sweden :: stockholm :: general

keska

dunno if this appropriate, but I'll be in göteborg for way out west in early aug. Any recs for eating out there?

I'd check this one out: http://restaurangkoka.se/ haven't been myself but only heard nice things about them.

For your coffee fix, check out http://kaleikaffebar.se/ or http://damatteo.se/kafe/

And for shopping I'd suggest https://www.nk.se/en/nk-gothenburg/ and http://www.artilleriet.se/

Have fun :) Gothenburg is a lovely city!

• 5 weeks later...

where are you staying?

nitty gritty and nk for clothes. cafe pascal, mean coffee and drop coffee for your coffee fix. budget on food?

if the weather is good, take your lunch outside in a park or a square.

We havent reserved a hotel, are there any design/boutique hotels you know of? Food budget is midrange, with one high end dinner. Hoping to stay in  sodermalm. 

check out story hotel, quite nice with a good bar, wrong side of town unfortunately.

i suppose scandic Malmen is ok, good location atleast or hotel rival at mariatorget, great location, think its pricy but best location.

stockholm is a great food city, the high end dinner should be at Gastrologik or esperanto i think, both one michelin star and are both better than the 2stars we have here in stockholm.

a lot of good midrange places,check out Häktet(my place), Marie levau, Nook, Linje 10, Deville, Rolfs kök(a must!) Brasserie Godot, Flippin Burgers.AG's ,Pubologi, The flying elk, Lilla Ego(best value meal in town but really really hard to get a table) Kåken should be good, haven't tried it yet but they just recently opened with 2 supertalanted chefs, Eksteds.

For budget places you should check Amida träkolsgrill!!!a Real favourite, palmyra kebab, babas burgers and bites

trust me on food, been a chef for over 15 years so i know my shit  :)

let me know if you are looking for anything in perticular.

look into Oaxen, they both got a bistro and a fine dining part of their restaurant, they were and still are in the forefront of the "new nordic cuisine".

And 'ekstedst aswell, Rene from nona used to work for him along time ago when they still were young and up'ncoming, they don't use stoves or owens, the cook everything with fire, creates a very unique kitchen.

You should really try Gastrologik aswell, they do lunch aswell thats not gonna set you back that hard.

Almost all the kitchens of all decent restaurants her in stockholm uses mainly local produce, we do have a fantastic vary of both fish, meat and vegetables to work with.

i think  your timing should be perfect, lots of tasty mushrooms coming in the next couple of weeks and game meat season is just around the corner :)

Noma is actually a really casual place, you never feel underdressed when you go to fine dining joints over here, it's really not like in the states.

'

i think Franzen and Mathias Dahlgren is the places that are most like Noma in vibe, Matbaren at Mathias Dahlgren is a little less formal but its still hella expensive, a 3 course will set you back around 100dollars without drinks

last time i went to franzen i think it was around 500 dollars with wine pairing, hella expensive but in my opinion, the food tastes better then at nona but of course the experience of nona was grander..

plz let me know where you go and what you think

//P

• 4 weeks later...

Stockholm scene report

Lilla Ego- best meal of trip. Incredibly lucky to grab a 3top at the bar and watch the chef go through the nights service. Ordered wildly with no abandon. Many picklebacks. Drank Oregon pinot from where i live for 10x the price. Had smoked raindeer cheese bun bomb. 52 degree steak. every desert. talked w. chef, felt welcome, and fortunate to experience it on a random walk in.

Rolfs Kok - great meal, had a pork  dish with an amazing crispy skin on top, tasted like meat candy cracker. Nice service, nothing out of this world, just great food. Had some melted cheese and wild mushroom dish that hit home. 

Wish i ate more of the restaurants pikko posted but work trips are hard to get everyone on the same page. After lilla ego, they let me steer the food ship

Mean coffee- every day cardamon bun and a cappuccino. Great spot.

Ate at vasa museum cafe, and fotografika cafe and really enjoyed their simple lunch of herring sandwiches. 

Snotty bar - Went a few times, felt like a good crowd, met some good people, nice music. 

Nitty gritty- great store, good staff. Lots of nice things. I like the brand range there. 

Bought a few basics at weekdays, and aplace. Felt like urban outfitters but Scandinavian? Kind of wish they had these in the states.

Amazing city. Love the food. Incredible attractive people. Got all sunny days with nice temps.

Favorite moment was biking around skeppsholmen at sunset taking in all the city views. 

Wish we caught the weekend to see how tiergarten goes

It was weird to see all bars closing shop around 1am, is this normal for during the week?

Edited by EG562

Stockholm scene report

Lilla Ego- best meal of trip. Incredibly lucky to grab a 3top at the bar and watch the chef go through the nights service. Ordered wildly with no abandon. Many picklebacks. Drank Oregon pinot from where i live for 10x the price. Had smoked raindeer cheese bun bomb. 52 degree steak. every desert. talked w. chef, felt welcome, and fortunate to experience it on a random walk in.

Rolfs Kok - great meal, had a pork  dish with an amazing crispy skin on top, tasted like meat candy cracker. Nice service, nothing out of this world, just great food. Had some melted cheese and wild mushroom dish that hit home. 

Wish i ate more of the restaurants pikko posted but work trips are hard to get everyone on the same page. After lilla ego, they let me steer the food ship

Mean coffee- every day cardamon bun and a cappuccino. Great spot.

Ate at vasa museum cafe, and fotografika cafe and really enjoyed their simple lunch of herring sandwiches. 

Snotty bar - Went a few times, felt like a good crowd, met some good people, nice music. 

Nitty gritty- great store, good staff. Lots of nice things. I like the brand range there. 

Bought a few basics at weekdays, and aplace. Felt like urban outfitters but Scandinavian? Kind of wish they had these in the states.

Amazing city. Love the food. Incredible attractive people. Got all sunny days with nice temps.

Favorite moment was biking around skeppsholmen at sunset taking in all the city views. 

Wish we caught the weekend to see how tiergarten goes

It was weird to see all bars closing shop around 1am, is this normal for during the week?

Sounds like you had a great time! :) Yep that's pretty common. The government doesn't like dancing and drinking after certain times... If you are lucky the club you're at on a weekday close 5. Of course we have some illegal clubs keeping open much longer than that though. But the rules for a legal club are pretty lame imo.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be here at the end of April for vacation. I already have a few places I want to visit, museums and a few restaurants and stuff, but does anyone know any good hiking/general outdoorsy stuff to do? I'm looking for nearby trails, nature stuff to do. Also, is Julian Red still around? I might be way behind. 

Also any general places that maybe haven't already been mentioned in the thread would be great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm going to Stockholm for a week in September, but I will likely be working for most of each day (unfortunately!). Where should I be spending my evenings? Not looking for clubs, but bars, cafes, etc.--anything open after 5. I want to see as much of the city as possible while I'm there under these somewhat limited circumstances. 

i liked wrapping up the (long) day in stockholm by seeing the sun set from the north cliffside of södermalm.

I'm going to Stockholm for a week in September, but I will likely be working for most of each day (unfortunately!). Where should I be spending my evenings? Not looking for clubs, but bars, cafes, etc.--anything open after 5. I want to see as much of the city as possible while I'm there under these somewhat limited circumstances. 

Svartengrens - great cocktail bar in Vasastan. www.svartengrens.se, also The Corner Club is another bar for cocktails.

For food I'd check out Rolfs Kök, Råkultur, Adam/Albin and Babette.

Clubs: Trädgården, Moon Motel. Also check facebook and residentadvisor.net for underground warehouse clubs