Nom de Guerre S/S 09

painfully_inept

Not quite- though I guess its more of a rumor. I know that Hugo Boss designed for the SS, but he was also Austrian and it was kind of unavoidable at the time.

Chanel was rumored to have had an affair with a Nazi spy during the occupation and this is probably where the idea of the deal between her and the Nazis stems from.

To be fair, maybe the Chanel company is denying to speak upon the issue, Hugo Boss did not acknowledge the fact till 1993 or so.

Uh. Chanel? Boss we know, but c'mon.

I can make up history, too...

WW2 actually ended when Randy Quaid flew his airplane into the Nazi Flying Saucer Mothership just as its weak spot opened to launch a death-ray.

gerufo1.jpg

Oh yeah, plus they made soap and lamp shades out of Jews and gypsies. And pro wrestling is real.

apprently it used to be common to bind books and such in human leather...
I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_bound_in_human_skin

Anthropodermic bibliopegy is the practice of binding books in human skin. Though uncommon in modern times, the technique dates back to at least the 17th century.
It was commonly believed for a time that prominent Nazis, such as Ilsa Koch, had commissioned the creation of items from the skin of victims of the Holocaust, including books and lampshades. However, no lampshades or books bound in human skin have ever been found, and in the absence of evidence the claim is now held to be an urban legend. The Nazis are known to have taken and preserved individual pieces of skin, chiefly those sections displaying tattoos; several examples of such can be found within the collections of the National Museum of Health and Medicine and the National Archives, although neither institution places these items on display.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2511/did-the-nazis-make-lampshades-out-of-human-skin

LATE ADDITION

Occasionally you hear about human-skin lampshades in private collections. I won't claim to have surveyed the field, but I did speak to Norm Sauer, a professor of forensic anthropology at Michigan State University. Professor Sauer was part of a team of experts that a few years ago examined a number of alleged human souvenirs that had been donated to the Holocaust Memorial Center, now located in Farmington Hills, MI. Among the items were a lampshade (and it really was a lampshade, consisting of panels on a wire frame), two chess sets, and a bar of soap, along with some collections of ashes, bone fragments, and so on. Although some of the bone fragments did appear to be human, most and possibly all of the household objects were not. The chess sets were made of animal but not human bone; the lampshade possibly was deer or goat but not human skin. Tests of the soap were inconclusive. (The alleged practice of rendering human fat into soap is a story unto itself; the common opinion now seems to be that while it may have been made experimentally once, human soap was never produced in quantity.) You never know what will turn up, but without tests, don't assume that just because a lampshade or other item is claimed to be of human origin, it is.

• 2 weeks later...
I just did a nice interview with Nom de Guerre. One of the few out there, hopefully you enjoy. A couple bonus spring looks as well.

All in the new issue h(y)r collective magazine | www.hyrcollective.com

Just wanted to say that the h(y)r collective mag is one of the best on the web. I really have enjoyed all of the issues i have read. Nice to see so many Canadian stores being featured.

• 3 months later...

^^I tend to agree that this season's collection is nothing exceptional, while I really liked past seasons by NdG. I'm not even too keen on the indigo utility shirt, when that's usually my style.

Also, compliments to Ry'on on the interview from a few months back, I just read it now in the archives. Glad to have found h(y)r mag, I'll try and read regularly.

That said, I just picked up the dry black jeans for £73 shipped, from Ideology Boutique online, out of Sheffield. I missed the Context sale a few weeks back while in the U.S., and couldn't refuse at this price. For those in the UK, they have a few pieces from last season left on sale, including the shawl cardigan for 140. Also a few CP and n.d.c shoes in most sizes.

• 1 month later...