Disco/Funk Thread

genesis

I am totally groovin' on some old tracks. I just came across this Diana Ross track, called, "Telephone" (

).

Other than the fact that I can't find this album for download anywhere, I am interested in this whole atmosphere. I know the guys at Valerie (http://valeriecherie.blogspot.com) and DFA are trying to bring back this feel with some new artists and mixes, but I was wondering what else is out there, new and old.

Just like everyone else, I DJ electro music all over my college. I'm hatin' on it as of late! I just wanna to bring the funk back.

The peak of actual Disco/funk crossover is Parliament - Uncle Jam. That is the best disco funk album.

It sounds like you're talkin about just straight disco. If you want hot disco, check out the new DFA (or is it James Murphy?) Fabric Live mix. It's just crazy dancey dubby disco tracks, mixed fuckin perfect.

Also tight is Giorgio Moroder. Dude was pimp, like a mix of Kraftwerk and Donna Summer (who he worked with sometimes doing synth stuff). Plus he was always posing with dope sunglasses

moroder.jpg

giorgio is soo dope.

check out Kano also.

the valerie guys i wouldn't really call disco (i'm fucking obsessed with all of them though).

i can't really say much about old disco because i'm not all that familiar with it, but within the last 6 months nu-disco/balearic has been really doing it for me.

check out tensnake, todd terje (he put out 2 albums of edits he's done, fucking amazing), lindstrom & prins thomas....and if you dig those, check aeroplane, studio, boat club.... most importantly air france (though they're less funk more balearic- one of the best things i've heard in years).

you might also dig the juan maclean

also another related genre is death disko. some coming out on Italians do it better, really amazing stuff.... farah, chromatics, glass candy.

70's horror film death disko like Goblin:

padded cell

the emperor machine

sorry, might be a little overwhelming. hope you dig some of these guys.

It sounds like you're talkin about just straight disco. If you want hot disco, check out the new DFA (or is it James Murphy?) Fabric Live mix. It's just crazy dancey dubby disco tracks, mixed fuckin perfect.

Also tight is Giorgio Moroder. Dude was pimp, like a mix of Kraftwerk and Donna Summer (who he worked with sometimes doing synth stuff). Plus he was always posing with dope sunglasses

I haven't listened to that mix yet, I'm snatching it right now. Also, Giorgio Moroder is my man, I mixed his song 'Baby Blue' in one of my mixes (http://www.zshare.net/audio/19307081394bd416/)

70's horror film death disko like Goblin:

padded cell

the emperor machine

Thanks for reminding me of Goblin! ( I fucking love Zombi ). I'll check out Kane and all the rest when I have the time.

The feedback is much appreciated. Check out my mix and tell me what you think, it's a little rough on the edges though, so be friendly!

The peak of actual Disco/funk crossover is Parliament - Uncle Jam. That is the best disco funk album.

yo - (not just) knee deep is sooo dope:

I'm a trumpeter, and have been getting really in Tom Browne the last year or so. Most famous for that track 'Funkin for Jamaica', but I just got onto this one 'Thighs High' recently. Real fresh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKR5FId6zd4

PS great thread will +rap when i can.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread with a query

I recently heard a hiphop song (could have been a remix/mashup) that uses the groove from 'got to be real' by cheryl lynn. trying to figure out who it is. anyone know what i'm talking about?

done a bit of a search on the web but no results. it's not any of the sampled songs listed in the wikipedia entry for the got to be real...

however i did find this mash-up of the song with a ciara song (1 2 step). it's very cut-and-paste, but the two songs work well together imo...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyw8K8ZVOJA

• 5 years later...