3sixteen: new streetwear line out of NYC/Chicago

ajchen

whats up all.

just wanted to drop a line and let you all know about 3sixteen fabrications, a line that i design for. we've been on the scene for about a year, and our Fall 2004 line just made its debut in spots like digitalgravel.com (shine section), thegiantpeach.com and TRUE clothing in SF, among other spots.

something interesting about our line is that we're not just dedicated to socially conscious messages that are relevant to urban culture... we actually do something about it. each year we set aside a portion of our proceeds to go towards an organization that is helping our communities. last year we gave to pacific garden mission, a homeless shelter in downtown chicago.

anyways, enough outta me. check our site and lemme know what you guys think of it. honest feedback is appreciated...

http://www.3sixteen.com

peace,

andrew

i still love H.E.R.

it's a gutsy move puttin yourself out there like that. i'm sure 1 out 4 memebers had or have a clothing line and would never post here, shit i'm an architect and i had a line (failed). so since you asked for some feedback here it is. what is it that makes you stand out from the other socially conscience fabricators. i agree that the bling must and will end, but it put it on a shirt seems counter productive. overall i like where you guys are coming from but it comes off as too preachy. i have a lot more to say, but i hate typing so good luck. oh and most people at this site only buy supreme or bape so if you want others to reply just ask how does your line compare to supreme's. then just sit back and watch the hate fly.

Edited by kole on Aug 30, 2004 at 08:03 AM

raijin: Do You know how expensive it will cost a new company starting to begin fucking with the Cuts and sewing of a T-shirt that is probably being produced in very low numbers?? Most stores won't touch it just on how high the wholesale cost will be to cover the production costs will be, Forget how weak or strong the designs may be.

They need to establish an identity, a store presence and focus on strong graphics before they can invest into fucking with the shirts on that kind of level.

Unless of course they're starting up wth lots of backing money they can use.. which i doubt, but i may be wrong.

anyway, good luck to3sixteen, I'm not feeling the social concept.. but seriously much luck!

really nice stuff! could you post again if your women's line increases, i'm also more into darker shades, favourite will always be black, and a few more range in styles (the tanks and tunisian cuts tend to be IN these days - i mean for women).

your graphics are cool!

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

I agree with most people here, the designs are pretty good but its a little too preachy. I think that theyre done well but if someone showed me those t shirts without a brand name I would put money on them being LRG because they share so many commonalities. That is the main problem with clothing today is that everything is just too close to something else. For some that isnt necessarily a bad thing, i mean LRG is currently blowing up, but thats because of their originality. My opinion is its a very good start, but definitely still has work to be done.

Good luck, I hope to see more designs

i was talking to guy in ATL about LRG, cause i never seen them in nyc before... though i have been in korea and southeast asia for the last 2 yrs..

ANYWAY: he said that LRG was more nylon and 'raver' 3 yrs ago and now they're all hip hop.. what do you guys think about that?? true or not >> is it okay for a company to do a complete flip flop of they have quality stuff?? or at least a following...

I've seen LRG from the start, even kind of know some of the people involved a bit, and can say objectively that they've always had the same aesthetic and direction. Very heavy branding, lots of trims, and a strong tendancy towards safari/nature themes. Whether or not ravers bought them years ago is kind of besides the point since if it happened, it wasn't part of any game plan. Plus half the ravers I see are wearing ecko and that's never been pigeon holed as a raver brand.

LRG seemed kind of a lift off 555Soul, but they flipped the theme from urban, to nature. However, they've been doing their thing long enough now that it'd be fair to say they have their own identity these days. Not sure about flip flopping demographics, since that's generally outside anyone's control. The goal is to make money - being cool takes a backseat to that.

dang. so many excellent and well thought out responses.... by far the best i've read since i've been casually advertising the line. thank you all for being honest - it's the best kind of

response.

we just got back from the POOL trade show where we landed several solid accounts and also made good press contacts with URB, Vapors and C16 magazine. things are rolling along very well for us...

we'd love to do cut & sew. everything comes down to finances.

as for "No More Bling" being counterproductive, i think the statement on there makes it pretty clear what we're after. the text is the focus of the shirt, not the hummer.... but i can appreciate it if people wouldnt wear it. after all, it's a pretty in-your-face shirt and it always garners a reaction. we want to be the kind of company to cause discussion, so its cool with us. it's also been selling really well...

while i'm flattered to be even compared to LRG, i think our messages are more societally focused than theirs. they are definitely more branding focused, with the occasional socially conscious message. but yeah, to be mentioned in the same sentence as LRG is a compliment.

LRG has evolved quite a bit. their first few lines werent as nature focused.... it looked kinda computer-futuristic, even down to their original logo. they've definitely made a move towards the organic. in terms of whether its ok to flip your style, i cant really say anything cuz i like what LRG's doing better now... so who's to say you shouldn't change and evolve and turn a good product into a better one. i hope we dont flip our style and that our messages stay on point.

thanks again for everyone's views and responses. it keeps us growing.

i still love H.E.R.

• 5 months later...

yo, instead of starting another unnecessary thread to clutter up the boards, i figured i'd recycle the old one.

we just dropped spring 2005... take a look see.

[url="http://www.3sixteen.com"]<a href="http://www.3sixteen.com" target="_blank">http://www.3sixteen.com</a>

peace yall.

3sixteen fabrications // new york city.

thas wassup

I think the indivisible tee is the strongest but its just a famous photo ripped. don't like how you explain the philosophy behind each tee. should be self explanatory.

I put his brains all over the street sos u could see what he was just thinkin

thank you to superfuture for always being our harshest critic haha. its good for us...

you know those fools on american idol who are straight up horrible and get rejected, only to start screaming at the judges saying that they have what it takes to be a star when clearly they cant hold a note? or cats who say their clothing is dope as anything but there's zero artistic talent behind the line?

i think those guys have been surrounded by "yes" people their entire lives... people who say that their stuff is awesome even though it needs a lot of work (or is sometimes not even salvageable). i dont think we fall into that category. i know some people dont feel our line, and thats cool... i dont mind that at all cuz you cant please everyone. there's a difference between not liking something and it being "stupid" but i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

we face a unique challenge cuz we're not looking to slap our brand all over a few tshirts and call it a day.... or put a trendy ape on a shirt just cuz its hot right now. we've committed ourselves to pushing positive messages thru tshirts, and because of that - it takes us a lot more time and effort to come up with each design. the very thing about our line that makes people call it "preachy" is what a lot of other people love about it. so i guess we found our target market, which is dope cuz a lot of lines dont even know what direction they are going in.

so yeah, thanks everyone for keepin it "real" (whatever that means). i like hearing what you all have to say.

with that said, let me use this controversy and drama to direct you all to some of our friends. check em out...flame em or love em, it dont matter as long as you give em a look see.

thehundreds: http://www.thehundreds.com

mishka: http://www.mishkanyc.com

mato nyc: http://www.mato-nyc.com

thas wassup

Ive been involved in a lot of brands and Ive seen companies moving closer and closer as seasons go by. I think your line strays far enough from a lot of other brands to create a little niche for yourself. Your designs aren't really my cup, but that is just me; I dont even like tee with graphics anymore. I dont think they will appeal to the kids that like all the more-exclusive streetwear brands but more to a person that is not as involved in that scene. I could definitely see them doing good in an urban outfiitters type market. And i dont mean that in a bad way. We'll see what it turns into.

thats true, i am a hater too. if you have any sense of discriminating style, then you become a hater in some fashion...

if the messages on the shirt offend you...thats the nature of our designs, i guess. everyone has an agenda when making clothing... some do it to get rich, some do it for fame or exposure... we do it because we see problems with society and feel like this is a good way to say something about them. i agree that we shouldnt have to "explain it" - but when you get tools saying "this stuff is the worst crap i've seen on ST" or "have you even sold anything yet?!" then i feel like i should say a little something haha. didnt mean to play any mindtrix on ya.

thas wassup

Edited by ajchen on Mar 2, 2005 at 04:49 AM

Edited by ajchen on Mar 2, 2005 at 09:42 AM

Yea you should say a little something..

People on supertalk are harsh, but its the truth, we say what we think and what we feel. Thats the only reason why i am apart of it (also its a nice way to kill time when business is slow). If you want to really know what people are going to think ask the people here. Love, Hate, whatever.. the people here are some of the "realist" you can find. Some people are bias because of personal relations and there is a handfull of srtaight up idiots on here but thats just like anywhere else...

you talk about "problems with society" with the line? and you donate and serve food to homeless shelters? I got no love for bums, they are bums because they are lazy fucks. I used to work in a pharmacy and i found out bums have better insurance that a lot of working class stiffs, and we pay for that shit! i had bums all day long getting free crazy pills and pain pills and what not and doctors just fill em up every month. And then i got sick kids with parents that have no cash and shitty insurance begging for a hook up...There is some really fucked up problems that need to be fixed but i dont think feeding crazy bums and selling "limited,cool,hip-hop,christian" t-shirts are going to do the trick...Maybe you should find all those bums a job and tell them to buy your gear with their first paycheck! that would prolly work out nice for you. (or are bums not "cool" enough)

My Friend Foney, gave this bum a shirt and hat, and told him if you stand on this corner eveyday i'll give you $5 everytime i see you! He really did it too! he made like $15 bucks off him but then he just dissapeared one day and never came back...(true story)