Places of Higher Learning

Miyavi

weird you should mention because im actually head designer for publicity staff on CAC this year. i was lucky enough to get on staff as a freshman as a designer on pub staff last year.

but last i heard, we're trying to get Esetelle for bruin bash. i wont have any solid info until our retreat before 0 week. since i live in san francisco, im gonna have to move in before my move-in date into my friends' apartment just to attend meetings and shit. where are you living next year btw?

really? i was in rieber hall 6 south. idk if youve seen me but i was only like 1 of 3 people that brought their bikes in the elevator and into their rooms.

ah, i was on north side so we probably didn't see each other. i'm sure if i see someone with flat heads and a bike i'll ask if they're on sufu haha

but last i heard, we're trying to get Esetelle for bruin bash. i wont have any solid info until our retreat before 0 week. since i live in san francisco, im gonna have to move in before my move-in date into my friends' apartment just to attend meetings and shit. where are you living next year btw?

ahh shit i know nate.

cougars sonnnnnnnn.

ucla, also

19cm or lvc 47s.

muthafuckaaaaa. do i really need recommendation letters? i sorta had a "fuck off" attitude during my senior year that, despite getting great grades and whatever, pissed off a lotttt of faculty.

oh, and by the way, my current boss is just a woodshop supervisor and wouldn't really (trust me) have much say in anything college app wise.

but thank you both sooooo fucking much for the help. i guess i'm just gonna prep for SATs and start writing a fucking great essay during every breathing moment i have off work... haha. that is, starting tomorrow.

When I was a senior in high school I only applied to 4 colleges...3 of them UC's (UCLA, UCSD, UCI) and a private university (which i ended up going to for 2 years and transferred back to UCI). I graduated '05, the last year that had the old version of SAT I, and I got a 1400 and 4.3 weighted GPA. Sad to say, UCLA rejected me! But i got in the rest of the 3 that I applied to. I don't want to make a gross generalization, but at least in the year that I graudated, UCLA and Berkeley admitted people who I didn't even think had the numbers to get in UCI...While many people who do get in excel tremendously in various areas, some others were questionable...

Anyway, recommendation letters are important for private universities and those who ask for them. If you don't get in a UC that you want, APPEAL! The appeal process is just an appeal letter plus any supporting materials (say, recommendation letters) that would persuade the admission committee in admitting you. I know of someone who went to IVC (Irvine Valley) and transferred to UCI with less than 3.0 gpa because he appealed.

Personal statements are quite important. You have to appear different than the other 30,000 students who are already attending there and the other 329840328 people who are in the application pool.

Good luck!

When I was a senior in high school I only applied to 4 colleges...3 of them UC's (UCLA, UCSD, UCI) and a private university (which i ended up going to for 2 years and transferred back to UCI). I graduated '05, the last year that had the old version of SAT I, and I got a 1400 and 4.3 weighted GPA. Sad to say, UCLA rejected me! But i got in the rest of the 3 that I applied to. I don't want to make a gross generalization, but at least in the year that I graudated, UCLA and Berkeley admitted people who I didn't even think had the numbers to get in UCI...While many people who do get in excel tremendously in various areas, some others were questionable...

Anyway, recommendation letters are important for private universities and those who ask for them. If you don't get in a UC that you want, APPEAL! The appeal process is just an appeal letter plus any supporting materials (say, recommendation letters) that would persuade the admission committee in admitting you. I know of someone who went to IVC (Irvine Valley) and transferred to UCI with less than 3.0 gpa because he appealed.

Personal statements are quite important. You have to appear different than the other 30,000 students who are already attending there and the other 329840328 people who are in the application pool.

Good luck!

i wrote my personal statement on dancing with a girl for the first time and how awkward gyrating and shit was. i don't think it has to be on an epic subject, but its the style it's written in.

how did this essay work out for you, jw??

i got into most of the schools i wanted to; i wanted to either go to ucla or berkeley just because they're good schools at half the cost of a private school. i got on the waiting list at stanford, but they didn't take anybody off the waiting list haha. got into all the other UCs i applied to, NYU, a couple other private schools. I had pretty good stats for college though, it was mainly the ivy leagues that were in question, and i got into some/waitinglist/rejected, but i knew i couldn't afford them from the start.

but from reading other people's essays - which i assume you will do as a senior in high school - you can tell whether yours is unique or not. i remember seeing too many "i was built to succeed and failed, but failing taught me something/was actually succeeding" essays that i wanted to gouge my eyes out.

i got into most of the schools i wanted to; i wanted to either go to ucla or berkeley just because they're good schools at half the cost of a private school. i got on the waiting list at stanford, but they didn't take anybody off the waiting list haha. got into all the other UCs i applied to, NYU, a couple other private schools. I had pretty good stats for college though, it was mainly the ivy leagues that were in question, and i got into some/waitinglist/rejected, but i knew i couldn't afford them from the start.

but from reading other people's essays - which i assume you will do as a senior in high school - you can tell whether yours is unique or not. i remember seeing too many "i was built to succeed and failed, but failing taught me something/was actually succeeding" essays that i wanted to gouge my eyes out.

i am actually going to uci this fall, but wanna transfer to usc next year.

i suck at essay topics...HELP!!!

i think what screwed me up was my essay for USC. since I had 2000 plus and 4.0 unweighted in hs, along with internships and lots of extra curricular.

i wrote about how traveling to harvard summer program was really challenging and enlightening. i think they thought that i wanted to go to the eastcoast instead of stay at a CA school../.

what are some good essay topics that i can bs but look good hahaa

its senior year and all this shit seems kinda overwhelming. i dont really know what i wanna major in, but im thinking architecture. my sister said if i was interested, she could get me into some special medical program, (i didnt ask for details, im just keeping as possible option). anyway, i took my SATs and only got a 1650, im taking 1 AP and 3 Honors classes, two of those classes get me college credits. im taking the sats like two times more i think. all this application shit is kinda overwhelming. what can i do to help chances? my grades were never really amazing, but not bad, a little bit above average. i do know i hold one of the higher(st) grades on the SATs, which is a joke. anyway, any help is appreciated.

don't worry I only have a 1680..although I'm going to retake it. How do 2 of your honor classes get you college credit??

senior as well. already applied to U of M twin cities - was basically recruited by them, sent letters, invited to an open house, got a special fast app with no essay that was half done and which i already sent in. really hoping to get in here as I realized that the cities are perfect for me at least for undergrad and the price can't be beat. i'm applying to the college of liberal arts for psych and i'm pretty confident about it because of my 31 ACT which is 5 points higher than the average for admitted students. along with my ACT my extra curriculars are my strong suits (swimming captain, multi-sport athelete, numerous clubs and jobs). my grades are embarrassing but im hoping that because they put that much effort into getting me to apply i should be sittin' pretty. worst case scenario is that i get rejected and i end up at some UW school, either eau claire or madison probably, which would be totally fine with me.

oh and as for the jawnz Nudie RRDG at 9 months and some PBJ XX-007's on the way from BiG (can't fucking wait for these).