Where is supreme LA going to be.

GINOISBEST

BOARDC3-WHAT DID I TELL YOU YOUNGIN'...GET OFF THIS THREAD. YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT FROM GRANOLA. YOU WAITED IN LINE? THAT'S WHAT WE CALL "OUT OF THE LOOP". IT TAKES 2 SECONDS TO SPOT A SKATE HEAD THAT WILL ROCK IT WITH RESPECT, AND THAT KID DON'T WAIT IN LINES. HE DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT LIMITED QTY'S. AND IT TAKES 1 SECOND TO SPOT A BANDWAGON RIDER. THE ONLY REASON SUCKERS MADE IT TO SUPREME IT BECAUSE THEY OUT GREW ZOO YORK GEAR AND THIER FIRST INDEPENDENT TRUCKS TEE THAT THEY SAW PHARELL WEAR. SURE SUPREME MOVES UNITS BUT FOR WHAT, THAT LOOT. AND AGAIN...IT'S A SKATESHOP, A HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL SKATE SHOP. WE SELL SKATE BOOKS, DVD'S, KICKS, GEAR, WOOD, WHEELS AND ALL THE OTHER ITEMS THAT ARE FOUND IN A SKATE SHOP, NOT A CLOTHING STORE.

GET IT RIGHT AND DO SKATEHEADS THE FAVOR AND NEVER WEAR SUPREME OR ANY OTHER SKATE BRAND EVER. THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'LL EVER BE ADDRESSING YOU. NOW GO!

MINDSPRAY IS RIGHT -FOR SKATERS BY SKATERS. NO ONE KNEW ABOUT LAFAYETTE AND SUCKERS WERE FINE PLAYING NINTENDO AND BEING STUPID BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S. SKATEHEADS BLEW UP SOHO. NOW EVERYONE IS EATIN' DOWN THERE.

through hype and thus greater demand, they inflate prices so high that those originally down can no longer afford it

THAT MAY BE TRUE, THE PRICES ARE HIGHER THAN AVERAGE BUT IF ANYONE WAS ORIGINALLY DOWN GET THE CUT RATE OF JUST FOR FREE. AND LOTS OF HEADS GET IT FOR FREE. THE THING IS THAT SKATE HEADS DIDN'T HYPE IT. JAPAN AND HK HYPED IT AND FOR THE MOST PART THEY'RE ALL SUCKERS TOO. I GO TO JAPAN ALOT AND REAL HEADS DON'T EVEN ROCK SUPREME, STUSSY, APE OR RECON. THEY ROCK THIER OWN STEE. NO ONE FROM TOKYO WEARS THOSE BRANDS. IT'S ALL THE SUBURBAN SUCKERS THAT BULLET TRAIN IN AND GO BACK WITH BAGS. SO BASICALLY IMPORT SUCKERS DICTATED WHAT DOMESTIC NEW BORN SUCKERS SHOULD BUY. MAN IT JUST GETS WORSE....

OUR CULTURE HAS GOT LEECHES ON ON IT. THE CORPRATE KIND AND THE STREET KIND. PEOPLE JUST THINK THAT THEY CAN BUY PROSKATER OR A ZOO TEE AND BE DOWN. WHAT THE FUCK DOES SLIM JIM HAVE TO DO WITH SKATING? BUT THERE'S A SAYING..

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT 'EM, USE 'EM. AND ALL THAT MEANS IS THAT. YO, YOU WANNA GIVE ME A REALITY SHOW? PAY ME! OH FREE CELL PHONES AND IPODS... COOL. IF THE CORPORATIONS WANT TO PAY US COOL. IF THE STYLESUCKER WANTS TO BUY FROM US COOL, BUT IS GONNA COST YOU. AND YOU CAN NOT BUY RESPECT. SKATEBOARDERS ARE IN THE MIDDLE AND JUST CAKE OFF FROM THE TOP AND BOTTOM.

SHIT IS WACK

skaters have been bite off of for a while now. i used to skate in high school and kids then would rock all types of skate brands shoes, shirts, sweaters. idependent, etnies, dc, etc. and they never skated once in there life, let alone know what a truck is. how is this any different than rocking supreme? the spot is a skate shop. i too would be very upset and angry with all the zombies that come in and buy supreme just cuz its the cool thing to do. now a days all kids see is "supreme" and they dont care about nothing else but the name.

My 2¢

If Supreme was really so concerned or hated their image being so bastardized by Non Skaters rocking their brand then why bother with "Limited edition" this and that which mainly serves to entice re-sellers who in turn then Hype the brand to markets Supreme never intended to be associated with.

Further i gotta say you're ignoring the fact that a lot of us grew up with Skate brands as just clothing, and only associate to it as form of design they've liked as kids (before they even knew any of this nonsense) and continue to still be attracted to it's style even now. Almost ALL of the major skate brands of the time were sold at Kid R Us and Macy's Kids dept when we were all in elementary school, come on!

I had a Powell Perallta (among others) T-shirt when i was in the 4th grade... I had no real clue what it meant at the time, I liked it.. my Mom bought it! In the 5th grade I started noticing kids skateboarding more and saw they were wearing a lot of the same clothes I was. I never associated that these were skate brands until I was a little bit older. But I'm not the only kid who was like this. I guarantee a whole slew of people who spent their childhoods in the 80s wore skate clothes oblivious to what they were because they were too young to understand at the time.

I never Skated, i used to always BMX and still do.. and all of my friends at the time who also BMXed mostly wore Skate brands as well. It was marketed to kids that age regardless if they skated or not! So you can't be pissed off at a whole generation of people who don't skate, or don't skate anymore who are willing to give their support to Skate labels now because they grew up on them. I remember when i discovered Supreme in High School.. I loved it because it reminded me of everything I loved about my childhood but now more mature in a way.

I understand your frustration with people who Hype the brand and know nothing of the culture and are merely rocking it cause say they saw Pharell in a video with it. And that's fine.. thats what destroys a label, over exposure. But don't lump them in with people who understand the culture, grew up with and grew up wearing the clothes just because they don't skate. Like I said.. if you're in your mid 20s then as a kid you grew up with Skate brands being what was generally pushed onto you in elementary school.

your beef is with the Re-sellers not people who appreciate the culture but don't skate or don't skate anymore.

please excuse my typos.

(Now I await Hock's witty well thought out reply)

Edited by Dolo on Sep 16, 2004 at 04:05 PM

so, basically, it's OK to be oblivious because your mommy bought it for you? get the fuck outta here.

sorry to date myself, but you're the embodiment of a poser.

i can understand supreme/jupafett being annoyed/upset about people not even caring about the actual "skate" part of their stores (i always saw kids skating outside/inside the ny store), but riding a board seems to be such a small part of skating these days.

are you a fucking dense??

I just spent a whole post explaining to you that theres a whole generation of kids who aren't oblivious and understand and respect the culture but don't skate... why? because it was marketed to them when they were to young to understand what it was really about, But grew up ither skating themselves or understanding and appreciating the sport. That clear it up? Not to mention a whole post explaining why that real animosity should be placed on the re-sellers, who could care less about a culture and just the mark up.

How is it any different than the Jordans you rock?? Break any ankles on the court Dusty?? OR how about your Adidas track top.. where you jogging to?? that soccer game to do a kick flip??? Or how about your ball cap, you getting ready to catch a pop fly while ordering at McD's?? When you sport your camo, you ready to enroll Dusty? Or have you ever owned anything with a fred perry logo on it but not a hardcore album... cause i'd hate to redirect that poser back at you. But really what's the point of doing that when it's all become moot, understand now? probably not though

Edited by Dolo on Sep 16, 2004 at 06:10 PM

ok, all your posts are really long, so i just skimmed them all. but i think really, the

deal isn't as complex as you guys are making it out to be. of course, the idea of

re-sellers fucking things up for kids who are genuinely dedicated to the culture sucks.

but as for people buying supreme good who don't skate can't necessarily be the

problem... i mean, it's this kind of business that enables them to open another door

and contruct what seems to be a state of the art bowl (have you seen the frame

work on that shit?!).

business is business. and supreme is doing it well. for all the geeks to follow and jump

into a skate lifestyle is ok. that's the brand's appeal. and that drives high dollars. for

those who skate and those who grew up around skating (alluding to dolo's message)

understand the brand's roots. I think the same thing happened to DC Shoes.

I don't know, I like to think in simple terms and cut out the fluff.

*and off the subject, but I took the day off and went skating yesterday; one of the sickest sessions EVER. i hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

dig.

I think you have to look at the situation as a whole. Supreme is a different animal now then when it started in 94. Back then it was brought up by skaters and downtown kids which created the image. For the first few years being a skateshop may have been more of a focal point to the brand, (and the LA bowl deliberately tries to bring it back in that direcction), but basically Supreme is a t-shirt/hat/clothing brand. That is the focus of the company both creatively and money wise. There are many seasons where boards are not put out at all and the Japanese stores dont carry any skate gear as far as hardware. Im not saying any of this is bad, it is what it is. Supreme is fine as a boutique skateshop in 94 that transformed into a Clothing brand that carries skateboards in some of its stores. It is popular both for its quality and for its exlusive nature. You wouldnt have that exclusive nature without a ton of people out side of skateboarding wanting the product

Its ok to say that you are taking advantage of all of the "non-skating suckers" that wait in line and that is why you sell so many clothes and why there isnt anything really to do with skateboarding in the Japanese stores, but as a company you have to live with the image that you create for yourself. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

And its true, pretty much all the people you actually see wearing supreme that fulfill the original image of the company probably dont pay for the clothes. They get them free one way or another. But at the end of the day its a business and I really dont believe that James, or anyone else, would choose to get rid of the majority of their customers to oblige the few "cool" kids who are tired of seeing "non-skaters" wearing a brand that has grown somewhat out of the narrow degree of skateboarders. I really doubt that people in the stores would make that decision either since it would put them out of a job, and some of them off of their "high horses".

All I gotta say, and to be appropriate I'll reference a Supreme graphic: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

I think you have to look at the situation as a whole. Supreme is a different animal now then when it started in 94. Back then it was brought up by skaters and downtown kids which created the image. For the first few years being a skateshop may have been more of a focal point to the brand, (and the LA bowl deliberately tries to bring it back in that direcction), but basically Supreme is a t-shirt/hat/clothing brand. That is the focus of the company both creatively and money wise. There are many seasons where boards are not put out at all and the Japanese stores dont carry any skate gear as far as hardware. Im not saying any of this is bad, it is what it is. Supreme is fine as a boutique skateshop in 94 that transformed into a Clothing brand that carries skateboards in some of its stores. It is popular both for its quality and for its exlusive nature. You wouldnt have that exclusive nature without a ton of people out side of skateboarding wanting the product

Its ok to say that you are taking advantage of all of the "non-skating suckers" that wait in line and that is why you sell so many clothes and why there isnt anything really to do with skateboarding in the Japanese stores, but as a company you have to live with the image that you create for yourself. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

And its true, pretty much all the people you actually see wearing supreme that fulfill the original image of the company probably dont pay for the clothes. They get them free one way or another. But at the end of the day its a business and I really dont believe that James, or anyone else, would choose to get rid of the majority of their customers to oblige the few "cool" kids who are tired of seeing "non-skaters" wearing a brand that has grown somewhat out of the narrow degree of skateboarders. I really doubt that people in the stores would make that decision either since it would put them out of a job, and some of them off of their "high horses".

All I gotta say, and to be appropriate I'll reference a Supreme graphic: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

All right.

I skated as a kid in Philly - I rode a Vision deck with a dragon on it, and I wore Stussy, which is what all the little skate punks I knew wore. We all worshipped Tony Hawk and played a lot of Spy Hunter. Fast forward to 2004. I moved to LA. I haven't skated - seriously, we used to say thrashed - in almost fifteen years. Now I play bocce and golf, but I think roots are important. I drove by Supreme last Saturday, saw a thousand kids there, and kept going. I went back on Monday when the line was gone, bought two shirts (not box tees, either), a backpack, and two Fuck Bush stickers. I was this close to buying a setup, but figured I'd think about it and come back.

So my question for Jupa is, am I real, or a sucker? I like Supreme, and I like to occasionally wear shirts that remind me of my youth, but if my participation in your brand is going to engender contempt, fuck that. Which is it?

"Not to mention a whole post explaining why that real animosity should be placed on the re-sellers, who could care less about a culture and just the mark up."

the resellers don't care about the culture, while you spurn what the culture was built around. so you're better, right?

appreciating skating and actually skating are two different things. just so we're clear. you're just buying in.

How the hell do I spurn the culture??

I'm sorry but it's My fault that skating hit it's largest Boom when i was in Grade school?? And because of that boom it was pushed onto a lot of kids at the time... Some of whom did end up skating and kept with it, some of whom picked up skating for a little while and dropped it and some of whom didn't.

Like it or not , But I and most people my age grew up with skate fashion and skateboarding as a mainstays of youth society. You couldn't escape it.. it was second to WWF at the time. And none of us activley searched it out in the hopes of co-opting it for our own use.. it sought us out!! And i know i'm reating this three times already but it just doent seem to sink in with you.

I have no clue how old you are but If i had to guess it would be 18 or 19 which would mean you were an infant when the Skate boom first hit largely and probably got into skating when it was yet again an underground sport. So if you want a medal for being a real skater you can have it! but know your history and know that there was a whole chunk of time when Skate brands activley pursued kids to wear their clothing regardless if they skated or not. So if you want to be bitter about some of those kids still buying skate clothes be my guest.. but i'm sure if you took it back to the actual Board rooms of Vision, Powell, etc, etc.. they'd tell you that's exactly what they wanted to happen back then. So how am I spurning something the originators of the culture themselves instituted?? IF you want to regret it happening? Fine.. because it was what initially killed skatings popularity for a while. But don't lash out at me. It makes you sound infantile, like a 17 year old who gets pissed when his favorite band of the past 2 years all of a sudden makes it big and gains a wider audience.

Buyin in to what?? It all Boils down to this... It's a t-shirt!! how does a skate shirt make you skate better than say any other shirt?? They don't! It's not like i'm buying a set of trucks and hanging them off a necklace. People are attracted to the graphic and the same type of graphic they grew up on.

Like i said, there is no point for this argument because I'm sure you yourself at some point in time bought or have worn something that wasn't originally made for your intended use. Once again, ever own a pair of Jordans?? It's the same thing. I don't walk around pretenmding to sakte and bullshit about skating when i where a supreme tee or whatever, just like i'm sure you don't execute no look passes and monster dunks when you wear your Jordans.

Edited by Dolo on Sep 17, 2004 at 12:18 PM

Claiming there's some level of depth that i'm missing from your posts isn't going to make it appear all of a sudden, Nice try though!

I get it... I'm buying in, while you're the real deal! What you don't get is that while i'm buying in here, you're buying in elsewhere so whats the difference?

Is this like the Undefeated thing all over again?

Edited by Dolo on Sep 17, 2004 at 02:28 PM

yeah dude the undefeated thing.. where i took your advice, called the store, and then reported back to you in the thread Exactly what they told me.

You then flew off the handle that I was calling you a liar because you had seen them there.

When in reality you never bothered to mention that it was the santa monica Undfeated you were talking about and not the LA store. I'm not from cali, so when someone says Undefeated I usually think they're implying the LA shop. To be honest i didnt even know there was one in santa monica.

-----------------------------

I owned a skateboard from like the 5th to maybe 8th grade (same cheap Toys R Us model) that I never really rode and ended up giving away to younger cousins. I managed to learn to do a shitty kick flip that lifted me a few inches off the ground and that was about it. I said that i never rode in my posts multiple times. It wasn't for me and i was more interested in BMXs at the time.

Why?

Edited by Dolo on Sep 17, 2004 at 02:46 PM

i wouldn't consider my post as "flying off the handle". it was sarcastic, i figured the buster brown comment would've given you a hint.

back to skateboarding. you've been dressing like a skater since the 4th grade and the extent of your experience was getting a board at toys r us. i made fun of kids like you back in 1986, and i'll still do it now.

first off I don't dress like a skater.. owning a skate tee and dressing like a skater are two different things. A tee is a fucking tee. I never rocked jams, I didnt wear any of those retarded box painters caps when i was a Kid. My like in skate clothing started and ended with tee-shirts. And at this point in time I'd rather spit on most skate brands clothing than wear it, with Supreme and Xlarge being the exceptions (because of their design). You want to keep Zoo York, Anti-Hero, Girl, Chocolate, Blind, Spitfire, etc, etc.. Please be my guest, rock them proudly and look corny. Skate tee or not most of their design is flat out weak.

So don't jump on me for fakin jax when I don't walk around in Cargo Board shorts, a wallet chain, Etnies, an Independant Jacket and a clean board under my arm. Never have, never will. Get off your high horse it's a fucking tee shirt not a badge of honor.

Don't take this too personally because I've obviously never seen you skate but the truth is most of the so-called skaters who spend their days chillin at whatever skate-shops and get so riled up about an asinine topic like this can't land most tricks they even attempt. I've watched them... we've all watched them fall on their face trying to jumpt a 2 foot card board box. So if you, they, whoever wants to be bitter about that and need to claim some T-shirt with an "0nly Sk4t3rz Allowed!" banner to quiet you're own insecurities then be my guest again! It adds to the joke on the other end.

------------------

and on the UDFTD note.. do I know you? how am i supposed to differenatiate sarcasm, from flying off the handle over a messege board from a stranger?? You couldn't have just said.. "Wait which undefeated did you call?"

Edited by Dolo for Dusty's benefit on Sep 17, 2004 at 05:11 PM. Enjoy champ!

Edited by Dolo on Sep 17, 2004 at 05:12 PM

Look man you wanna go back and forth like this i'm sure we can keep it going till the end of time. You want to point out some mistake I made while editing my post as reason to dis me... fine, I'll go correct it for your sake. All I know is that you're a grown ass man who is clinging to some childish ideals about who's allowed to wear, do or be something.

You wanna laugh at me for wearing a Supreme Tee? Be my guest!

If your life is so boring and empty that you place such importance on staking claim over a tee shirt, then i'm not gonna be the one to stand in the way of your life's meaning.

All I got to say is GROW UP. I know I got some maturing to do BUT at least I realize there are bigger things in life at my age than enforcing some silly rules about who is and who isn't allowed to wear what brands.

Peace and good luck Dusty.

Edited by Dolo on Sep 20, 2004 at 09:30 AM

well, well...if this issue wasn't such the "issue" it certainly wouldn't last this long...interesting. ready to read?

ok, resellers are shitpiles. to me they're the lowest of the ladder.

bottom feeders, image jackers, nothing lifers.

label posers are next up from that. son, stay inside, play nintendo, eat food but don't buy into labels that give you an identity. man up and you rock the gear. don't let the gear rock you. if you were never on it then stay off and let the headz rep it the way it's suppose to be. DONE.

flashback, when i was a kid and saw another kid wear a skate brand that did not skate, he was and probabally still is a POSER. i don't care how old a kid is, or who's aunt bought what for whom. if you're not living it. don't mess with it, period. check into any scene: punk, rudeboy, metal, even thugged out fitted cap niggas, it's the same:IF YOU'RE ABOUT IT THEN LIVE IT. IF NOT YOU'S A WALKING/TALKING SUCKER. and honestly, there's nothing right about being a sucker, no matter how old you were or are. think back and just accept your truth.

ok, so if i wear a ball cap and not play am i a poser? jordans with no freethrows at a pick up?

not really. why, because i don't pretend...repeatedly. one can support buying tons of dale ernhart product that's loyalty. but if one has the choice to actively be apart of an activity then do so. but don't collect mitchell and ness and never go to game or play. agian, that's a sucker move.

next, skate boardroom meetings and the marketing towards kids thing? ok that may be true but it's still lemon flavored bullshit. ok, but then what happens after these meetings? real riders jump ship, start they're own brands, magazines, shoe companies and they give back to the same reality that made them. Hardcore is hardcore no matter what term of life is being lived out. it's something that just stays with a man.

next, what makes a skate tee a skate tee? the company that's screened on it. the riders that rep it. the integrity of the brand and what that brand has done to keep things right with the culture. if things go soft then the truth will surface. skaters that jump from team to team get no sort of love from the industry or the kids that skate. it's about loyalty. and this is not about the "realest skater their ever was" award, it's about if you were a part of this and stood by it, then that says alot. actually it says everything. breaking bones for the love of it and nothing else "made" you, not your friends, not the local skateshop or the back to school tee shirt sale at hot topic. and if you stopped skating and started up again, perfect. that only means that skating was waiting for you to come back. no worries, just set one up and start falling again. learn some shit.

as stated, real skaters would never wait in a line. they'ed watch and wait and make a move then.

just like a skate spot, if it's blown, then dead it or wait until it's unthought of and go back and do you.

what a novel idea?!!

next, limited editions were created in the vein of lithographic arts. only so many for the few. so when gear takes that same premise, it's for the few that are true. not for suckers that know what bbs sites to to lurk. L.E.'s are NOT created for resellers, period! it's for those that know and appreciate. a reseller stands for nothing. they bite, steal and perpatrate. did i say that earlier?

next, one can't chime in and say is all this conflict needed? what's the big deal? and who cares? and be nice!

this whole site is for those that are into this "lifestyle". conlflict started this lifestyle. we chose/created this lifestyle because generally what was out there plainly sucked. we couldn't deal or realate with what was out there so we broke....

and as you read it's starting to suck again, facinating.

within this lifestyle there are many splinters. skating being one of which. how many here would buy japanese grappling gear, stand in line for it and rock as if they've been down when they've never went to the ma

• 6 years later...