General TV show discussion

mrip

The Strain is pretty hokey no doubt, but I'm kinda enjoying it. Nazi flashbacks make the inevitable appearance this week

Other than that, the only current show I'm following is Masters of Sex, which has been pretty good. So many character flaws with that cast, good interactions between them, etc.

I may have to finally check out The Leftovers, heard the first few episodes were kind of a snooze fest, but I have faith in HBO

The Knick is great.

Cliff Martinez does the soundtrack. Not sure why they decided to commission him for a 1900s period piece(s), but he does synth very well. 

like it better than drive & only god forgives

https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/cliff-martinez-son-of-placenta-previa-from-the-knick-ost

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Last Week Tonight killed it again, great piece on the shitshow going down in Mizzou. Pretty fucked up

Good episode of The Strain this week. Seems to be setting up the story arc for the remainder of the season. Pretty outlandish, but still way better than The Walking Dead, so there's that

^Actually based off the book/comics but was supposed to happen much later

4gwFKbO.jpg

Spoilers from the IMDB boards:

"Mr. Quinlan, the creepy hooded fella, is being referred to as if he's just another vampire who happens to be against other vampires. That's not quite true. Mr. Quinlan, to borrow a common term from certain regional folklore, most closely resembles a dhampir. In other words, half vampire. 

Look at his appearance a little more closely. His skin is a bit different in color and complexion from what we've seen of other vampires, young and old. Older vampires like Eichorst lose their noses. Quinlan still has his. Also, his wide mouth doesn't appear on any other vampire we've seen, including Eichorst. 

That said, the rest of the squad is likely a bunch of genuine vampires. Notice how they're covered from head to toe. They have a much lower tolerance for sunlight than Quinlan does, or else we'd see their faces too." -American_Ninja 

"Yes it is from the books but it happens way later in the story. I can see why they moved it up but it was more of a surprise in the book." -mills71

"He is Blade of The Strain, he was made in the exact same way Blade was. The Master infected his mother while she was pregnant with him. Apparently he also has no worms in his body either." -BastardJon1

"The biggest thing with him is that he can't turn anyone. He's not infected by the worms. 

He's also not connected to the ancients in the same way the others are. He has more or less free will. 

And he's not immune to sunlight like Blade is, he can just take for a few minutes more than the others, hell maybe not even that much." -jernej-tojersu 

"They're regular vampires.. they just work for the Ancients (there's a total of 7 originals. 6 are called the Ancients & the the 7th is the Master. the Master comes from the same origin as they did.. kinda like brothers with the Master being the black sheep) . 

All the vampires cannot talk .. they communicate telepathically BUT they move their mouths to mimic talking." -btheurer

"regarding the hooded vampires at the end, i found a synopsis of comic #2 entitled "The Fall"...it says... 

The Master's attack on New York City violated an ancient vampire treaty, and now his oldest enemies seek to punish him for this transgression. Dubbed the sun warrior, Augustin "Gus" Elizalde gears up to dispatch the strain now infesting Manhattan . . . but he won't be entering the fray alone!" -jj123
Edited by willy cheesesteak

started happy valley last night.  very impressed so far.

side note... feel kinda ridic having subtitles on an English show but the main lady's accent is so strong and she talks way too fast.

happy valley is sick, that accent isn't that thick though tbh m8

+

honourable woman finished last week, again i'd wholeheartedly recommend. from the guy who made the shadow line (another must-see), kinda like smiley's people x gaza or something i dunno.