The Warhammer & Warhammer 40k Thread

jeepster

Warhammer & Warhammer 40k:

obviously the latter was sweeter, but the former has its moments of awesomeness as well.

I have a box full of 1/2 finished (albeit never painted) Space Marine & Chaos characters in my basement.

What a ridiculously expensive hobby as well.

discuss.

Fantasy is by far the better system.Games Workshop was very bad at making legal errata, clarifying what errata trumped what rules, what was to be played and adopted, etc., so the game that required the least amount of clarification was certainly the best game. As a rules-set 40K was a mess. It had a better universe with better fluff, and those cityfight boards were the tits, but as a game it was frustrating and really prone to domination by marine-types (I played the Imperial Guard, so I am a real trooper/complainer). Jervis did what he could, but the nuances of the Fantasy rules set steered me well and away from 40k, I quit after fourth edition.

I would consider picking up this hobby again if I found the right club. I have a really beautiful Slaanesh mortals army still in the works, and I do love the Guard...

Warhammer was probably the only thing I was ever good at.

The game itself was far too convoluted to learn properly. You would have to sacrifice a lot of time that could be wasted on fapping or something else more productive to learn that shit proper, and not even be good at the game, just to understand how to play.

You could learn it properly, it just boiled down to differences in opinion and the lengths you'd go to win. Bad sports held extreme rules interpretations and ruined 40k for the rest. The simulacrum parallels reality.

I had warhammer, 40k, space marine, titans, bloodbowl...

Why didnt they make direct conversion computer games of these? would have been so much better, no collecting, no need to remember all the rules etc...

A computer game would have an overly-rigid play mechanic, would totally nullify the person-to-person interaction and game-shop community that was entirely essential to both games, and would have probably made GW a lot less money.

I used to have a pretty good Chaos Space marine army, but nobody would ever play against me cos I always trounced their crap orc armies. I was never really that into the whole game I just liked painting and customising the models, so I ended up selling off all of my stuff to some kid for more than I paid in the first place.

Playing this and thus having to go through book after book of rules and background made me get a 9 out of 10 score on my final exam for English in HS.

Here goes:

- played Dark Angels, Orks, Tyranid, Eldar and started Dark Eldar (but never played them) in 40K. Would probably play Tau if I ever started again, however they were introduced after I stopped.

- played Orc, Dark Elves & Halfling (including 2 Treemen) teams in BloodBowl

- played Orks in GorkaMorka (not so well known discontinued, small skirmishes between Orks in a Madmax setting (loads of customized cars & bikes) based on the 40K system)

- played Van Saar & Goliath in Necromunda

Never got into the Fantasy games ('cept for BloodBowl) simply liked the "Grim Darkness of the Far Future" more...

Subscribed to the Brittish White Dwarf.

Damn! That's a lot of money right there...

I recently bought an issue of White Dwarf again out of curiousity, they've just introduced a 5th edition for 40K, and rules seemed to have slimmed down a fair bit since I used to play (wich was mostly 2nd & 3rd edition)...

Hi, Icarus, glad to see you here my friend!

i played Warhammer a few times, but never had any figurines (i think we used poker chips?) and I pored over the 40K guidebook, but never played, nor have i ever owned any miniatures.

i played some steve jackson system (CAR WARS!, gurps), hero system (champions, danger international), and battletech. and of course D&D.

40K:

Chaos Marines, mixed banners

Space Wolves- Blood Claw heavy

Imperial Guard- Steel Legion

Imperial Guard- balanced city-fight type

Imperial Guard w/ Demon Hunters- Grey Knight Anvil

BattleFleet Gothic:

Imperial mixed fleet with Marine BattleBarge (Outer Reaches Fleet, or whatever it was called)

Fantasy:

Skaven Clan Eshin- with Deathmaster

Hordes of Chaos- mixed Slaanesh

I am totally jealous of Cotton (hi!) for having opponents for Necromunda and being old enough to have had GorkaMorka models. I was lucky that my club was filled with Grand Tournament players from both systems, and that I had the chance to participate in the halcyon days of Dakka Dakka (though I never did manage to make the pilgrimage).

Maybe now with my style all figured out I can go back to Warhammer...