Chore coats

superBobo

So then I reproed my big smith Hartford denim style

8b07b5da.jpga2475097.jpgeb9847e7.jpgd845b6c6.jpgafdac623.jpg8704c3b1.jpg997b3153.jpg

Dude, that looks amazing. I like the busted seam down the back rather than the felled seam. I could probably go without the leather collar and that leather patch on the back, but that thing is a work of art. Nice man.

• 1 month later...

I was watching an old silent "Our Gang" little Rascals called Dog something or another, and they had these two dog catchers on the short, 1928 I think and they had the most amazing chore jackets on. One was newer and the other was worn in with patches on it and rips. It was on Turner the other day. Worth finding just to see the vintage denim.

HH, very cool sighting. Could you tell if the jackets have chin straps?

I'll have to check again, I have it on my dvr. it's from 1927 called Love My Dog .

HH. TMC is, by far, my favorite channel because of all the clothes in the old movies they show. I watch it for long stretches just picking out the details and such. I watched those 'Our Gang' as well and wow, how refreshing to see how un-pc they were.

On the old style in movies tip, I watched 'The Red Baron' over Christmas and even though as a movie it was pretty boring, the overall look was really well done and the clothes were awesome.

I was watching an old silent "Our Gang" little Rascals called Dog something or another, and they had these two dog catchers on the short, 1928 I think and they had the most amazing chore jackets on. One was newer and the other was worn in with patches on it and rips. It was on Turner the other day. Worth finding just to see the vintage denim.

That does have some amazing jackets. I tried to take frame stills from that short to post here a while back, but I haven't figured out how to get around the copy protection. There is another Our Gang short called "Railroadin"" with some incredible loco jackets. It is on the complete DVD set of the Our Gang talkies.

Another great 1930s movie with chore coats and much more is "Other Men's Women" about three men who work for the railroad. In one scene, Jame Cagney takes off a pair of denim overalls to reveal a tuxedo. Which is a bit silly. But there is a lot of nice workwear in the film, and it is enjoyable as a movie too.

This one? - http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/comedy/watch/v16219649WDzAdDQt

Just checked my Our Gang set. The one I was thinking of involving the dog catcher is called "The Pooch" from 1932. And the chore coat does have a chin strap. I wonder if this was a remake of "Love My Dog" which would have been a silent since it is from 1927.

• 2 weeks later...

^That looks a lot better in your photos than on the douchebag Oki-Ni model. He's probably the only model I've ever seen who makes everything he wears look like utter shit.

Anyway... could you provide some measurements? Chest, sleeves, length? I don't trust Oki-Ni.

No problem.

Medium. Post-20 min cold soak.

Chest: 19.5

Sleeve: 17.75

Length: 23.5

I estimate shrinkage of an inch all around, more or less.

Sleeve measurement is from the pit, impossible to measure a raglan sleeve any other way.

If you're thinking of picking up their large, I can post a shitload of pictures along with what I know. For instance, I estimate the denim weight as 12 oz, maybe a hair less.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed on Pointer Brand's website they no longer listed their Duck Chore Coats. I sent them an email and this was their response:

"Since Carhartt took their production to china, brown duck in the states

is not made anymore"

So no more duck jackets from Pointer Brand.

I noticed on Pointer Brand's website they no longer listed their Duck Chore Coats. I sent them an email and this was their response:

"Since Carhartt took their production to china, brown duck in the states

is not made anymore"

So no more duck jackets from Pointer Brand.

Glad I bought mine..f##k that's crap!

Still pissed about this late release Ltd Ed wabash stripe chore coat from RRL this FW10 which sold out immediately in my size.

chore.jpg

What is up with RRL destroying all their clothes?

It's so office folk can feel like 1900's miners. Although I never undertand it myself, especially when its more expensive than the unwashed version.

I am office folk, but I can't stand pre- beat up clothes. i like to put some work into them. i think it is because they are "season" oriented and if somebody is buying clothes seasonal, then they ain't got time to put some wear into their clothes. May also be the reason mister freedom uses fabrics that wear in quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a blanket lined Carhartt Duck chore coat for £17!

It's well worn and a little shabby but still very comfy.

A bargain at that price.

Did have a Pointer Brand hickory Chore but it was a (US) small and was only just too small for me. Shame as it was brand new and looks great!

Cheers :)

Just bought a blanket lined Carhartt Duck chore coat for £17!

It's well worn and a little shabby but still very comfy.

A bargain at that price.

Did have a Pointer Brand hickory Chore but it was a (US) small and was only just too small for me. Shame as it was brand new and looks great!

Cheers :)

Pics dude. Lets see that carhartt.