The Fashion Industry

itaughthedi

Sorry guys, this might seem like a stupid question (or multiple questions), but bear with me. I'm currently attending a prestigious 4-year university that offers a fashion design-like major. I've always been interested in fashion, but I'm currently seriously contemplating majoring in fashion design. Given that I go the fashion designer route, how hard is it to succeed in the fashion industry? I get this impression that most aspiring fashion designers that aren't in the top 1% starve and have terribly low salaries. And I hear it's very competitive/cutthroat. And there's the stereotype that all male designers are gay, and to back up their claim, people cite Tom Ford, MJ, Versace, etc. Just wondering, who are some prominent successful designers that are straight? Thanks in advance to any helpful advice/info-givers. And sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

And there's the stereotype that all male designers are gay, and to back up their claim, people cite Tom Ford, MJ, Versace, etc. Just wondering, who are some prominent successful designers that are straight?

All straight fashion designers eventually become gay. Didn't you get the memo?

Very good thread.

1 - I'm thinking of studying it to, and

2 - I wondered about the straight thing as well, with me being straight an all.

I'm in a great career now, and am 25 years old. Having graduated studying Business Management I don't need to study Fashion Design but I am heavily interested in it, and have a few questions myself;

ie, by the time I graduate, I will be almost 30, should I really spend 4 years studying when at that age I might not have any chance to get into the industry? Male, 30 years old, straight conquering the industry? lol.

From what I understand the average American fashion designer earns btween $60-70000/yr. If ur cool w/ that + u feel this is what u were meant to do in life then go for it! Finding your calling is just as valuable as cash! As for the gay/straight thing why r u sweating it--in my experience most people who are comfy with their own sexuality don't even give a thought to what others think! Hope this helps + good luck in whatever u do!!!

From what I understand the average American fashion designer earns btween $60-70000/yr. If ur cool w/ that + u feel this is what u were meant to do in life then go for it! Finding your calling is just as valuable as cash! As for the gay/straight thing why r u sweating it--in my experience most people who are comfy with their own sexuality don't even give a thought to what others think! Hope this helps + good luck in whatever u do!!!

I hope I didn't come across as though I am scared what people might think if I am straight, or that I minimize my chances in making it into the industry. I meant it as in I love the idea and challenge of breaking the mold of the stereotypical male fashion designer, or stereotypical from where I'm from anyway.

Finding your calling is just as valuable as cash!

Amen!