General TV show discussion

mrip

klondike was alright. great actors, great superdenims, but the story suffered. felt like someone chopped off a good third of what was supposed to be there. or it coulve been just regular ol shitty writing. 

americans is decent. that russian spy office lady is hot.

anyone see uncle on bbc3? its pretty funny so far.

True Detective is one of the best shows on TV right now. Rustin Cohle's character is great, and the writing is excellent. Anyone pick up on the two main characters names? Hart and Cohle = Hot and Cold giving you an idea of how they are together. This is the best I've seen both actors, but I have to say that Mcconaughey's  character is something I didn't think I would see on a suspense drama, and he plays it perfect, while Harrelson brings some levity to the show. 

tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno3_250.gif tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno2_250.gif

tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno4_250.gif tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno5_250.gif

tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno1_250.gif tumblr_n026wuUMAi1qcxymno6_250.gif

"The ontological fallacy of expecting a light at the end of the tunnel, well, that’s what the preacher sells, same as a shrink. See, the preacher, he encourages your capacity for illusion. Then he tells you it’s a fucking virtue. Always a buck to be had doing that, and it’s such a desperate sense of entitlement, isn’t it?"

Edited by MonsieurUntitled

So far True Detective is perfect. I'm enjoying it more than I've ever enjoyed Breaking Bad or Sapranos, or any other HBO show for that. I hope its still good once Mcconaughey and Harrelson are gone this series stays good. Its gonna be an ongoing thing with a new premise and characters each season as far as I know.

yeah it's an anthology. the writer is also producing the show but people have already begun naming directors they'd like to helm the next series—for me the current creative team have to stay on (especially dp and director) because the environment they've created in this show is just sublime.

someone in a comments section elsewhere described it as 'the inside of a giant, infected stomach', which rang true to me…

i didn't really like ep 1 of true detective (worst title ever) but 2 & 3 have me hooked. i love the intro, this shot in particular:

the title is intentionally ambiguous so each season they could do something wildly different to the last

that being said I hope they keep that perfectly dark atmosphere

Crazy scene. I'm a sucker for tracking shots, but I didn't even notice until I went back and rewatched it. There are some "edit points" just in case, but I was reading an interview and apparently they managed to do it in one shot.

the walking dead has to be one of the most overrated piles of crap in recent memory. hats off to the special effects crew, but everything else sucks.

general TV sidenotes:

just started watching Rick and Morty - seems pretty awesome so far

also started Breaking Bad since the final season will be up on Netflix on Feb 24 - really impressed with the show so far, living up to the hype quite well. the writing and storytelling is very well done as I'm sure everyone is already well aware of. knowing that amc is capable of such good TV like this presumably effects my poor outlook on the walking dead's lowest common denominator style of writing

also on the dvr right now

True Detective (maybe the best show on TV atm)

Workaholics

Archer

Alway Sunny (comedy central running the 2013 fxx episodes)

looking forward to season 2 of House of Cards this week, and am going to check out The Americans and Luther on Amazon prime soon (hopefully)

Edited by jayrock

the title is intentionally ambiguous so each season they could do something wildly different to the last

that being said I hope they keep that perfectly dark atmosphere

I agree on the dark atmosphere. It's perfect for this type of show.

Another reason why it's the best name for the show is because it takes after the famous True Detective Magazine. Which features articles and stories on criminals, murders,and the detectives who solved them. So it only seems fitting that the name for a anthology show that features a murder and detectives solving that murder, to be True Detective. 

true-detective.jpg

true-detective-magazine-reelgood.jpg

a matter of tolerance brought upon by daily usage?  dat would be my guess.

If I missed it then my bad, but did he start usin heavy drugs b4 iron crusaders reunion?

I kno he did scripts all thru out the beginning and started slamming booze right b4, but I don't recall him bumping or krak tokin.

Yeah, if you remember the scene in the evidence room. He snorted a huge bump off a knife, only leading me to believe he kept up with it, because if you saw him the night they (Rust & Hart) were going to do it, he looked pretty fucked up, and not just  from the booze.

tumblr_n0soj21KS11r9tx2wo1_250.giftumblr_n0soj21KS11r9tx2wo4_250.gif

tumblr_n0soj21KS11r9tx2wo6_250.giftumblr_n0soj21KS11r9tx2wo9_r1_250.gif

IMO

Awesome episode.

If I missed it then my bad, but did he start usin heavy drugs b4 iron crusaders reunion?

I kno he did scripts all thru out the beginning and started slamming booze right b4, but I don't recall him bumping or krak tokin.

i think he was hitting the biker bars for a few days building his cover back up cuz he it looked like he didnt shave for a few days