Chore coats

superBobo

and on to the 40s orslow in hickory stripe... 

more shirt weight, but jacket cut...

fit, details, [reduced button and pocket numbers etc.]

[and whilst I do not baulk from double denim, double hickory stripe is a much harder challenge...]

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

edit:

a double denim double chore post from earlier in the year; with boncoura and orslow as team members...

ODVwpyHh.jpg

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

23 hours ago, MJF9 said:

From Vintage Showroom, vintage Hamilton Carhartt hunting jacket going for £950

that's a pretty hefty mark-up... I'm eyeing this red head jacket supposedly from 1950s also, a more modest figure of £85 its asking price...

[pasted together for comparison...]

hunting jackets.png

29 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

that's a pretty hefty mark-up... I'm eyeing this red head jacket supposedly from 1950s also, a more modest figure of £85 its asking price...

[pasted together for comparison...]

hunting jackets.png

Bartles, l presume the red head is the one on the left? I say take it, if its what you want and the measurements work out. Nice patina.

Been desperately trying to find any old pics of an old 1970's brown Lee duck 91-LJ style chore/barn coat l once owned, but to no avail. I think photobucket has swallowed them up.

Such a hardy coat, really thick/tight weave/abrasion-resistant canvas, with a wool liner. Was perfect top layer for walling in the cooler months, although the brass buttons would catch things and became annoying, so l sold it on.

Anyway, carry on...

Edited by Dr_Heech
Spelling

hey Dr!

pity to not see the lee in duck... 

the red head is the one of the right  - not the chest zip pocket, rather a high button pocket (the one on the left is the second image in the vintage showroom carhartt post) - the red head has more pockets, looks pretty goddamn un-worn, and I believe has an internal seat / game pocket (like this: from a green 40s version, which is on market for a more significant £250...)

image.thumb.png.f758898929f9e7378365948333fba126.png

image.thumb.png.9cde0b87bfe3d00190012cf012a65c3a.png

as I said before, hickory on hickory is too strong a flavour even for me... I showed the prison suit as so often I fall into the habit to think of hickory as railroad and US prison stripes as thick horizontal ...

full stripe outfits definitely pushes the depersonalisation aspect that denim worn both up top and downstairs does not do so much for me ...

I think full stripe can look good. FW does it well... could be quite a laugh trying to pull it off out and about in the grim north or indeed anywhere for that matter though. The recent wabash thread has no doubt influenced my thinking.

Shots below courtesy of the www by way of illustration (the first has trousers too long imo and not digging the shirt on the second) 

IMG-20200527-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200527-WA0004.jpg

Edited by MJF9

indeed, indeed, I retract: full wabash has my definite approval... [not that I have tried, for a moment I did look at the pherrows wabash tux offering, but the 555ca chore top pocket looked too Union Jack/half Iron Cross-ish...]

... triple stripes wabash best achieved with use of waistcoat ... 

4 hours ago, Geeman said:

what do you wear with a full on wabash/prison stripe/rail road outfit...:mellow:

you mix and match stripe directions: with a piquant admixture of horizontal and vertical you might actually look plaid from a distance...

although for the sake of summer pattern clash bedazzlement: I actually like hickory with camo: stripes with a bit of good ol' flecktarn [not as shirt tho...]

11 hours ago, MJF9 said:

That shirt is so out of place eh. White/ecru henley/long sleeved t-shirt would be ok... but definitely not a wabash shirt!

A wabash polka dot shirt was one look, but the main one worn though was definitely a white/ecru long-sleeved collared shirt:

Subtler stripes here for a bit of power clashing:

3D823D00-91AB-4094-A99B-2058877A849E.jpeg

Band collar (attachable collar removed to keep it presentable for going to and from work):

E086579F-D9D8-4923-B438-EF5304ACA652.png

C762F233-5677-43E1-9B9C-178F3625B766.jpeg

DAFB7B2E-EEFC-4B38-ACF5-D7D540B6908A.jpeg

E0271D61-507C-4A88-8ACC-A3140BF356F8.jpeg

8E7BA4A8-2A23-4369-8379-03CACDF3FE97.jpeg

0E563CEF-7830-42C1-808F-65E25FBD33F4.jpeg

Edited by Iron Horse

14 hours ago, Geeman said:

Checks and stripe is never going to work....

But then what do you wear with a full on wabash/prison stripe/rail road outfit...:mellow:

Well, it was a uniform in those days, so you’d be wearing whatever else was issued to you ... or you’d be wearing whatever other clothes you could afford. I guess sartorial and chore weren’t words often mixed until SuFu was born :laugh2:

15 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

When is a chore coat not a chore coat? What defines it?

AFAIK, the defining qualities of a chore coat include:

-Length; should be longer than a blouse (denim jacket) and reach at least halfway down one's rear, preferably covering it entirely

-Two large patch pockets at the bottom of the front, generally open top (no flap) plus another patch pocket or two on the chest, one with a side opening to accommodate a pocket watch (usually on the wearer’s left-hand sign, made with right-handers in mind); optional inside pocket

-Wobble shank buttons early on; snap buttons on later versions

-No pleating on front (as on a blouse/denim jacket) but a wide facing that flares out to meet the outer edges of the collar stand at the base

-No game pockets on the side or back (as seen on hunting coats)

-No slash/hand warmer pockets

-No riveting as on a denim blouse; bartacks instead

-Cloth or disposable paper patches; no leather patches

-Curved deep cuff

-No upper chest panel like on a denim jacket

-Two-piece back with a seam down the middle

-Plain front (no bottom panel)

As always, this is historical, so modern interpretations can feel free to change things up, not preaching the gospel here.

carharttsackcoat.jpg

carhartt-chore-coat-history.jpg

image_resize-5.php.jpeg

20200527181655a6f.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

On 5/28/2020 at 5:11 AM, Iron Horse said:

Subtler stripes here for a bit of power clashing:

3D823D00-91AB-4094-A99B-2058877A849E.jpeg

Who’d have ever thunk it? Tmadd was a time traveller.

On 8/1/2014 at 8:29 PM, tmadd said:

Pulled from my instagram...

051bb8d7-1b91-4738-a6a1-b03aaa2126cc.png

• 2 weeks later...