World of denim shops

fistoffury

I like the people at SoS and they have a good selection but as people say its very expensive, I like to look but rarely buy anything, although their sales ok.

In a sort of defense at their prices it must be very expensive to have a large store like that in that location, I bet the rent is sky high, and like stated above good on them in having a bricks & Mortar shop as London needs good men’s stores.

I know from working there that the rents are extortionate (i've seen the bills), and seem to get put up every 6 months or so. Add to that insurance, electricity, wages and of course the tax man...

The profit margins are not as large as you'd probably think.

Yeah, I can imagine they're sky high.

So... sorry to be stupid here, but Blue in Green is also a bricks and mortar store, in an expensive part of an expensive city. Why the massive gulf in prices? I know BiG are an approved Samurai dealer, but what about the other brands Son of a Stag do? Do import tax rates vary that much?

I know BiG really lean heavily on online sales internationally (like a lot of menswear shops) but any shop can do that surely?

I can't really comment on US import duties & taxes or rents. Don't know enough about them to make an intelligent comparison.

Edited by Mr Black

^

They said that most of their items have been taken.  So, there were probably multiple dickheads!  Terrible.  I can't imagine waking up to seeing my shop looted like this.  Hopefully denim thieves aren't treated well in prison!

Edited by S-Town

With regards to the DC4 robbery, judging by the stamps on the inside pockets, it seems that whoever took it will find that it will be pretty much impossible to sell it for anything like it's true value. I mean the only people that would be interested in the stuff would be Denim Heads and most of the ones in Europe seem to be on this Forum and are aware of the theft, so it's really just a matter of time before whoever took the stuff gets caught, I think.

Edited by 501XX4EVER

• 4 weeks later...

^ This is correct SM, I had a big chat with the owner shortly before it closed down. The rents plus poor customer attitudes (ie blatantly trying stuff on with a view to buy it on the Internet) were key factors. Such a shame, I've spent a fortune there over the last 20 years or so and always enjoyed spending time there.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Always liked that shop- perhaps more for basics such as ringer tees & baseball jerseys. I initially found them quite surley but once you engage them in conversation they were a nice lot.

Big shame :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to weigh in here...

Please bear in mind that up to a month ago, my idea of 'proper' denim was the many pairs of PRPS, True Religion, Dolce & gabanna and A.P.C. that I owned - and was pleased with. I had heard vague rumblings about this mythical Japanese denim but had not come across any.

That changed when I walked into SOAS and realised I might just as well bin my whole jeans collection. My experience there was this:

Got a smile on entering from a lady (Linda) and a nod form a chap (Dan). Was then left to my own devices to wander around. After 5 mins or so when it became clear that I was friggin clueless and well out of my depth, Linda came to offer me some help. After a discussion on types of fit and sizing etc, Linda went off and selected a bunch of Jeans. Before I was allowed to try them on I was given a brief history and description of both each brand and denim. After much fitting and deliberation I had narrowed my choice down to Full Count 1108XX (Loved the fit and comfort), Samurai 710xx (Loved the detailing, feel, silhouette and well just something....) and Oni secret denim 20oz (Amazing texture, totally different).

Linda was great through the whole process and Dan was popping over between jobs too - Showing me pictures of his own Oni's pre/post soak and giving his opinion and experience on my various choices.

At no stage did I feel pressured, rushed or hassled, and the advice and service i received was quite frankly amazing. Please people, do not confuse passion, enthusiasm and a genuine desire to share knowledge as anything other than a really good thing.

Only problem was the whole 'Raw Revelation' was a bit overwhelming so I decided to take a 'time out' to have a beer, think over what I had just learnt and rope the Mrs in for a second opinion. Long story short, the Mrs was visiting a friend in South London, there was a tube strike and by the time she managed to get across town to me, several hours had passed and well, I was drunk as a skunk.... 

We were only down in London for a short while (I am from London but am currently living on the other side of the country) to visit friends & family and I did not get a chance to return to the shop.

When I got home I thought (as any sensible person would) that I would do a bit more research before spending £920 on 3 pairs of jeans I had only just found out about. The price was not a problem as such - I think only my A.P.C's were any cheaper - but I had caught the bug and wanted to delve in a bit more.

That was when my moral dilemma hit - I soon found out I could get the same jeans, at a considerable saving from Japan. (example 710xx - £320 SOAS, £150 from 2nd. add - £20 postage, £20 duty, £40 VAT total £230.). Thats worst case scenario - best case, it sails through customs meaning total = £170. Thats a £150 saving, or another way of looking at it, a free pair of full counts from denimio/Okayama (nearly).

HOWEVER... I agree with Mr Friedman and others that a physical store is a precious resource & should be cherished, and there are many factors to deserve the premium (Dan & Linda - did not speak to Rudy although he was milling around and did introduce himself, advice, knowledge, service, chain stitch alterations while you wait, trying the items on, instant second opinion, stock you just cant find anywhere else or wouldn't think to consider, and dammit just a good way to spend some of your day), and many reasons for the mark up (The horribly expensive rents in the brick Lane area, import taxes and duties, bills, staff etc etc)  I also agree that people who regularly visit shops with no intention of purchasing, just using the shops knowledge and resources, are arseholes.

I especially feel that after my experience ( and the fact I would not be here discussing this if it were not for that shop) It would be wrong not to put my pounds in their pockets (SOAS). I f you know what I mean.

I have decided that on my next trip to London (couple of weeks) I will be returning to SOAS with a clear view to purchasing at least one new pair (almost definitely the Onis perhaps the Full Count too). In the meantime however I have ordered a a pair of 710xx from 2nd to be getting on with. Lets face it - there is doing the right thing and then there's being a mug. They are currently stuck in customs so I assume I am about to be bent over by Her Majestys Customs & Excise. Dammit.

Anyway, sorry to go on, hope I haven't screwed this thread up - I am very new to this. Just wanted to put the point across that yes, shops will carry a premium in the West but the reasons should be understood, the benefits respected and the shops supported where possible. If budget does not allow this, or you just don't feel like paying the premium that's fair enough too, but don't be a dick and take advantage of the shop, giving nothing in return. THAT is why I am specifically going back to make a purchase I could almost definitely do cheaper online.

Will this continue when I feel I know enough not to need a shops services anymore? Who knows, probably though - you get a good day out and a chance to visit the many bars & pubs in the area. There are few better places in London to people watch for a few hours. Loads of interesting styles and of course its by far the best area  to play 'Hipster or Hobo' - clue: LOOK AT THEIR JEANS!!! Obvs. 

X-post quoted from Danny in his Rivet & Hide thread re his new shop opening in London in April:

"When I launched Rivet & Hide online in 2012 few people new the store room was my bedroom and the office my lounge in my small West London home. There was no budget for an office or small warehouse.

Soon I was getting emails and calls asking if it was possible to come and try on a pair of jeans or a shirt so my living room became a de-facto store. In April last year we moved to the workshop in Fulham, south west London where we have met many customers who have visited us by appointment.

It was always my plan to open a full bricks and mortar store but I'll share something with you here. My love and appreciation of the brands we carry have deepened since I started Rivet & Hide and this made me even more determined to have them represented in a physical store right in the heart of London.

Today we completed on a lease for 5 Windmill Street, London W1. I just got the keys and work soon starts fitting this place out and we will open mid-April. Until then we continue to operate from the workshop by appointment in Fulham. Thanks to everyone who has supported Rivet & Hide thus far (and for f..k sake please don't disappear now)."

I read the 'Rivet & Hide' thread from start to finish earlier today and was genuinely impressed and inspired. Total fan boy of Dannys business ethic and personal ethos. Haven't come across anything quite like it before.

Looking forward to another place to visit on my London trips. Definitely wish them all the best on this venture.

Interstate in Covent Garden, London, has closed down. Real shame! The place that first got me into selvedge denim I think... Bought my first pair in there. Edwin Nashvilles in 1998.

I got my first pair at Interstate too, and I always put my head in when Im in the west end- this is a real shame.

I read the 'Rivet & Hide' thread from start to finish earlier today and was genuinely impressed and inspired. Total fan boy of Dannys business ethic and personal ethos. Haven't come across anything quite like it before.

Looking forward to another place to visit on my London trips. Definitely wish them all the best on this venture.

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes. Very encouraging for us as we take the next step.

I pass LA1 every day om the way home. It's no bother for me to pop in.

Last time I was there they still had a small handful of the Japanese pre-LVC LEVIS jeans & Jackets hidden away on a shelf.