Buying & wearing ebay FAKES, your thoughts...

soundune

OK. possibly slightly off topic, but I'm interested to hear opinions. What about furniture and high end design? for example Due to a much discussed legal loophole I see a lot of places, both on the highstreet in the UK and - on Ebay as well - selling blatant copies of classic designs ... a common example would be the ubiquitous Miller Eames Lounge chair. Italian and asian companies get away with producing almost reproduction grade copies of that because they're sold as Eames inspired pieces. I guess the issue is that for the most part, these products are comparable in quality to the original, at a quarter or a third of the price, but without the tags or the history.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how fucking superficial are you to wear fakes. that is pathetic, dont do it. dont do it. Like i think the fat bitch has a real LV purse and the vondutch hat (maybe it is real, but she spent her whole summer working for it, that by the time she could buy it the cool kids just tossed them on top of their livestrongs and burberry scarves) is rich and i want to have sex with her because her purse is expensive.

Burberry stoped making scarves and hats with the nova check because every slutty girl and chessy guy were giving the brand a bad name.

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Oct 24, 2005 at 11:58 AM

double post. champagne, you gotz mad style. i have a few fake gucci t shirts i wear, but they are obviously fake, tack huge logo prints. those who know whats up get it. thoes who don't give me props on my shirt and i just laugh. its like when people wear lacoste and kids say "nice shirt" sure its a nice shirt, buy to you that little alligator or crocodile makes it a "sick shirt"

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Oct 24, 2005 at 12:06 PM

I don't support fakes; they just don't have the quality and when you are, like me, a seasoned shopper who's done the research, you'll know the fakes from afar. I've tried buying a couple of fakes but I always put it aside after 2 weeks, so my conclusion is, it's not worth the money. Go for the real. If the authentic stuff's too expensive for you, then just buy less and save up for one item that you'll treasure.

As for resellers, I actually think they're justified to be here. Anyone who does economics or business will know that it's just demand and supply. If they set a high price and no one's willing to pay, the price will go down. Vice versa. In addition, if they need to queue for something, then they are putting effort into acquiring that product too! They can get their hands on the gear because they wake up earlier than you . If you don't want to queue, you pay. That's pretty fair isnt it? This is what the free market is about.

This is all random.......

Quote:

I don't support fakes; they just don't have the quality and when you are, like me, a seasoned shopper who's done the research, you'll know the fakes from afar. I've tried buying a couple of fakes but I always put it aside after 2 weeks, so my conclusion is, it's not worth the money. Go for the real. If the authentic stuff's too expensive for you, then just buy less and save up for one item that you'll treasure.

As for resellers, I actually think they're justified to be here. Anyone who does economics or business will know that it's just demand and supply. If they set a high price and no one's willing to pay, the price will go down. Vice versa. In addition, if they need to queue for something, then they are putting effort into acquiring that product too! They can get their hands on the gear because they wake up earlier than you . If you don't want to queue, you pay. That's pretty fair isnt it? This is what the free market is about.

--- Original message by Caramel on Oct 24, 2005 03:24 PM

word

Quote:

if you really care about the design of the product, you should try and aim to compensate that designer in some way- i.e. BUY THEIR PRODUCTS, and not something created by an exploited laborer in a third world country, produced by someone co-opting the work and integrity of another designer

--- Original message by shoegal on Oct 23, 2005 09:14 PM

she hit it bang on, i like to stay authentic, if i cant afford it, i either get my paper to that level, or i plain just dont buy it.

i think if people didnt care so much about labels and being looked upon as "cool" or trendy and bought according to quality, there would be alot more variety in what people wore..

I realize I'm a little late to get on this thread, but I don't think I've seen a valid diss on

fake gear yet.

People really seem to be taking it personal, like someone buying a bootleg item is stealing some of the cache from something that you covet and happily line up to pay retail to.

Get real motherfuckers, bootleging and ripping people's designs is what fashion is all about. Evisu, came into being as 'Evis', one letter short of it's icon 'Levis'. Bape's main item

is the 'Bapesta', even a blind man could you it resembles a Nike Dunk in its essence.

By the way, do a search on Lacoste, because this has been discussed previously.

Benny Rags

also, stealing ideas or using them in a different way is very very very different form making counterfeit goods. evisu and bape sell their goods legally under their own name doing what they want to do (bape... come of madd simple, evisu... originally to do nice levis repros), not making replicas of another companies goods then branding that companies name on it.

I think instead of lamenting how much money is wasted on fake gear, DONT CARE, maybe

you and some others should spend some time to justify what makes the name brand worthy of being valued so highly. Brand names are only worth what we as consumers invest in them, and I personally am in favor of the bootleggers. All these fashion companies try and get labor costs as low as they possibly can. How can you fault a factory owner with an ounce of the hustlers gene in him or her from taking advantage of every possible oppurtunity availible?

I wasn't explicitly trying to equate appropriting with bootlegging, they float in the same space. But really, people ripping ideas is a well established practice in the fashion game, and there's few that are innocent.

Benny Rags

Its just as valid for someone to rock fake with a sense of humor, parody has a place, spinning watches all iced out, pen & pixel Album covers.... Just cause people are broke doesn't mean they want to dress that way. And besides they love to watch other people get mad about their fake gear anyway. It's worth your drama because noone else is so caught up with the minuatae of it all.

Benny Rags

Quote: BOTTOM LINE THOUGH, DON'T PAY MORE THAN A SHIT QUALITY ITEM IS WORTH. IF YOU'RE BUYING SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU THINK OTHERS WON'T BE ABLE TO TELL THEY'RE FAKE AND THEREFORE YOU'LL BE COOL - YOU'RE GAY.

dctmfc is pretty much on point in most of his posts in this thread.

anyways, on a side (but somewhat related) note - i have to admit, i actually considered picking up a pair of those obviously fugazi ezra fitch jeans off of ebay for like $30. i mean, i really could care less about the brand (in fact, i'm pretty sure theres no obvious branding which is preferable) - but if i can get a decent pair of destroyed jeans for $30, i'm fine with that. i just can't understand why people would pay $200 for a pair of jeans that you have to use caution when washing because they might fall apart?!?

unfortunately, i have no idea what the quality of the actual product itself is like, which gives me pause.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Ok, ok ok ok,

I really think most people who wear knocked stuff just like the way its looks, and want to

get on that trends' bandwagon while it lasts. They probably couldn't be more removed from owning the actual item (because of sheer economics), but the likeness carries weight.

I haven't seen that much fake bape in LA, but I just recently saw some fake evisus on this guy selling fake sunglasses in the Santee Alley. The jeans had like twelve pockets sewn all up the back like those jeans with all the scattered NBA embroidery's from a couple of years back, and they really looked like evisu should've put them out, cause they all their regular shit is so middle of the road over the top, and these were just killing it.

Benny Rags

I think both side of the argument makes sense..

As for myself, even though I don't buy fake, I would see a design from a certain design house and like it, however, the price is much higher because of that guy's name. I think in many cases, people just like the design.

Of course, you can see some kids, especially those with fake LV purse, Burberry scarf, etc. are wearing the fake to be a status symbol, that is very obvious.

So because of this, I must say there are two very different diverge motivation for fakes.

Actually for myself, I find it very difficult to tell whether a product is fake or not, especially just from looking at dyes, stitching, etc.. would love to learn how to tell whether it is real or not, but no where to learn it. So because of this, I just usually stick to retail outlet.

Quote:

I think both side of the argument makes sense..

As for myself, even though I don't buy fake, I would see a design from a certain design house and like it, however, the price is much higher because of that guy's name. I think in many cases, people just like the design.

Of course, you can see some kids, especially those with fake LV purse, Burberry scarf, etc. are wearing the fake to be a status symbol, that is very obvious.

So because of this, I must say there are two very different diverge motivation for fakes.

Actually for myself, I find it very difficult to tell whether a product is fake or not, especially just from looking at dyes, stitching, etc.. would love to learn how to tell whether it is real or not, but no where to learn it. So because of this, I just usually stick to retail outlet.

--- Original message by red120 on Oct 25, 2005 12:29 PM

i disagree, fake is fake, period, don't buy it if you can't afford it, who cares?? there's lots of nice tshirts and stuff with good designs for waaaay cheaper then designer stuff, so just go and look there in your price range

where i live some people wear like fake prada sneakers and burberry caps, i feel so sorry for them trying to be '' cool '' rocking all the obviously fake crap. it's usually so obvious if someone is wearing fake stuff, mostly because of the attitude: look at me, wearing all the expensive stuff. so just never buy fakes

i get it that some people buy them for other reasons, like:i like the design or something, true that justifies buying fake stuff more but still, i'm just against it, but that's my opinion

''Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing those things ''.

• 3 years later...