General TV show discussion

mrip

that was an excellent episode, the conclusion of which was only accentuated by the relative calm up until that point.

but the bit i enjoyed most was rust walking out on maggie, what a thing to say.

*re: drugs/siege scene, it's indicated that rust's lived that life for at least 4 years. i didn't pay attention or keep track of the timeline, but i'm inclined to believe he has been carrying out the plan he laid out for marty; I don't think it was absurd at all.

+

the rumbling ambient track giving way to wu

bikers dressed as cops, cop dressed as biker

marty jacking the cig

you are the michael jordan of being a son of a bitch

Edited by Magsåvningsreserven

Yes! I've find that shows can either be hit or miss with soundtracks, and especially ambient sounds for certain scenes, however True Detective has been stellar so far with bringing out emotion and taking you into the scene through the sounds and shots. Especially in the more notable scenes, but besides that when they're doing transitions shots driving through Louisana, the sounds along with the cinematography = greatness!

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o1_1280.png

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o3_1280.png

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o6_1280.png

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o7_1280.png

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o8_1280.png

tumblr_n0rlc8FLp11qi1sb1o9_1280.png

Edited by MonsieurUntitled

Aka Crash did that much blow, booze, krak etc and he was still able to rambo-it thru the trap house and the hood?

over the time rust spent undercover in the past, he surely did plenty of drugs. his ability to function high after awhile sober can be chalked up to the previous experience. hes done the drugs enough in the past to hold it together during an especially stressful time, especially one that he is prepared for. its made pretty clear from multiple shots that rust was Fucked up. notably ginger and rust smoking outside gingers house before the failed robbery, rust struggles to get his words together, and rust's hesitation before resuming dialouge after snorting the first bump after the "what's it cut with? // "try it you'll like it" conversation at the biker bar. his police instincts kick in (putting the kid in the tub, busting in to the house when things go sour and having the consciousness to ask "are you the only one here? get in the bathroom") during the shootout. hes clearly fucked up, but what he knows, and loves, to do overcomes and he is able to make it to safety.

what is the track used in the end/credits of ep 3?  is it an ost?

I've been trying to find that myself.

they could have picked something better than wu-tang to play in a lousianna stash house tho

The  show is set in 1995, 2002, and 2012. The projects/stash house scene was in 1995, Wu-Tang blew up in 1994-1995, so they got that correct. Louisiana didn't have any of it's trap music, lean, chopped whatever back in 1995, or at least it wasn't big like Wu.I'm curious what you think would be better? *No sarcasm/not trying to be an assshole*

The  show is set in 1995, 2002, and 2012. The projects/stash house scene was in 1995, Wu-Tang blew up in 1994-1995, so they got that correct. Louisiana didn't have any of it's trap music, lean, chopped whatever back in 1995, or at least it wasn't big like Wu.I'm curious what you think would be better? *No sarcasm/not trying to be an assshole*

early cash money records stuff

there are tracklistings for each episode on hbo's site (it's awful to navigate: http://www.hbo.com/true-detective/episodes/1/04-who-goes-there#/true-detective/episodes/1/03-the-locked-room/music.html), doesn't include any of the ambient cuts though so i'm assuming it's original stuff. hopefully they'll release an ost once the season is done.

house of cards s02e01 does not disappoint at all. i'm about four episodes in, and that frank underwood is still at it.

another solid contribution to true detective this week. not a climatic as last week's episode, but we're introduced to quite a bit more of the overall picture.

making good progress on breaking bad. i'll probably time this out almost perfectly for the feb 24 netflix release of the final season.

kinda randomly watching some key and peele on amazon prime just for background noise, and it was funnier than i expected. i always see snippets from some of their good skits, so maybe there's some potential there. nothing i'll really pursue outside of the current queue, but still.

newest true d ep 5.

starts approximately @ 5min 26secs in and ends in about alittle over a minute @ around 6mins 30secs.

another great mystery track. ost?

YOOOOOOOOOOOO wow that "cracker ass security system" did work

the tension built during their raid of the ledoux compound ~ wild

marty's daughter blossoming into a gorgeous flower. lost it at "various states of undress... you know. like Fucking"

Edited by scientifick

Ok! Great episode as usual. I would like to hear who people think "The Yellow King"  is. 

IMO, It's not Rust, and here is why. Rust is smarter than most cops, and the fact that he has disappeared can only be one reason. He knows the killer is someone connected to the police force. He's realized that every time they make a move the "yellow king" is one step ahead, as if he/she knows where they're going and what they know. Rust does what he knows best, and that's to go undercover. He quits the force, and goes dark to solve this on his own because he knows the killer is still out there. Now while he comes off as suspect with disappearing and being caught at the scene of the crime, he's been on the case ever since the double murder guy confessed to knowing "The Yellow King".

Now my guess is it's Reverend Tuttle from the first episode here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZevK2bFGk

Just the way he comes off, almost as if he's reading them. Also he's the one that pushed to have it thrown to the task force. And the double murder guy who killed himself, said "the yellow king" is a high up person, or something of that sort. My guess is it's definitely someone connected to the police force, which is why Cohle left the police, and he won't let the two detectives search his storage unit. He's keeping all his stuff on the murders there, and doesn't want the yellow king to find out what he's doing.

Thoughts?

I think it's obviously neither detective (it would be a huge cop out otherwise)

I'm not sure if Reverend Tuttle is involved or they're just trying to make it seem that way

I think that theory that Marty's father-in-law is involved in the cult has some credit

EDIT: I'm fairly sure Tuttle is involved now

Edited by HPM

Also, did anyone catch this…. 

Untitled.jpg

So, we know that someone had to tell "The Yellow King" that the Drugstore double murderer was trying to give Cohle info on the "yellow king" in order to cut a deal. This may be a clue ^ because it jumps to Cohle searching the records, and getting " report made in error". Leading me to believe someone on the force is in with the cult, and going in to all the other murders, and changing the report details to "Report made in error." So Cohle and Hart and anyone else fishing wouldn't find anything.

'how'd you keep it out of the papers? friends in… high places?'

marty was on point about rust getting a read of the officers, and by the end of this episode it's made abundantly clear that rust has strong reservations about what happened.

it seemed to me, that when the two detectives were reading off the list of absurd accusations (dramatic irony makes u feel nice), hart was trying to hide his knowledge of this. just as the partners have obfuscated a few facts along the way (and years), it's seeming increasingly likely that there was no rift between them in 2002.

we're told rust has been seen at crime scenes, his storage space has been teased, it's somewhat obvious that he at some point went off to investigate the case free of the toxic police force—but i'd imagine he'd have gotten a good lead in order to return to louisiana.

from a more technical viewpoint, tuttle could very well be a red herring, but no way even hbo get would hire an actor of that calibre for what amounts to a cameo.

+

also, rust outlining the m-theory was interesting. perhaps they're not searching for a single killer but a cult?

everything happens again and again… it seems it's not alcohol that's reduced him to his current state—but his thoughts :oB) (prob not)

++

someone mentioned this so I went back and had to capture this:

ZyWlAaj.jpg

(hope it's clear)

+++

also, this might be of interest: The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective

++++

might come back to puke more thoughts at you later

*ohh, wait. rev tuttle is dead in the 'present' isn't he? 2002 appearance quite likely but perhaps not likely to be *the* culprit.

you know what that means then? oh my days, i spoke of grand cameos and forgot the main man himself!! the preacher aka big chief aka cool lester smooth!

more extracurriculars

(this is def my tallest post on sufu, sorry)

damn, I haven't seen this much discussion on a show in quite some time.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/04/inside-the-obsessive-strange-mind-of-true-detective-s-nic-pizzolatto.html

incredible insight from the main man himself:

"Now I feel like I’m in a really sweet spot where I can really go nuts. Like, I bought myself some credibility. One of my goals for Season Two is more authentic, faster—and stranger. It’s going to get stranger."

Stranger, eh? Giggity.

Coincidence?….. I think not. lol - My guess is there are a few people who know/involved in/covered-up the Cult's dealings. I would love to see Cohle get a glimpse of the "ritual". That would be something.

'"

But the weirdness gets even thicker in episode three. A revivalist tent preacher has the unusual name of Joel Theriot, which is one letter away from the name claimed by famed occultist Aleister Crowley, who referred to himself as Master Therion, aka The Beast 666. And I had to pause the show when I watched Theriot lower his head and make the sign of the cross on his chest—because he does it backwards (right to left, instead of left to right). Given the meticulous layering of clues and symbols throughout the other episodes, my guess is that was intentional.'""

The yellow in the show…...

2014-02-10-true-detective.jpg

tumblr_mulv59cMIg1sgjtvqo1_500.png

true-detective.jpg

alexandra-daddario-tits-true-detective-s

the most unsettling thing i've seen in the show so far was when marty's girls are playing with their dolls—it was practically swept under the rug along with eldest's drawings at school, but after the recent episode I'm wondering if it's significant to the case.

so in relation to that, it's mentioned rich people have a connection to the yellow king, is it possible that hart's father-in-law could be involved? harrelson does a great job with his monologues, like when he thinks about the case and how the solution to everything was right under his nose. hmmn, who knows right now.

hope 'therriot' or clark peters' preacher/pastor come back into it at some point…

That's a very good point, and I was also thinking the same thing. My brother said something along the lines of Hart's daughter Audrey being sexually abused by someone/ maybe grandfather?, and or seen or heard about the rituals. Hence why she was drawing those sexual acts, and playing out this…. Which could be what happens at the cult rituals. Sort of like a "Eyes wide shut" ritual.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-19-at-8.41.46-PM.png

Also….If I remember correctly, when the two girls are in the boat at the grandparents house, the sister tells Audrey to ask grandpa for help, and she screeches a "No!" Now this could be nothing, but it's something to consider, with the possibility of her being abused, and her grandpa being the abuser. And if you remember when the Grandpa and Marty had this conversation, fast forward to 2002 = Time is a flat circle, everything happens over and over and over…….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeePAXG7uBw

znBwkfX.jpg

and then fast forward to 2002 and Audrey ends up like this….

JrqFGEp.jpg

DvBRFNk.jpg

fNscsjB.jpg

DRojJx9.jpg

3OVWOBL.png

This is HUGE!

2sb049j.jpg

Does anyone remember this scene?

pWZc2et.jpg

The guy says "The parish added this (cutting the grass) to my work order." This is the school that Rianne Oliver attended, she was the girl found dead -ruled " accidental" - Which Cohle found it wasn't. The school is "Light of Way" and owned by Reverend Tuttle, and just happens to be where the "yellow king" has been leaving those bird trap/ devil trap things. This is another thing to keep in mind.

tumblr_n14ntbBl1M1su11woo1_1280.png

Also = True Detective has an 9.510 on IMDB, making it the 4th highest rated show of all time

fark, that's some stone cold foreshadowing if i ever saw it (breaking bad fans wet themselves).

though it could just be the writer's method of again demonstrating the cyclical nature of life (m-theory, etc again) though it is fascinating, particularly the 'no!' which I don't recall tbh; speaking of the in-law with all of this in mind has certainly skewed his appearance from disheveled to sinister for me though haha.

* :o at the spiral pic. the solution was in front of me the whole time?? :DB)

** yeah hart and cohle were about to enter that school building but were called away at the last second iirc, another possible exercise of power from the yellow king though unlikely imo.