Tatler

The Face

Underlines

Vanity Fair, UK

Vogue

Wallpaper

Quote:

thanks

im specifically looking for information on vogue homme ie how many times its published, where its available from

--- Original message by velvetant on Aug 28, 2004 11:15 AM

vogue homme international mode is part of the groupe condé nast publishing house and is one of their titles, in addition to AD, glamour, vogue.

you can order it here: http://www.vogueparis.com/abonnement/vogue_hommes_international

it's published twice a year.

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

Quote:

many thanks!

would you have any more suggestions specifically for mens fashion?

--- Original message by velvetant on Aug 30, 2004 06:59 AM

it depends on what suggestions you're interested in - men's fashion magazine (some aren't in english though), or trends.

for the second, you'll have to wait a bit as i'm going to be busy whole month of september covering the men and women's collection in europe and can give you some insight into trends. you'll just have to specify what you're interested in for me to get a bearing of your taste.

i've been covering men's fashion for years, and it's interesting how these days, men are getting more educated not only in clothing lines - and what they really like and appreciate - but there's significant and obviously growing interest as well in grooming lines.

--isla maia

intresting....

i suppose men are paying more interest in Fashion due to an incease in coverage via certain sectors

i find trends particularly in the case of menswear prove hard to correlate

. In my opinion it appears to live without any running aesthetic which may underpin each season

I am intrested to learn more on your views

with regards to men's magazine's

i know of

self service, id, dazed, vogue hommes perhaps this may give you an insight to what i may be possibly intrested in.

do you work for any magazine in particular?

intresting....

i suppose men are paying more interest in Fashion due to an incease in coverage via certain sectors

. In my opinion it appears to live without any running aesthetic which may underpin each season

i know of

self service, id, dazed, vogue hommes perhaps this may give you an insight to what i may be possibly intrested in.

intresting....

i know of

• 3 months later...
Quote:

intresting....

i know of

--- Original message by velvetant on Aug 30, 2004 02:36 PM

gosh, and just when i get to your post, it's the start of the autumn-winter collection come end january!

the skin and cosmetic industry are focusing on men and they've started to do this since the introduction of a forum on men and youth/young adult in paris a year ago during the first cosmeeting exhibition in paris (september 2003). since then, the focus on men has started getting stronger.

trouble is, market and culture conditioning where fashion and trends are concerned, has always been hitting on women, and i always assumed it was because we ladies are really easy to manipulate when it comes to telling us that clothes and makeup is what makes us attractive to men.

you don't hear it said that clothes and makeup draw women to men though, i mean, hip hop clothes where the denim crotch fall to the level of knees, where hair style get hidden under baseball and skull caps, where guys think they're made up with a slather of vaseline on their lips for cold winters, where sneakers and shoes and having like gadzillion of them from vintage to the latest releases ... it's not really what draw women to men, come on?!

women adore men not for clothes, makeup (i'm even tempted by gaultier's line for men - they have the right shade of neutral!) or even aftershave. so clothes on men, it's something hard to recommend unless you know the persona of the guy.

i like men's lines but tend to go more for cut. i'm always on the lookout for a certain "silhouette", not too broad on the shoulder or too v-cut with jackets, something that's understated, yet the flow works and moves beautifully, and you can only check that out when you touch and feel and let a guy with great proportion and body try the stuff out.

i've had to outfit a guy recently from the fall/winter collection of the ... of all brands ... chinese arts and crafts (cac) label, but wow, were they great stuff, and this amazing cashmere chinese padded coat with fur neck lining in dark brown with embroidered cuffs (US$110 - major steal!) and outstanding linen pants were incredible on him. when he got to paris, his friends were all asking him where he got the jacket.

suits are hard, but it gets super difficult when you check streetwear and smart casuals. it takes a certain "panache" for a guy to carry some stuff off, and it takes a guy knowing himself and what he likes on him, from something serious in suits and business-wear, formal wear, casual, club, lounge, how he can identify a look that works for him in different setting.

a man has to probably have a talented and fashion-conscious woman or develop a sensitiveness and an "eye" for what looks right for him. frankly, it's hard for a guy to follow what's in "fashion" as most men don't think much of fashion. they're usually just tee-shirt and denim creatures.

i work on what is known as "intergrated communication", but focus more on lifestyle television production and magazine.

Quote:

intresting....

i know of

--- Original message by velvetant on Aug 30, 2004 02:36 PM

gosh, and just when i get to your post, it's the start of the autumn-winter collection come end january!

the skin and cosmetic industry are focusing on men and they've started to do this since the introduction of a forum on men and youth/young adult in paris a year ago during the first cosmeeting exhibition in paris (september 2003). since then, the focus on men has started getting stronger.

trouble is, market and culture conditioning where fashion and trends are concerned, has always been hitting on women, and i always assumed it was because we ladies are really easy to manipulate when it comes to telling us that clothes and makeup is what makes us attractive to men.

you don't hear it said that clothes and makeup draw women to men though, i mean, hip hop clothes where the denim crotch fall to the level of knees, where hair style get hidden under baseball and skull caps, where guys think they're made up with a slather of vaseline on their lips for cold winters, where sneakers and shoes and having like gadzillion of them from vintage to the latest releases ... it's not really what draw women to men, come on?!

women adore men not for clothes, makeup (i'm even tempted by gaultier's line for men - they have the right shade of neutral!) or even aftershave. so clothes on men, it's something hard to recommend unless you know the persona of the guy.

i like men's lines but tend to go more for cut. i'm always on the lookout for a certain "silhouette", not too broad on the shoulder or too v-cut with jackets, something that's understated, yet the flow works and moves beautifully, and you can only check that out when you touch and feel and let a guy with great proportion and body try the stuff out.

i've had to outfit a guy recently from the fall/winter collection of the ... of all brands ... chinese arts and crafts (cac) label, but wow, were they great stuff, and this amazing cashmere chinese padded coat with fur neck lining in dark brown with embroidered cuffs (US$110 - major steal!); and outstanding linen pants were incredible on him. when he got to paris, his friends were all asking him where he got the jacket and pants.

suits are hard, but it gets super difficult when you check streetwear and smart casuals. it takes a certain "panache" for a guy to carry some stuff off, and it takes a guy knowing himself and what he likes on him, from something serious in suits and business-wear, formal wear, casual, club, lounge, how he can identify a look that works for him in different setting.

a man has to probably have a talented and fashion-conscious woman or develop a sensitiveness and an "eye" for what looks right for him. frankly, it's hard for a guy to follow what's in "fashion" as most men don't think much of fashion. they're usually just tee-shirt and denim creatures.

i work on what is known as "intergrated communication", but focus more on lifestyle television production and magazine.

--isla maia

Quote:

oops...u're a girl.(from the other post where I called u a guy) I should've known...u talk a lot.

--- Original message by dickhead on Dec 22, 2004 04:19 AM

actually, i write more than i talk, and i'm often more with a crew of guys - not easy to be with women, they do talk a lot icon_smile_blush.gif but i'm not usually posting often unless i'm got a break in my schedule.

--isla maia

Quote:
Quote: i work on what is known as "intergrated communication"

oh this great cliché of advertising 90s...

--- Original message by kiteless on Dec 22, 2004 07:06 AM

ugh. tell me about it. it's either "intergrated communication" or "multimedia" - then they'll think you're producing video games.

--isla maia

well it's pretty sad how all the most "brilliant" minds of the network agencies could come up with during a whole decade was that you could use the same pay-off in print ads and tv-spots, and call it "integrated"...

other overused marcom terms (besides 'marcom' itself) that makes my ear go sore:

"# degrees" - to illustrate holistic view (ie 360° marketing)

"interaction" - used in a non-digital context, ie "customer interaction"

"positioning" - al ries deserves a painful death

"integrated" - so you're doing final arts for procter&gamble customer magazines?

"design systems/platforms" - home made theories by people who didn't finish high school

"brand architecture" - see above (but grad school)

"storytelling" - if i hear another native tribes analogy, i'll die

"cross cultural" - "our creative director in london force us to run his ads in kuala lumpur"

"creative, fresh-thinking" - "see you at Cannes Lions. My award-winning client pay the drinks"

"guerilla" - not a penny but I still want to sleep with the traffic girls from DDB in Cannes

"strategic design" - like what, is there anyone claiming to do non-strategic design?

"strategic" may be the best one of the lot. i once ran into a "strategic trade marketing agency". strategic meant they read the fucking brief before they did their sad little shelf stands and coupons

Edited by kiteless on Dec 22, 2004 at 08:06 AM

Quote:

well it's pretty sad how all the most "brilliant" minds of the network agencies could come up with during a whole decade was that you could use the same pay-off in print ads and tv-spots, and call it "integrated"...

other overused marcom terms (besides 'marcom' itself) that makes my ear go sore:

"# degrees" - to illustrate holistic view (ie 360° marketing)

"interaction" - used in a non-digital context, ie "customer interaction"

"positioning" - al ries deserves a painful death

"integrated" - so you're doing final arts for procter&gamble customer magazines?

"design systems/platforms" - home made theories by people who didn't finish high school

"brand architecture" - see above (but grad school)

"storytelling" - if i hear another native tribes analogy, i'll die

"cross cultural" - "our creative director in london force us to run his ads in kuala lumpur"

"creative, fresh-thinking" - "see you at Cannes Lions. My award-winning client pay the drinks"

"guerilla" - not a penny but I still want to sleep with the traffic girls from DDB in Cannes

"strategic design" - like what, is there anyone claiming to do non-strategic design?

"strategic" may be the best one of the lot. i once ran into a "strategic trade marketing agency". strategic meant they read the fucking brief before they did their sad little shelf stands and coupons

Edited by kiteless on Dec 22, 2004 at 08:06 AM

--- Original message by kiteless on Dec 22, 2004 08:02 AM

your ear go sore? i get an acute migraine attack spot on just as the question ends. "what do you do?" ... "do you have an aspirin? like five of them??"

so can i just say i work for television?! icon_smile_cool.gif then tomorrow, i can get to say i work for a fashion magazine. the day after, i produce music. i tell you, it's a hard life.

--isla maia

Quote:

well, i suppose you could just tell them you're an underpaid account executive temping your way towards your dreams of being paid for reading all the fifty-eleven editions of vogue all day and posting profound shopping tips on internet forums....

--- Original message by kiteless on Dec 22, 2004 01:51 PM

or i could tell them i'm one of the lucky cios that survived the b2b2c2e2i2i alpha-numerical dotcom crash. icon_smile_tongue.gif and what do you do? icon_smile_wink.gif

--isla maia

Quote:

i'm just trudging around my modest position at the bottom of the agency food-chain to make the ends meet...

but now i'm curing a jetlag at a godforsaken W in NYC

--- Original message by kiteless on Dec 23, 2004 03:44 PM

oh my gawd, no wonder you know all those marcom terms. i gave up on agency work a while back. really glad i did too.

--isla maia

Quote:

The quality of Vogue Homme editorials has been bad lately..

The brands that they place the most coverage on are quite boring.

--- Original message by raijin on Dec 23, 2004 07:26 PM

i'm not into vogue homme, i receive it like i do a pile of other men's magazine from around europe and the world. i prefer to check the shows out, meet the designers and see the collection up close and personal. that's when i get to appreciate a brand and designer more. i hardly look at any magazines these days unless i'm on the plane or train - then it's like, hmmm, that scent wasn't that fabulous when i tested it; that ad's awful (i can't get over sephora's poster ad this season, it's like the decapitated head of this white persian cat on the head of this model sporting pink hair and a tiara ... makes me think, riiiiggghttt ... so, are we to assume the cat bled pink blood into her hair?! - where's the rest of its body?? or ... how the hell is it hanging on to that girl's head with the tiara??)... it does suck to criticize more than admire. icon_smile_big.gif

--isla maia

Quote:
Quote:

oops...u're a girl.(from the other post where I called u a guy) I should've known...u talk a lot.

actually, i write more than i talk, and i'm often more with a crew of guys - not easy to be with women, they do talk a lot icon_smile_blush.gif but i'm not usually posting often unless i'm got a break in my schedule.

--- Original message by isla maia on Dec 22, 2004 05:32 AM

you're defensive too! You're a real woman.

I hate everything and everyone.

"i've had to outfit a guy recently from the fall/winter collection of the ... of all brands ... chinese arts and crafts (cac) label, but wow, were they great stuff, and this amazing cashmere chinese padded coat with fur neck lining in dark brown with embroidered cuffs (US$110 - major steal!); and outstanding linen pants were incredible on him. when he got to paris, his friends were all asking him where he got the jacket and pants."

wow, you wanna let me know where i can get one of those?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by dickhead on Dec 25, 2004 09:07 AM

i'm a real woman, yes. defensive? if that's how you read it although i don't see why i should be defensive with you. just interested in keeping the peace and not into insulting people in this forum. so maybe yes, defensive.

--isla maia

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by dickhead on Dec 25, 2004 09:07 AM

i'm a real woman, yes. defensive? if that's how you read it although i don't see why i should be defensive with you. just interested in keeping the peace and not into insulting people in this forum. so maybe yes, defensive.

--- Original message by isla maia on Dec 25, 2004 10:43 AM

you're taking me too seriously too.

I hate everything and everyone.

Quote:

"i've had to outfit a guy recently from the fall/winter collection of the ... of all brands ... chinese arts and crafts (cac) label, but wow, were they great stuff, and this amazing cashmere chinese padded coat with fur neck lining in dark brown with embroidered cuffs (US$110 - major steal!); and outstanding linen pants were incredible on him. when he got to paris, his friends were all asking him where he got the jacket and pants."

wow, you wanna let me know where i can get one of those?

--- Original message by xcoldricex on Dec 25, 2004 10:28 AM

on hong kong island, china resources building, wanchai area, up the escalator one floor, and to your left, chinese arts and crafts, it's really well designed and looks high-end, so don't get intimidated by the decor, just go in and ask the sales ladies there to show you their special discount winter jackets for men. they'll pull you a few and bring you over to the racks that have the discounts. they usually do a periodic major discount for some special items. the original price of the jacket before it was reduced to US$110, was US$350.

--isla maia