Looks like BBC finally launched...

misteraven

i figure with the star power on hand at the launch, plus the nature of the stars (all on their 14th minute of fame out of 15).....i give'em 1 1/2 before them close shop or do a 180 and completly reinvent themselves. how about the 4 figure fellas? for all those cats makin $9,999 and less!

Edited by kole on Aug 24, 2004 at 08:04 PM

Edited by kole on Aug 26, 2004 at 08:17 AM

Edited by kole on Aug 26, 2004 at 08:17 AM

Come-the-f*ck-on! Fred Durst? Andy Dick? And is there anything in that line besides that smilie boy and BBC logo in various colors? And the "Ice Cream" - *sigh*. Let's hear it from the man himself:

"The Ice Cream collection is everything the sneaker enthusiast desires -- it is fashionable, aspirational, and most of all it is limited." Yeah, too bad it's uglier than your neighbour's ass.

Ok, maybe the following models will be better. "Additional images to be featured in the footwear collection include radios and dice and pagers and money rolls." Ok, maybe not then. And the best part? "Ice Cream is available for a suggested retail price of $200".

"There is a tremendous opportunity for us to create a niche in the sneaker category that would set this collection apart from anything else that is out there." Well, at least you succeeded in that.

Nevertheless, dedicated fanboys (like Dolo?) will keep on buying, just because he's Pharrell and it's a collabo with Nigo.

just some info in case anyone get caught up in the hype and wants to know where to "cop this and that".....

here are the stockists

US:

Nom De Guere/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Isa/Brooklyn/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Memes/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Premium Goods/Brooklyn- BBC & Ice Cream

Recon/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Ubiq/Philadelphia- Ice Cream

Union/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Alife Rivington Club/NY- BBC & Ice Cream

Classic Soles/Atlanta- Ice Cream

Kid Robot/NY- Ice Cream

Training Camp/NY- Ice Cream

Michael K/NY- Ice Cream

Fred Segal/Santa Monica- BBC & Ice Cream

Fred Segal/Melrose- BBC & Ice Cream

Seattle Retro/Seatle- BBC & Ice Cream

Blends & Carve/LA- BBC & Ice Cream

Undefeated/LA- BBC & Ice Cream

Suite 160/Las Vegas- Ice Cream

Huf/San Fran- BBC & Ice Cream

In4mation/Hawaii- BBC & Ice Cream

Recon/San Fran- BBC & Ice Cream

EUROPE:

Harvey Nichols/London- BBC & Ice Cream

Bathing Ape/London- BBC & Ice Cream

Browns/London- BBC & Ice Cream

Microzine/London- BBC & Ice Cream

Colette/Paris- BBC & Ice Cream

Apartment/Berlin- BBC & Ice Cream

90SquareMeters/Amsterdam- BBC & Ice Cream

Subzero/Amsterdam- BBC & Ice Cream

Purple/Italy- BBC & Ice Cream

BeCool/Rome- BBC & Ice Cream

Sneaker & Stuff/Stockholm- Ice Cream

JAPAN:

All the Bathing Ape stores

http://www.geocities.com/edvedsimon/bapeindex.html

saw the shoes and a logo shirt. personally I was disappointed. kinda figured I wouldn't like the shoes from what I saw in pictures, but they just looked femenin and fruity to me like something you'd see in a window on christopher street. shirt was basic to the point of being insulting, particularly when considered with the hundred dollar price tag. seemed like they scanned and streamlined some old clip art and then just screen printed it centered on a shirt.

i'm not really knocking nigo... personally I still like a good part of what I see from bape (just wish they'd make bigger shoe sizes). their screen print quality is pretty amazing actually, though I'm becoming less a fan of how well the t-shirts themselves wear (they seem to start out nice and soft and get kinda coarse with age). most the cut & sew stuff is top notch, though whether it's always worthy of the price points is another arguement probably not worth getting into. regardless, nigo generally has an attention to detail that's argueably unparalled, but this bbc stuff just doesn't feel the same at all. i kinda wonder if nigo feels the same since he always has a look of disdain in the press release photos in start contrast to Pharrell - kinda like he rather be somewhere else. then again, i'm not sure i've ever seen nigo crack a smile for that matter. the bape x pepsi collab was out of left field and felt cool (to me at least) when all was said in done, this mass market collab between reebok x bbc just seems lame before it even started. i know it's not exactly the same sort of comparison, but if you're going to start jumping into bed with other companies why start with one as fat and boring as reebok? perhaps it was strictly about dollars, but reebok feels more like a consolation prize than a win. or is bbc so arrogant to think that their so cool (before even shipping any product) that they can make anything else cool by simple association?

maybe I just like to hate, but that's just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

what's frustrating for me is that at one point in time, nigo was doing some serious things with BAPE...years ago i thought the label could do no wrong...the designs were solid and the quality was top notch...but it just seems as though more and more, nigo is moving out of the "underground" music scene and falling into mainstream hip hop...and this has definetly shown in his designs...i still like some of what BAPE does, but in the end, it really does seem more and more that it's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...seems like nigo has lost alot of his edge and passion...just my thoughts....

what's frustrating for me is that at one point in time, nigo was doing some serious things with BAPE...years ago i thought the label could do no wrong...the designs were solid and the quality was top notch...but it just seems as though more and more, nigo is moving out of the "underground" music scene and falling into mainstream hip hop...and this has definetly shown in his designs...i still like some of what BAPE does, but in the end, it really does seem more and more that it's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...seems like nigo has lost alot of his edge and passion...just my thoughts....