LOOPWHEELER AW77 + NIKE Sportswear

fame

Old news for some. Maybe news to a few?

I personally think this is one of the better collabs this year. In a sea of meaningless collabs, its good to see Nike dig deep for this one. Made in Japan. Im definitely getting a full zip.

pics from Loopwheelers site.

080806aw77_hfzip_gr14750.jpg

080806aw77fullzippk_1st_back14188.jpg

080806aw77fullzippk_1st14186.jpg

lets discuss!

does anyone else find it entertaining that nike is now pushing artifacts of pre-late stage capitalism modes of production as a premium brand? can't wait for the wieden+kennedy campaign - "sweatshops - not as good as the real thing, people"

that said, the tier 0 lunaracer is the most insane sneaker of the year... roll on progress!

Just got back from the opening of the London Nike Sportswear pop-up store in Shoreditch. They're charging 200 pounds (as in, nearly 400 dollars) for the full-zip Loopwheeler hoodies. They were offering a 20 per cent discount tonight, but that's still over 300 dollars. For a hoodie. I like Loopwheeler, but seriously...

I've seen the entire collection in person at Nike's offices and it's a bit strange to me because it seemed like 20% to 25% of the collection is current existing models from Loopwheeler but with Nike tags.

LW doesn't seem like the kind of company that would sell out like that, but it's obvious that even the big dollar speaks greatly in Japan.

I've spoken at length with the owner of LW while in Tokyo almost two years ago, and he stated multiple times that they're not interested in selling their product outside of Asia, and they're not interested in producing any more than they already do. This entire Nike thing is exactly what he said he DIDN'T want to do.

I am not sure what you expect. Loopwheeler makes extremely simple sweatshirts/hoodiesd. Of course it's going to be the same thing with Nike labels. Every shoe company collab is the same thing. Dunk with a different colorway = limited edition collab. Vans with a different material = collab.

^^ to use your analogies, i think what kiya is saying is the colorways and material are the same. so it's more like an oem relationship where nike gets to rebadge lw apparel as their own. it'll be interesting to see if this actually decreases the value of the garments to the actual (not target) audience of the range

i have zero personal experience with any of the parties or transactions involved but on the surface, the nsw arrangement effectively allows lw to sell overseas without assuming any risk. so i'm not sure if i would call it a sellout if lw maintains ownership of the capital and intellectual property?

i have zero personal experience with any of the parties or transactions involved but on the surface, the nsw arrangement effectively allows lw to sell overseas without assuming any risk. so i'm not sure if i would call it a sellout if lw maintains ownership of the capital and intellectual property?

you've probably hit the nail on the head here. no one's going to recognize the little orange tag that states 'loopwheeler' on the left cuff. plus the distro on this nikexlw lineup is so narrow worldwide, i'm not so sure this collab is a sellout.

but the $120usd i spent on the lw full zip hoody purchased from gordon from big over a year ago seems like a good deal (or even the $130 i spent on my wife's hoody when at the lw store this past march) in comparison. but our tags aren't orange.(10)

factor in the fact lw is still not sold outside of asia (if you want one, build in the cost of a flight/hotel/etc. - proxies are still a treacherous unknown for the vast majority) and the markup intrinsic to collabs, and the $100+ premium becomes less unwieldy.

• 3 weeks later...