Pics of special denim creations (non jeans)

pacioli

Please use this thread to share special non-jeans creations related to denim and indigo. Everything from bags, vests, jackets, quilts, etc are game. Provide a description of why the pieces are particularly interesting.

First up are some beautiful items from Kiya, Al's Attire, and Cotton Duck. (originally posted on my blog).

Some Things Money Can't Buy

1.jpg

2.jpg

Christmas came early this year. Look at what arrived in the mail from Self Edge and crew.

First up is the one-of-a-kind, custom-made, Self Edge tweed denim jacket. Just in time for the advent of cool weather.

3.jpg

4.jpg

It is made of 14 oz recent deadstock Cone denim woven on antique American-built Draper shuttle looms. I believe only 3 or 4 people in the world still have yardage of this special selvage denim. It contains a special weft yarn spun in America with colored nubs. The resulting cloth is a sturdy denim that pays tribute to the Harris Tweed.

5.jpg

The styling and specs are by Kiya Babzani, proprietor of Self Edge.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Constructed by the infallible Al's Attire.

11.jpg

Selvage hanger loop.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Pocket watch chain button hole front.

14.jpg

Pocket watch chain button hole back.

15.jpg

16.jpg

The pocket flaps nod to another classic.

17.jpg

The entire jacket in general and the collar stitching and pocket flaps in particular are inspired by the Flat Head x 092707, which is Kiya's wedding suit (also by Al's Attire).

18.jpg

The other item I received is just as special and unique. It is a beautiful cap handmade by Samuel de Goede, Wild Child designer, Superfuture Supertalk moderator, Mister Freedom model, and by all indications a renaissance man.

19.jpg

The material is a vintage, soft wheat flour bag.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Samuel's alias is Cotton Duck.

23.jpg

The cap is reversible. One section uses a different denim from the rest of the cap. Over time the difference will become more apparent as the two denims fade to contrasting colors.

24.jpg

25.jpg

Phenomenal work guys!

Sorry for the long tease but these pieces are not available anywhere. There are plenty of other superb articles to buy at Self Edge.

Hey Henry, great pieces! As some of you may know, I do the chain stitching for Self Edge, but I also have my shop on Etsy where I sell my denim wares. Instead of just posting pics of my wallets and things, here is a collection of some of my more limited designs:

1254793316_3763031000.jpg

Selvage denim yo-yo bags made for Anti-Yo's Busine$$. I believe I made 80 of these. It was a real learning experience for me and way more work than I expected.

1046739924_157e06c4dd.jpg

Custom 20oz Heineken Cozy with leather bottom. This was a commissioned piece, with scraps from a pair of Flat Heads. Note the matching wallet.

935986871_bf85a698ba.jpg

Here's a 40oz cozy.

1465287274_084605babc.jpg

Custom selvage garter belt. A gift made for Kiya and Demitra's wedding.

773972284_8c7b590f86.jpg

773972264_9d2833200d.jpg

Denim hats made from a pair of jeans. You can't see it, but the inside lining is made from the inside pocket lining.

1574049249_0b22364504.jpg

iPhone case made from Nudie jeans scraps and the bag a pair of Nudie underwear came in.

2766357586_c48cd9c4e0.jpg

Selvage denim coffee cozies. Made from scraps from tailored jeans.

These pics were all culled from my sewing set on flickr. It's been a while since I've taken a look at some of these projects... I think there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Thanks. If anyone is interested in the coffee cozies, I have 8 selvage coffee cozies listed on my site and 3 twenty-one ounce ones from Iron Heart scraps that aren't listed on my shops. I could sell these for $12 each or two for $20, just email me yoyogenius at gmail.

After digging through my pics and posting pics of my wares for this thread, I found myself highly motivated to make some more stuff, so I whipped up these art supply cases and wrote about them on my blog.

2892002764_29a4d98d27_o.jpg

2892002640_7dc49c2391.jpg

I'm happy to see a thread like this and can't wait to see more of other people's creations.

Hey Doc that art supplies case looks phenomenal. Love indigo selvage line. I just posted pics of a vintage chore jacket that has an indigo selvage line. It's in the Chore Coats thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=1290783#post1290783

Here are pics of a selvage canvas pencil case. The warp and weft are indigo. The fading is quite interesting.

It is made by Roy Patrick Slaper. He is a self-taught sewer and designer working on a denim line and store called ROY in Oakland, CA, in which he hand-makes denim clothing.

sept08054.jpg

sept08057.jpg

sept08058.jpg

sept08056.jpg

sept08063.jpg

sept08062.jpg

Very interested in the idea of the coin pocket piece--any ideas on where something like this could be purchased? Cheep, maybe we could see some better pictures?

Hi guys. Got this beauty cardholder in the post just last week from the amazing folks at Cone Denim. Its the same 13.5oz denim used on AW jeans :). Can't wait to get some wear on it, will post pic's when it does!

cardholder02dc9.jpg

cardholder03at0.jpg

cardholder01wb5.jpg

Japanese-made indigo doorknob-hanging thingamajig from one of the best co-workers a guy can have. Holds everything from cologne to passport to wallet and other misc. things you cannot affort to not have close by.

japaneseindigothingamajig004.jpg

japaneseindigothingamajig001.jpg

japaneseindigothingamajig002.jpg

japaneseindigothingamajig003.jpg

Fre$co- unfortunately I don't have any other Post O'Alls pieces to show. Maybe that will change one day.

More posting less chatting.

proto1.jpg

Naked and Famous baseball gloves.

Prototypes pictured. Yellow leather has been replaced by red one.

Made in Japan.

18oz big slub, Japanese selvage denim.

Only 60 were made. Limited availability in US and Japan by end of month.

Ok so I thought I would explain a little bit about this piece. It is the second off of a sample we are working on here at Rising Sun Indigo goods, its concept piece is a beautiful indigo dyed cotton victorian blouse, we made allot of changes and are still working on the third off which will be a bit different than this one. The idea is to make it in a great light weight indigo chambray.