What's the shoe of choice in Japan?

DJ_Flame

not from japan so dont know much, but i hear lots of people say alfredo bannister, but that's on sf so i don't know if lots of people wear it there....

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Pretty hard call...

Basically anything popular in US for the masses.

But for the fashionheads, anything unique, I'm talking anything. Stupidly fashion conscience here, like you guys wouldn't understand. So all deadstock, limited edition and if made in western world even better, someone quoted to me the other day Japan was the capital of sneakerdom haha.

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

The most popular shoe by far, from young to old, is the converse all-star black-white, then the Nike Dunk. You have to remember that back from the mid-80s to mid-90s, most sneaker companies were VERY focused on promotioning the American market and used to spend more marketing and pushing for all the newest shoes to America and Europe. As a result, most of Asia, including Japan, was short-changed with many retroed, simplier models largely because most companies figure many Asians couldn't afford them. It was only during the mid-90s, did Japanese create the "Harajuku" look that reflected these retroed models and sneaker companies start realizing that Japan represented a truely new and unique market. Furthermore, most Japanese are into what's popular in America. If its American, made in America, etc., its more popular/highly-desirable. I would have to say a VERY small percentage of Japanese are very into Japanese-only brands. Most are into high luxury European brands and American luxury/lifestyle clothing labels. The most popular label in Japan? Burberry. Particular because they have many diffusion labels: Burberry White Label (Armani Exchange), Burberry Black Label (Emperio Armani), Burberry Porsum, Burberry (Armani), for every price range only in Japan. I'd have to say Alfredo Bannister isn't that popular for most Japanese.

Guest Fade to Black

I hear that for a relatively 'underground' big corporate fashion label, Dior Homme is extremely popular in Japan as a lot of stuff moves out of stores fast and the signature looks are often the center of attention for seasonal fashion mag editorials, can someone from Japan shed some light on the truth to this?

Very difficult to say 'what is popular' in Japan, because the market (even the fashion market) is extremely fragmented according to age, profession, interest, etc. Much more so than in the west. You will find, for example, that, as a group, 20-22 year-olds dress noticably differently from 23-25 year-olds. Despite the misconception in the west that Japanese all look and dress the same, it is not true at all.

Having said that, a couple things that seem to cut across all groups & sub-cultures: 1) the Japanese like identifiable brands, 2) they really like 'limited edition' items (perhaps it comes from living on such a crowded island...)

Difficult to say what single thing is 'big in Japan' because popular culture is so fragmented according to age, profession, interest, etc. Much more so than in the west. You will find, for example, that, as a group, 20-22 year-olds dress noticably differently than 23-25 year olds. Converse All-Stars are indeed HUGE, but only among certain groups -- others wouldn't be caught dead in them. However, a couple of things are generally true across all tribes and sub-cultures: they love identifiable brands, and they love limited or special edition items. Maybe comes from living on a very crowded island.

i've been living in japan for a couple of months now, and as far as shoes:

_women are all about boots. boots, boots, boots all day long. cowboy boots are especially popular right now.

_pointy flats, pointy stilettos, pointy kittenheels.

_men usually wear some kind of leather loafer

when it comes to sneaks:

_lots of chuck taylors in every color, texture, and print you can imagine

_retro nikes...dunks, af1's, terminators

_i see a lot of adidas shell toes among hip hop dancers

hope that helps, good luck with your paper!