Dry Cleaning

booya

well, i owned a apir of XX501's for about 3 years unwashed...i use dryel (the have a much milder smelling one now) with 2 fabric softener sheets (for laundry scent) i dont have any complaints, and the jeans look ok..

you can start to see the blue hue very faitly now, so i'll give it a couple more years to fully develop.

Quote:

Is it true that raw denim loose the lustre when dry-cleaned?

Does it happen with Dryel?

--- Original message by Geowu on Jul 11, 2005 10:45 PM

the shiny look on rigid denim is starch. if your wear your jeans with out rinsing the starch out , they stay "shiny" after long wear. if you need to get them cleaner smelling, use fabreeze.

the problem is startch, mixed with sweat causes the fabric to fall apart (not fade) faster. i used to always wear my rigid jeans without washing them first and dry clean inside out only. all of those jeans ripped in the crotch, knees, rear pockets etc.. or had startch holes on the rear knee before they really faded down alot.

i have recently started to rinse inside out and air dry my jeans before starting to wear them, they dont look as good at first and have a little more drape to them, but if you hand wash them every 3 months they fade alot better and faster without getting as many holes. i think they look more natural and has more color shifting in them, you can also see the red-caste in the indigo better. i am actually likeng the look of my jeans this way alot more. if you rinse your jeans on and stretch them out while they are wet, then air dry them on a hanger your natural creases will dry in place.

anyone else have other methods? im curious.

sweet-orr

I think thats why i like using dryel...

-i turn them inside out, and while its turning in the bag, you got hot steam which should (i hope) soften the jean to a certain extent...of course the fabric softener sheets added helps too.....but ask the pros (ring ring) -maybe he has a better approach.

That's interesting, sweet orr. So, do you know what kind of starch is this, and how is it applied to give the lustre/shine? As to my jeans, I want to get a green/yellow cast not clean blue, so I don't plan to wash. Maybe dry-cleaning can make them more greyish... but will that remove the starch and consequently the lustre?

Edited by Geowu on Jul 12, 2005 at 06:55 PM

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if it depends on the leather, although when I have seen the damage it's been on thin deerskin leather patches (a lot of Japanese repro's use these).

I've a feeling it's to do with the evaporation process that occurs at the end of a dry cleaning cycle. Heat + solvent is probably the culprit.

My assumption is that not all dry cleaners are equal and PRPS are probably just covering themselves in case of damage from dry cleaning.

• 4 months later...