thoughts on de-branding?

cheapmuthafukr

^^^^^

agreed.

I think de-branding is difficult when the brand/logo is actually an integral part of the article's design, such as the Nike swoosh or Adidas 3 stripes..

If it was something like a tag on a pair of jeans or the backpocket stitching, I don't think it'd be a huge issue....

They can be picked / scrubbed off with coarse cloth, soap, water and some patience. Not all that advisable if the rest of the jeans are dark indigo though and there'll always be little flecks of paint left behind. They eventually come off with washing anyway.

I remember reading that Face article. Really annoyed me at the time cause I'd been thinking about getting rid of the gulls on the Evisus I had (since they'd really reached a saturation point in London) but couldn't be seen to be doing somthing cause itt'd been in the Face.

Yo I got a pair of grey dunk hi's wit the swoosh removed, got it from ebay, didn't realize that it was removed when i bid on it... i'll show u a pic later when i get home from work... take a look before u actually decide to do it, personally i think it's fine.. but def check it before making any decision cos the swoosh are first glued then stitched on (wit big ass needles) ....the leather after swoosh removed isn't smooth lookin...

i personally wouldn't do it, i think the swoosh is an important part of the shoe, so it shouldn't be removed, it's different with things like backpocketstitching, i got it of my nudies and they look waaaaay better, but just look at some pics people will send you and decide what you like best, it comes down to personal taste as afore mentioned, good luck!

''Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing those things ''.

I've actually thought about this as well and I don't think it would be a good idea considering how the swoosh is integrated into the design of the Dunk. The only Dunks I own are white leather ones so an outline of the holes from the stitching would be very obvious. Might be different for you though since you have black suede ones.

Haha, talk about delicious irony...

Quote: I remember reading that Face article. Really annoyed me at the time cause I'd been thinking about getting rid of the gulls on the Evisus I had (since they'd really reached a saturation point in London) but couldn't be seen to be doing somthing cause itt'd been in the Face.
Irritated by the brand, but don't want to de-brand since de-branding is itself a brand promoted by a lame magazine.

No offense meant, Yak, I just found it particularly amusing. icon_smile.gif

None taken...I could appreciate the humor in it myself. The problem was that, at the time, Evisu were pretty much the only non-vintage jeans of their caliber available (and in those pre-eBay days finding decent vintage would have been a full time job) but literally every single person in London seemed to be wearing them.

The problem was solved for me when the jeans got stolen from a laundromat. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Oct 26, 2005 at 10:14 AM

Quote:

there was a piece in The Face about people doing it (many moons ago)

It's all personal preference really ... i have done it with some things, never with trainers ...

If you want to, go for it ...

--- Original message by Cue on Oct 26, 2005 07:34 AM

Yeah I have that issue, might try to dig it out and have a re-read.......r.i.p the Face.

I still have my favorite 95' Stone Roses issue on the coffee table

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Yeah i knew a guy who was into "debranding".

Would walk around the streets "debranding" all the bentleys, rolls royces, ferraris etc.

I think he is still in jail, so watch out you crazy debranders, let branded consumerism rule forever... huzzah!!

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss

Quote:

Speaking of William Gibson, what is the name of that short story about the consultant

who only wears the debranded Levis and only gives her opinion with no questions allowed.

--- Original message by benny rags on Oct 26, 2005 04:38 PM

I think you mean the novel Pattern Recognition. Her name is Cayce Pollard.

ask a cassowary

Quote:
Quote:

I took the back pocket stitching off some levis (partly so i dont get many "didnt you wear those this week already.")

--- Original message by nwhysee on Oct 26, 2005 01:38 PM

how would that work? people would still see your wearin the same jeans?

--- Original message by witts on Oct 26, 2005 02:46 PM

It's funny, you think they would notice, but without the familiar Levis back pocket stitching they dont stick out as much. For instance wear a plain pear of 'unbranded' jeans for a week and then do the same with Evisus and you'll be surprised how quickly people point out the Evisus.

i'm going to get this watch and have the engraved part taken off by a jeweler.. he said he'd only charge 35 dollars to do it too...

love the watch, hate the branding.

http://www.kennethcole.com/scripts/shop/product.asp?pid=5820&cc=KMWTH&title=&pw=thumbnail&var=0&srchtype=&srcharg=&size=

-k