Chore coats

superBobo

My trusty 60's Lee blanket lined 81-LJ has kept me warm over the years. It's a sz. 44 so slightly oversized so a wool sweater or jacket can be worn underneath for added warmth.

LEEI.jpg

Who are those people in the background? I'm much too sober to handle the fish eye lens effect.

Levi's RED Elijah chore coat from 2000.

elijah.jpg

What is that stripe across the front above the bottom button?

That'd be shelf fade, I imagine (?). Adds up, given as how it's from 2000, but still with tags. When dead stock stays folded on a shelf in the sun you often get this sun-bleached stripe where the folded edge was out in the light. You also get this with fabric on a roll. I guess it devalues NOS for purists, but personally I always kind of like it:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I posted this in the "Small Questions" thread, but thought maybe it would fit here as well. I am very new and wasn't sure where to post this.

I am stumped on what era/year my LEE 91-J is from. It's union made, has the "Long L" LEE buttons, selvedge in the pencil slit on the front pocket, but what's very odd is it doesn't have the Housemark on the label, but has a thin "hanging" type label that I haven't seen before on a jacket this old. Several denim geek friends have told me it was likely from the 20's. Photos of authentic 1920's and early 1930's 91-J coats seem to be hard to come by and all of the Japanese repos aren't done exactly the same way. Can anyone on this board share their expertise?

photo4cq.jpg

photo1qj.jpg

photoox.jpg

Nice long L Lee 91-J. It's from the 50's. Lee's from the 30's had the yellow and red tags or the "house marked" tags. They also had chin straps. Hope that helps. As a rough guide this side documents a number of Lee 91-J tags.

http://www.redcloud.co.jp/detail/work_tag.htm

Hello,

I posted this in the "Small Questions" thread, but thought maybe it would fit here as well. I am very new and wasn't sure where to post this.

I am stumped on what era/year my LEE 91-J is from. It's union made, has the "Long L" LEE buttons, selvedge in the pencil slit on the front pocket, but what's very odd is it doesn't have the Housemark on the label, but has a thin "hanging" type label that I haven't seen before on a jacket this old. Several denim geek friends have told me it was likely from the 20's. Photos of authentic 1920's and early 1930's 91-J coats seem to be hard to come by and all of the Japanese repos aren't done exactly the same way. Can anyone on this board share their expertise?

photo4cq.jpg

photo1qj.jpg

photoox.jpg

Thank you so much! That does help. I'm curious, I had understood that LEE stopped using the "Long L" on the buttons in the 40s? Is that not true? Also, have you ever seen a 1920's Loco Jacket? It seems every site only goes back to the 30s.

Nice long L Lee 91-J. It's from the 50's. Lee's from the 30's had the yellow and red tags or the "house marked" tags. They also had chin straps. Hope that helps. As a rough guide this side documents a number of Lee 91-J tags.

http://www.redcloud.co.jp/detail/work_tag.htm

reasonable! price? you can buy a MF midnight twill p jacket and an N1H for less than that. not too far from a horsehide leather jacket with matching pair of custom wescos for 1350 EU. other than the awful price, it is pretty.

someone who i know bought a visvim backpack (last season, i believe) from union after his old, shitty backpack broke from 7 years of use. the strap on the left shoulder got TORN to shit for no reason (he wasnt abusive or anything). so i'm not sure if visvim is trusted, but either way, selectism has no sense of what the word "relatively" means.

someone who i know bought a visvim backpack (last season, i believe) from union after his old, shitty backpack broke from 7 years of use. the strap on the left shoulder got TORN to shit for no reason (he wasnt abusive or anything). so i'm not sure if visvim is trusted, but either way, selectism has no sense of what the word "relatively" means.

I'm sorry to get off topic here, but:

you probably should've just clicked through and read the blurb from selectism before getting Strunk & White on them.

Despite the dearth of Visvim here, we do like what they do. However, we also feel it’s impossible to talk about Visvim without mentioning the elephant in the navajo blanketed room – their prices. This coverall is relatively affordable and, aside from stretching the word relative to its logical limits, it’s a pretty great piece.

It seems they definitely have "a sense" for what the word means.

back on topic: does anyone know if Carhartt makes an UNlined version of this coat or something similar?

tumblr_l8suq1upCL1qam50k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this but apparently Pointer started using a heavier weight denim (15 oz) for their indigo chore coats info here

I was disappointed with the old lighter weight one, but I think I'll order one of these to see the difference. I also noticed they've raised their prices.

I've been on the fence about buying a Pointer denim chore coat for a while now. I'm sorely tempted by the heavier denim but I feel like I already have too many denim jackets and assorted coverings. It sucks that they only have XL and L in the duck chore coat... Anyone know where to snag smaller sizes in the duck?

Well, no shit! Thanks. Here I was scouring Ebay. But ouch... the prices in USD are a bit higher than what I wanted to drop. But, I guess that's scarcity at work for you. Back to the hunt.

I'm sorry to get off topic here, but:

you probably should've just clicked through and read the blurb from selectism before getting Strunk & White on them.

It seems they definitely have "a sense" for what the word means.

back on topic: does anyone know if Carhartt makes an UNlined version of this coat or something similar?

tumblr_l8suq1upCL1qam50k.jpg

yeah they do

i picked up a "carhartt heritage" chore coat last month from the current spring season. it is unlined, 12 oz canvas, perfect for spring/summer nights when it's not too cold

p1080310.jpg

model is called " state" coat

http://www.thecarharttstore.co.uk/shop/catalogue/mens/carhartt/heritage/state_coat/brown_rigid

here is a fit pic:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2727301#post2727301

interesting to note the old carhartt logo and not the typical carhartt "c" logo

carharttstatecoatblackf.jpg

A year or two ago I bought a Pointer duck chore coat in sz Medium, but it's a bit too small for me. I had no idea they were somewhat sought after now. I'd be willing to sell cheap or trade for a Large.