Blur vs. Oasis: 2k8 - The Battle Rages On

jeepster

Blur vs. Oasis  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Blur vs. Oasis

• Blur
    • Oasis
    • both sucked, I like AMERIKAN MUZIK.
    • BOTH SUCKED, MENSWEAR WERE THE BEST BRITPOP BAND.
    • neither

So I'm a fan of both, more Blur than Oasis (because Blur made better, more interesting music overall, but Oasis know how to rock the fuck out while simultaneously ripping off every awesome rock song of the last 40 years) - so I put it to you superfuture, we already did Beatles vs. Stones, how about one for the 90's? Blur vs. Oasis - GO.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

john squire was better than all of them, hands down. but graham coxon came up with the best riffs and could play the shit outta the guitar.

edit again: ddml, I just don't enjoy suede that much. I appreciate them, but I just can't get into them. Animal Nitrate is catchy, but I find nothing very great about them.

if anything, my greatest dislike of suede was all the Smiths posturing that they tried to do. I get it, the Smiths are great, but honestly, they made themselves too much the example for all the british bands who would dominate britpop - it was only proper for Blur's interest in American indie rock to inform britpop's later period and evolve the music.

have we all read Britpop! by John Harris? pick it up if you haven't.

this is truth.

^ you are insane, jeep

the first two SUEDE records are masterpieces

and the third was really fucking good, trashy and disposable

and even SCIFI Lullabies, cobbling together b-sides, has many many many great songs

bernard butler played the guitar like he was ringing a bell

no love of suede and any bad word about the smiths is killing your britpop acumen score.

if anything, my greatest dislike of suede was all the Smiths posturing that they tried to do. I get it, the Smiths are great, but honestly, they made themselves too much the example for all the british bands who would dominate britpop - it was only proper for Blur's interest in American indie rock to inform britpop's later period and evolve the music.

have we all read Britpop! by John Harris? pick it up if you haven't.

the smiths and suede have almost nothing in common, in fact, they seem like polar opposites.

suede sounds drug addled, full of drama, danger, glam, and when you can understand the words, you will discern often painfully obtuse lyrics (shooting marijuana?). if the band were a poet, they would probably be lord byron. a dionysian band if ever there was one.

smiths certainly had heroin in the mix, were into glam (though it did not come through in their sound very much), but the lyrics were always very discernible and marked by reasons. i associate the smiths with wilde, keats, and yeats, for obvious reason. they were an apollonian band, to be sure.

i have reached my pretentious quota for the day

the smiths and suede have nothing in common

suede sounds drug addled, full of drama, danger, glam, and when you can understand the word often painfully obtuse lyrics (shooting marijuana?). if the band were a poet, they would probably be lord byron. a dionysian band if ever there was one.

smiths certainly had heroin in the mix, were into glam (though it did not come through in their sound very much), but the lyrics were always very discernible and marked by reason.. i associate the smiths with wilde, keats, and yeats, for obvious reason. they were an apollonian band, to be sure.

see I disagree with this, it is a well known fact that Brett Anderson idolized the Smiths and during Suede's early career when he was writing with Justine Fischmann, he made many attempts to emulate the same theatrics as Moz. You can't really talk about Britpop without referencing the Smiths as the mold and everything after as an expansion. I believe its proper to say that Blur found their way out of Britpop, albeit much later in their career and due to American influence. Oasis took 40 years of british music, turned the amps up to 11, took the flair for the dramatic that the Smiths had and went along with it. Suede, though obtuse and buried in metaphors are the closest thing next to Pulp's double-entendre's and overly sexualized lyrics to the legacy of the Smiths. Britpop became the bastard child of the Smiths that would eventually be reembraced by Morrissey once he began his solo career, especially on Vaux Hall I & II. You can't talk Britpop without talking about the Smiths.

point conceded. virtuoso guitarist plus eccentric frontman. smiths no doubt spawned the britpop genre. but suede seemed to be the counterpoint to the smiths thing; that is they played against the influence. in response to the asceticism of moz, suede responded with debauchery. they were los angeles in london. and moz, obviously, took london with him to LA.

i mean c'mon. moz = celibate; brett = sex personified

pulp ftw (7)

close thread.

When I listen to Pulp, i have no opinion about it, no feeling at all.

When I listen to Oasis, I wanna smash the singer's face in and sever his vocal chords.

point conceded. virtuoso guitarist plus eccentric frontman. smiths no doubt spawned the britpop genre. but suede seemed to be the counterpoint to the smiths thing; that is they played against the influence. in response to the asceticism of moz, suede responded with debauchery. they were los angeles in london. and moz, obviously, took london with him to LA.

i mean c'mon. moz = celibate; brett = sex personified

but then again, the rest of the Smiths - junkies, rollers, eccentrics and anti-socialites which is incredibly similar to the whole of Suede. Differing frontmen make all the difference though.

STONE ROSES > SUEDE

THE JAM > ALL OF THE ABOVE

these two statements are very true, but by the time britpop rolled around Paul Weller was already considered the godfather of anything British thereafter. So in essence, without the Smiths or the Jam, British music wouldn't be british to that much of an extreme. Thats a generalization, but it proves very true in Wellers embrace of both Blur, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene and many of his britpop offspring.