General TV show discussion

mrip

Kind of ironic that they aired a more violent/gory episode instead of ep 4...

it had less to do with gore and had more to do with children dying.

If anyone never watched vikings, you should. It's freakin awesome and its on the history channel

god that shit sucks. why do scandanavians have british accents?

Tonight's episode of Hannibal redeemed all of the stupid rescheduling/pulling of 104. Amazing. I really, really hope it doesn't get cancelled.

I also just watched both seasons of Edgar Wright's short lived Spaced, which I can't believe I've taken this long to watch.

hannibal is not gonna get cancelled, and spaced was amazing.

on the subject of perfect tv, i love that hbo2 shoes an episode of the sopranos every night at 8.

and oh my god this season of game of thrones might be the best yet.

^ so what's the secret to liking mad men?  i tried to start it again and can't make it past episode 4.  this is literally the fifth time i've done the same routine... i can never make it to episode 5.

i mean what is it -- do the characters get better? do they grow on you? i'm trying to force myself watch watch ep5 and like the show.

could someone please go to the banana stand right now

r3Ng5fH.jpg

https://twitter.com/arresteddev

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bananastand&src=hash

apparently, some stars will make surprise appearances as well?

it's coming to London, NYC, LA

Community finale this evening/already on the east coast, as well as a new Hannibal!

Um. So. Hannibal tonight...WHAT IS THIS SHOW ON? This show has been easily one of my favorites to watch but tonight's episode blew everything that came before it out of the water. This was flawless execution of a TV episode. Music was outstanding, cinematography was perfect, plotting was excellence, acting from every character was intense and deeply foreboding, and holy fuck the setup for the next episode.

Watch Hannibal, and specifically watch this episode. It is a dramatic break from normal network television, its maintained aesthetic is gorgeous to watch, and every actor is bringing incredible life to their part. Hugh Dancy is making Will Graham a fascinating protagonist, Caroline Dhavernas is playing her conflicted role with great poise, Laurence Fishburne is only getting better and better as troubles and guilt stack upon his character, Hettienne Park has had some great banter as well as a very interesting relationship to the character of Will Graham, and motherfucking Mads Mikkelsen is crushing as Hannibal. Absolutely crushing. The subtleties of his interpretation of the character oh Hannibal is an absolute treat. Tonight's episode especially.

^ Yeah the dude playing Hannibal is great but I find Hugh Dancy somewhat annoying.  I don't know what it is but Edward Norton didn't portray the character like that at all... 2 different actors, different interpretations, blah blah blah, whatever.

I was listening to a news segment on the way to work this morning about how NBC is failing miserably right now.  During primetime, they actually have lower ratings than some major spanish soap-ish channel... easily behind all the other major networks (ABC, CBS, Fox).  I know Hannibal has gotten good reviews but it doesn't have that many viewers compared big dramas on major networks.

I'm just worried that it's a little graphic and too much for basic cable.  Pulling ep4 doesn't help either.  Hopefully NBC get's their shit together... I really don't wanna have to start watching Castle or some shit like that.

Hugh Dancy interpretation versus Edward Norton; NBC doing terribly

I think that's what I like about Hugh Dancy, to be honest. If you've been watching so far, here's why. 

The progression of the show has been carefully exploring his descent from even a somewhat stable mental state which required almost total isolation due to his extreme empathy. Every "conversation" with Hannibal he makes sure to bring up, "What is Jack doing to you?" because even from the conflicted perspective of a concerned psychiatrist/serial killer/colleague with respect for what Will is doing, its incredibly clear that working for Jack is taking an immense mental toll on Will. This has continued throughout the season and is an important question for the survival of Will Graham as well as the capture of Hannibal. We've seen his dark, dark dreams start to spill over between the land of dreams and reality, he's started sleep walking out of stress, and now he even admits he doesn't ever want to sleep. It's a necessary part of human maintenance of life and he wants to deny himself even that because of how terrifying his dreams are. Things are not at all well with Will Graham, and with that in mind, I think Hugh Dancy's performance is suited to the part perfectly.

The show, as a whole, is especially concerned with the psychological state of its characters. I don't think its any coincidence that it pairs grisly death scenes with psychological examinations, because it is drawing a comparison between the analysis of bodily injuries and "normal" medicine and the analysis of mental illness and psychiatry. For this, I cannot commend the show enough. In both the crime scene investigations and the psychological examinations, there are debates between colleagues, subtleties of diagnosis, and the final word that is Will Graham. Even though he is an incredibly flawed character and we watch him struggle with his gift, his gift to be completely and entirely in someone else's shoes is incredible and a gift that grants insights that are difficult if not impossible to ascertain from the perspective of someone who cannot fully imagine themselves in another person's shoes.

Just a few of my thoughts on the show. I stand by that it is brilliant television and I am so sorry to hear that NBC is doing poorly. If this show gets cancelled I will be heartbroken. :(

Anyone else notice 'SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE' on the chalkboard in the Community finale?

I'm glad it got renewed. It may have gone downhill but it's still better than most.

Edited by Owlix

festering pieces of shit like community get renewed but actually good shows like happy endings get cancelled

Booby stays butthurt about his cancelled TV

I'd let that shit die, wouldn't insert an IV

It nose-dived hard, but shitting on Community?

Seasons 1 through 3 solid then got fucked by NBC

Fired Dan Harmon, catered to Chevy Chase

Broadcasting shows with about 1/8 the pace

They put Fallon's new idea in its previous time slot

Anyone end up happy with that decision? I thought not

Dialogue moves quick, you've clearly stayed slow

Probably best you take your bags and motherfuckin go

community shoulda went out like obi-wan instead of mace windu. i stopped watching around episode 3 of season 4 because it was really starting to depress me how bad it was getting. then i realized i stopped watching tv all together. workaholics picked up though, straight LORDING!

^ yeah i watched rectify and enjoyed it.  definitely slow at first but it was good.  i need to check out top of the lake.

i also started watching person of interest.  it's pretty corny but somewhat entertaining... however i could see where it might get super repetitive.

hannibal is pretty dope, but i fucking hate annoying forensics team.  hoping that hannibal will soon kill and eat gay kid in the hall and azn bitch.

Edited by Woogle