Chore coats

superBobo

I can’t believe this thread was dormant for almost 5 years until revived by aho. We’ve seen plenty of chore coats posted in that time but all within their respective brands threads I suppose.

17 hours ago, goodrain said:

IMG_20200117_135908.thumb.jpg.e06acaf4284fba2fdf4a61581c2de9c5.jpg

My current favorite is the Utility Jacket by Engineered Garments. Picked one up after seeing Flash's pics and pretty much wore it everyday during fall/winter/spring Just bought the same jacket in a ecru-ish color from Grailed this week

I think your favorite brand OOE is releasing two coats soon? @aho

That’s a great coat. I love chore coats but must stay away from any that make me look like some sort of railroad worker. 

It depends on the coat and how you pull it off for sure. For me I usually steer clear.

With that said,  I've been eyeing non-denim chore coats but the denim ones always pull me back in. Currently I have a denim pointer and a canvas carhartt with the blanket lining. I really love the carhartt. Its great for NC winters and I think its a good look.  The pointer is nice but there are more interesting options out there. I really liked the TCB chore jacket - I think this is discontinued now. The new TCB version looks great but I don't know if I'm ready for the extra details - tilted pocket, whatever the arm / shoulder design is called...I like it but I'm not sure about it yet. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.48.37 PM.png Carhartt + TCB 20s + go twinkies2035664266_TCBChore.thumb.jpg.3b97259017685a288ac43506a037d910.jpg

Edited by erk

That Carhatt is nice. Looks like it has a corduroy collar? That is one detail I really like but usually only appear on a slightly different style of jackets called hunting jackets?  I prefer more standard pockets as well which I why I didn't wait for the upcoming OOE ecru coat when I found this EG one on Grailed

IMG_20200524_172620.jpg

33 minutes ago, goodrain said:

That Carhatt is nice. Looks like it has a corduroy collar? That is one detail I really like but usually only appear on a slightly different style of jackets called hunting jackets?  I prefer more standard pockets as well which I why I didn't wait for the upcoming OOE ecru coat when I found this EG one on Grailed

Yeah it does have a corduroy collar. I've heard them referred to as hunting and barn coats jackets barn coats. Carhartt refers to it as a chore coat - so thats what I've gone with. Thats a nice EG jacket. My worry with ecru pants and jackets is dirt. Do you have trouble keeping it reasonably clean looking?

31 minutes ago, erk said:

Yeah it does have a corduroy collar. I've heard them referred to as hunting and barn coats jackets barn coats. Carhartt refers to it as a chore coat - so thats what I've gone with. Thats a nice EG jacket. My worry with ecru pants and jackets is dirt. Do you have trouble keeping it reasonably clean looking?

If the color is more off white usually dirt and stains don't stand out like they do on a white tee. But yea I wouldn't wear it as my one and only jacket or wear it to do dirty work

High Grade US Standard were mentioned in another thread recently.  They have a white duck hunting coat so on current topic.  I think the thin cord collar looks really good.  Not sure about the pockets to the rear but I think it's a quirky and good looking jacket overall.  Pics below courtesy of their site.    

High Grade US Standard Hunting Jacket 1.PNG

High Grade US Standard Hunting Jacket 2.PNG

@Kit Carruthers - don't make me blush now... its all body shape it seems: I am tall, have long body compared to legs... chores seem to work with that...

@ecsong187 - the thing that prevents me from looking tellason is that front pocket - it does the side entry pocket and then some (but I want it more like a vintage Filson napoleon entry-line, not a massive diagonal entry)

other notable chores for me...

the boncoura version... [approximating early 20th century styles circa 1920s but probably earlier?]

bought undersize (out of necessity more than choice, but works... long sleeves but short body, a cross now between blouson and chore, achievable due to raglan sleeve...) - all thanks to a tip off from esteemed @Broark-san...

WkkUd9hh.png

pockets, bar-tacking, scalloped front and more...

BtQMZuFh.jpg?1

Of7Ki6Ch.jpg

aWXphmYh.jpg

xb6nbsqh.jpg

V824zhGh.jpg

here would be the approximate version of that also from the post overalls blog

LH8KZ2eh.png

and a more worn fit with tcb20s...

Atm1Hgvh.jpg

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

@bartlebyyphonics yea I despise the pocket layout on the Tellason but I’m looking for something for work. I am in the construction trades. so I haven’t had much luck finding something that looks like it could handle the abuse. 

totally understood!: your Filson seems to cope tho!: how has Carhartt worked in the past? I have started wearing my knackered carhartt detroit jacket again (not a chore, realising how much it takes elements of mid century leather jackets and translates it into duck canvas) and see that the US arm of the company is messing with that basic design now (the older version now available a over priced European W.I.P. version without proper lining...)

LC King seems like good one alongside Pointer for a thrashable item?

may have imagined it but I remember seeing knickerbocker doing some really solid versions for other M.I.U. versions some years back ...

@bartlebyyphonics carhartt is nice just so bulky in the arms. 
My Filson is doing great but off for repairs again. 
so I’m in need of a jacket to rotate while it’s out of commission. Haha 

3 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

@ecsong187 - the thing that prevents me from looking tellason is that front pocket - it does the side entry pocket and then some (but I want it more like a vintage Filson napoleon entry-line, not a massive diagonal entry)

Have you tried the SherlockHolmesXDoctorWatson lemonentry version?

There's only one article of clothing I own that's sure to outlast me no matter how long I live: this 19oz duck coat from SDA. I remember putting it on the first time--winter of '15-16, I believe--and thinking uh-oh this is actually going to hurt to break in. 859956157_IMG_3990copy.thumb.jpg.d873a97c8fe6371716ca9d0a245964b9.jpg

392413165_IMG_3993copy.thumb.jpg.82bb9f3be73e43f816cac5247c1f4be1.jpg1033478171_IMG_3997copy.thumb.jpg.26eb02e99cd9cf5b69a6a01d2292192e.jpg

Favorite buttons of any item I own. Zinc laurels with copper shafts? (I'm not sure what that piece is called):

719105321_IMG_3995copy.thumb.jpg.4e280d1a867c43f7f7f9e5b4354713f9.jpg300357771_IMG_3996copy.thumb.jpg.883f6c88491e75838082d94a9959ea00.jpg

Edited by MileHighEvertonian