Dry Cleaning

booya

I handwash my Lilies tings but I am not so gentle as some of you seem to be. :o

as has been said basically... RO says his clothing is made to develop as it's life goes on, and become unique to each person by way of stretching, little holes, wearing, etc, which is why he uses such delicate fabrics on the garments. so while I am pretty gentle (no machine washing), I wouldn't say that I baby them entirely.

Thread derail...

I have a robert geller knit, which is 95% wool 5% cashmere, it's the black and white striped one, it says dry clean only, but can I was it in wool wash and leave to dry flat? the only think that worries me is whether the colours may run?

I handwash my tees, squeeze out the water, then hang dry them outside to dry. There are holes on them, but I just sew up the really big ones. Looks better that way.

do you have pics of some of the holes that have surfaced in yours? where do they normally develop?

Thread derail...

I have a robert geller knit, which is 95% wool 5% cashmere, it's the black and white striped one, it says dry clean only, but can I was it in wool wash and leave to dry flat? the only think that worries me is whether the colours may run?

any particular reason why you don't want to get it dry cleaned (when it says dry clean only)?

I used to not want to do it back in the day simply because it can get expensive, but I figure if I'm spending the money to buy the nice stuff, then I can afford to take care of it properly and get it drycleaned. Plus I would feel like an idiot if I jacked it up because I didn't want to pay the 7euros at the drycleaners.

do you have pics of some of the holes that have surfaced in yours? where do they normally develop?

No pics, but the holes are near the hemline. The tees are pretty long and cover my ass most of the time, so I guess the buttons and hardware of my jeans tear into the fabric. I don't really mind though. Just if the hole gets too big I stitch it up a little.

Just try not to be too OCD about it.

• 3 weeks later...
the should a thread dedicated to how to wash delicate jawnz and shiz, unless there already is one then disregard this.
THis is a good idea...

Also if you are going to get wool and knits dry cleaned, they tend to come back with a bit of a chemical dry cleaning smell

• 3 months later...

So what are your thoughts on dry cleaning? I spilled an entire glass of coke on my Nudie SJ's and got them dry cleaned. I had only been wearing them for about a week, and I am now 3 months in and they seem to be wearing normally. So did I dodge a bullet or does the dry cleaning process not effect dry denim at all?

from what i hear, the chemicals used in dry cleaning weakens the denim....but not many ppl have tried so not much info is out there...

Not surprising since that shit is really, really, really bad for the environment and the health of whoever is doing the cleaning. Plus if you can still smell it on the item you had cleaned, there is a lot of residue left on there. Ideally you shouldn't be able to smell it, but that rarely happens.

So what are your thoughts on dry cleaning? I spilled an entire glass of coke on my Nudie SJ's and got them dry cleaned. I had only been wearing them for about a week, and I am now 3 months in and they seem to be wearing normally. So did I dodge a bullet or does the dry cleaning process not effect dry denim at all?

did you really need to make a new post about bullshit?

fools are way too sensitive when it comes to their jeans. its not like you are caring for a baby....

Not surprising since that shit is really, really, really bad for the environment and the health of whoever is doing the cleaning. Plus if you can still smell it on the item you had cleaned, there is a lot of residue left on there. Ideally you shouldn't be able to smell it, but that rarely happens.

you are wrong and uneducated. do research relative to modern cleaning methods. i own multiple drycleaners... maybe this is still true in Canada, but no longer in the US. Any caustic chemical is now banned. but to answer the o.p.'s question, if you go to a high quality, reputable cleaner... they will know what raw/dry denim is and care for it accordingly. don't go to a dollar cleaners or fluff and fold and expect to get the same quality from a good dry cleaners (my highest end shopping charges about 9-12 $'s for a pair of pants).

actually good question, dry cleaning involves only chemicals and no water,

in a way its most likely safe to dry clean your jeans and not get any undesired results. however, it weakens the fabric slightly, and i dont really like it as it aint as natural as a good ol' fashioned soak/wash

you are wrong and uneducated. do research relative to modern cleaning methods. i own multiple drycleaners... maybe this is still true in Canada, but no longer in the US. Any caustic chemical is now banned.

I was told that by a cleaner. Perchloroethylene was the first chemical to be labeled carcinogenic and isn't officially banned anywhere in the US. This is still the primary chemical used, no?

Sweet baby jesus, just wash that nasty pair of jeans in some hot water and a call it a day. Cotton, from the cotton PLANT, actually does pretty well when it comes in contact with water. They ain't $3000 bespoke suede shoes.

But you have to wear them 365 days without washing!!!

I dry cleaned my A.P.C. new cures a while ago. Worst fucking idea ever. I only did it because A.P.C.'s website said so.

They shrunk a whole heap (and didn't stretch back out) and the feel of the fabric is just gone (not just the starch).

I had gone a year and 3 months without washing them (but hardly any wear due to the fact I have to be in a suit during the week) and the smell was just too much. I was living in HK at the time and the humidity really gets to it).

As someone who used to do it, dry cleaning is pretty pointless. It doesn't give you the crisp feel of new jeans - and it doesn't stop fading. I tried it when I was trying to keep my Lee 101s dark for as long as possible, and it brings out the crocked areas.

Any odd stains can usually be spot-washed with laundry soap. And plenty of stains disappear of their own accord anyway. I got mud all over my 55 501s when I went camping in the English 'summer'... it's more or less worn off, and what's left adds to their patina.