Great cinematography and score, interesting period drama, but I'd be lying if I didn't get super queasy from all the medical surgery stuff. Very well done.

I'm also actually really digging The Strain. It has the feel of a comic book adaptation, and I think the story telling so far is pretty well done with all the character arcs intersecting. A bit hokey, but entertaining enough and it doesn't require you to shut your brain COMPLETELY off like many shows in this genre do.

Super pissed off at HBOGO right now, couldn't watch Last Week Tonight or the new Boardwalk Empire last night. Shitty paid service is gonna push me to torrents

Edited by jayrock

i've logged into the app on my phone, but never used it. does hbogo have a wait between the tv airing and the app? 

boardwalk empire has been a good show, but i still want jimmy back. 

bojack horseman is great, the ending theme is catchy as hell. Watched Family Tree with Chris O'Dowd and i really liked it. Shame it was cancelled :(

I thought the opening sequence paired with the music in bojack was one of the best for animated I've seen in a while, the ending music really sticks with u too

does hbogo have a wait between the tv airing and the app?

i think most are available the same time as it airs live, pretty sure i was watching GoT episodes on sunday nights awhile back

chromecast streaming still isn't working, pretty frustrating. i don't wanna watch an entire episode on my damn phone

The Knick is really coming into its own with this week's episode. Great cinematography and score, interesting period drama,

I agree. However, I would like to ask, what is actually up with this whole rat stomping ordeal? Has that really been a thing?

I agree. However, I would like to ask, what is actually up with this whole rat stomping ordeal? Has that really been a thing?

wait. what?  you guys don't have that in oslo?  

Yeah it was, just like the little kid in a earlier episode poking a dead horse on the street with a stick. This period drama is very much set in a time where basic hygiene / general health info was an afterthought

My question - how is the ambulance guy and the nun"splitting" the abortions? Presumably because they're able to sell off the dead bodies, but to whom? They were burying caskets but it's not like cemeteries are looking for people??

Edited by jayrock

man the knick eps 5 was beautiful.

choice of perspectives, lines packed with so much meaning, just another Tuesday at the Knick, everything is so goddamn beautiful.  quickly becoming one of top 5 tv shows of all time for me.

personally excited for blue-eyed brown-hair's sex scene, hopefully they don't make it too short.  my favorite type a bird.

Yeah it was, just like the little kid in a earlier episode poking a dead horse on the street with a stick. This period drama is very much set in a time where basic hygiene / general health info was an afterthought

My question - how is the ambulance guy and the nun"splitting" the abortions? Presumably because they're able to sell off the dead bodies, but to whom? They were burying caskets but it's not like cemeteries are looking for people??

The hospitals and medical universities bought the bodies to experiment and practice on.  I think it was covered in an another episode they experimented on pig carcasses but it wasnt as good as human corpses.

The Knick is really great. Only 3 episodes in, but I really like it thus far. 

Watched a couple of episodes of Bojack Horseman, but it don't really find it all too funny or really clever. Its kind of entertaining through and it looks really good and the music is catchy. Kind of more of the thing I put on when I need something to watch while I eat a sandwhich

Edited by -CMM-

how does it compare with the original (which is good)?