buzz rickson sweatshirts from history preservation...

Shorty Long

i just got mine today and it's VERY nice.

i have a number of authentic vintage sweats (hanes, healthknit) and some repros, and it's almost identical in terms of cut, fabric and construction to the older pieces i have...

plus, it's in a solid, deadstock condition...so no silly manufactured stains, holes or abrasions

should last me a while...at least until i'm too old to rock it at jazzercise class

br_sweatshirt_thumb.jpg

i like the way this look. $95 isn't too bad either considering the quality. it's strange that they only have size large available. i wonder how much shrinkage to expect and what're the overall dimensions. can you give us some ideas shorty?

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

well, i usually go for a 40" chest and i tried to pre-order a medium when they were still available, but they suggested i get a large...

it was a slight bit on the big size when i first got it, but i washed it in tepid water and dried it on low heat, and now it fits perfectly.

it does appear to be in 'deadstock' condition, no preshrunk cotton here, and cut/sized in vintage style, so i expect there will be subsequent shrinkage...

i think it's safe to go with a large if you're usually on the small/medium side of things.

by the way...the gray looks nice, but i picked up the off-white and i really like it, and no $95 is not bad at all considering what you're getting...

i'm also eyeing that sugar cane western denim shirt

This looks fantastic. I wear a size 40 US / 50 EU jacket, and am usually a size medium, so do you think a large would fit me well after shrinkage?

History Preservation says Large fits 42" chests best, but I'm not sure if that's before or after shrinkage.

And yeah, I'd love to see some pictures of your off-white sweatshirt.

sorry fellas...no digital camera for me. i'm still in the dark ages here. maybe this will help.

i'm 5'9", 150lbs w/ about a 40" chest, and i like my sweats to be on the snug side, but in no way tight. the sleeves are the right length, it hits just below the waist and it's perfect around the chest...i know this isn't as good as a pic, but i'm doing my best here.

my large tag reads 40-42, and like I said, it fits me fine...for comparison, i have a couple LVC sweats and i always get them in small...the buzz rickson is virtually the same size, maybe a hair longer in the body, but not much at all. this is post-washing and drying in a dryer...i wouldn't be surprised if it shrunk a LITTLE more after a few more washes, but it won't make a huge difference in the fit.

for the money, i'd say get one of the buzz ricksons before you shell out for an LVC...that's if you're just looking for a plain, hard-ass, durable sweat that's cut in the vintage style. of course, some of the LVC designs/graphics are really nice, but they are usually pretty pricey.

Edited by Shorty Long on Oct 29, 2005 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Spruce...

http://www.stevenalan.com

I have a Slim fit hoodie, and it's amazing.

--- Original message by minya on Oct 29, 2005 07:09 PM

is this "Spruce" related in any way to the "Mayo Spruce" manuf. that used to make sweats back in the day?

--- Original message by Shorty Long on Oct 31, 2005 12:05 PM

I don't believe so. I could be wrong though. AFAIK the Spruce I'm talking about is a fairly new brand, from Canada.

BTW, would you say the sweatshirt fits kind of like this? Obviously without the print...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119703/344041/

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Spruce...

http://www.stevenalan.com

I have a Slim fit hoodie, and it's amazing.

--- Original message by minya on Oct 29, 2005 07:09 PM

is this "Spruce" related in any way to the "Mayo Spruce" manuf. that used to make sweats back in the day?

--- Original message by Shorty Long on Oct 31, 2005 12:05 PM

I don't believe so. I could be wrong though. AFAIK the Spruce I'm talking about is a fairly new brand, from Canada.

BTW, would you say the sweatshirt fits kind of like this? Obviously without the print...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119703/344041/

--- Original message by minya on Oct 31, 2005 01:59 PM

i would say that would be what a MEDIUM would look like on me if i had ordered one...mine is slightly longer in the body and just a bit fuller...same type of cut though

OK guys. There are some things I'll shell out for and others not. I'm not willing to part w/ $150 for a hoody.

Any suggestions for a plain, non-logo'd, full-zip hoody with a vintage feel in the sub-$100 ballpark? Is there any happy medium between Champion/Jerzee's/Hanes/Etc. and the $150 models????

Thanks.