fancy pens

seenmy

Sailor 1911 with a Naginata Togi nib. Beautiful classic-design Japanese fountain pen, but with a nib made by possibly the greatest living nib-maker: the guy is basically the nib-making equivalent of a national living treasure in Japan. Alternatively, if money is no object, go for the Sailor King of Pens - possibly the most understated high-end pen there is.

That said, I'd have to also second ddml's suggestion of a Parker 51 - if you can find a vintage one in good condition, they make wonderful everyday pens. I still write every day with my father's, which was given to him in 1955 - and it's never needed a service. If you do buy one, make sure you get one with the ink-bladder replaced, because they eventually wither, I think. Also, there are large stocks of replacement nibs for 51s, so you can have a new nib fitted to the old casing, so you're not stuck with a pen that's adapted itself to someone else's writing.

But if you're into the crazy Japanese craftsman thing, check out the more classic designs among the Sailor pens...

Fancy shouldn't necessarily mean fountain. What kind of writing are you going to be doing and in what situation? From personal experience, fountain pens for on the go writing is a bitch....refilling and carrying ink with you. Lamy, Cross and Waterman all make good rollerball pens. I use a Waterman Expert II rollerball for everyday writing. It isn't too expensive and it has good heft. Plus it'll fit Pilot G2 refills which is great.

watermanexpertblackchromeroller225.jpg

If you were looking for fountain pens....can't go wrong with the Meisterstuck 149. If money were no object i'd pick up the Omas Arte Italiana though...

paaaiamnpcfhagfe126.jpg

to be honest though....fancy pens aren't a good investment unless you actually do a ridiculous amount of writing (pops has a Meisterstuck, but he writes also translates books for fun) or you got a lot of money to burn. Hole in pocket/bag = $300+ down the drain.

They're no worse than any other luxury item...at least pens don't really go out of style.

While I'm slightly put out by the ubiquity of the Space pen suggestions here, I must admit it is an elegant design.

400.jpg

elegant design = vibrator?

I have these three Montblanc pens. The first two are very overpriced, but I got good deals on them, the last one is about $150 I think, and is what I use everyday at work.

i like lamy for everyday

and i'm kind of suprised it took more than a page for mb to get mentioned.

can't get more classic than this:

jomashop_2015_639247211.jpg