Buying & wearing ebay FAKES, your thoughts...

soundune

So, I've been scrolling through page upon page of BAPE hoodies, Evisu jeans, etc. and each time I come across an $80 shark hoodie or a $90 dollar pair of Puma Dai's I'm tempted to say 'fuck it' and purchase. Honestly, I must admit in my more naive days (i.e. last year) I did purchase a dirt cheap (relative) pair of Evisu Puma Dai's off ebay, unaware of the fact that the tag on the inside leg read: 'made in Turkey'.

Anyway, my question is....(granted I havn't seen a "real" pair of Puma Dai's) what's the main issue people have with wearing this 'hot' merchandise?? It seems that the quality is comparable and even if it isn't and your 'Evisus' or "Bapes' wear out after a year, who cares? You're probably the only person, as you walk down the street, that knows your shit is hot. Why spend $1200 fucking dollars on a shark hoodie when you could get it for $100??

I look forward to ALL responses.

PEACE, people, PEACE

PS - don't get bogged down with the technical, it's the spirit of the question that I desire a response to

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for the few people that even notice what your wearing (well, as opposed to people saying that guy looks like a fucking idiot with that baby monkey tshirt), they might notice some irregularities with your crap and the real deal, but really, how many of us do you see walking the streets? Being in university, i see none and the people i live with are pretty confused with my clothing and nike obsession, and think me wearing my jeans everyday for months without washing is even stranger. where i was going? i cant remember?

i think generally when people shell out a lot for a certain item, its because they like the quality that comes with it. you're not going to get the same quality with a knock off, ever. and then, you're just buying it cause its trendy, and to me, thats kind of silly.

all very true, but what if the main reason you like the product is because of say....the image printed or the motif. For example, take the Bape Shark hoodies, again. I don't believe they say Bape on them anywhere but the tag, so unless they're down, a dude off the street won't know anyway. but, personally, i enjoy the shark hoodie.

Now i don't own ANY bape products, i was in tokyo this summer and could have bought some gear, but couldn't justify spending a small fortune on a sweatshirt or t-shirt. so here's a common predicament in the day and age of EBAY.

keeping with the Shark example: I like the shark hoodie for what it is, not who it's made by, I can't justify spending hundreds on it (even if the quality is out of this world) SO why not buy a rip off on ebay?

Shit, it's not like anyone in fucking SEATTLE would ever know the diff...although i'd never wear ti around GOODS (but that's besides the point!!!)

Yo, so keep responding away. Thanks for the input

if you really care about the design of the product, you should try and aim to compensate that designer in some way- i.e. BUY THEIR PRODUCTS, and not something created by an exploited laborer in a third world country, produced by someone co-opting the work and integrity of another designer

i guess your name says it all...appreciate the input, however blunt and 'i'm a self-riteous ass' it makes you seem.

let me be clear, I'm simply toying with the possibility of purchasing hot gear off ebay. after finding out i was ripped off on my Puma Dais, trust me, I am not too eager to buy anything like that off ebay.

I don't advocate the practise, I don't even do it myself (besides the aformentioned Dais)

simply wanted to hear peoples thoughts, so keep it coming...

ps...my shitty puma dais have held in there pretty well for about 4 months, now. i really don't see what the difference in quality is besides the denim being a lot lighter....can anyone respond to that?? without being an asshole about it?

TRUE all that...which brings up another question, someone mentioned buying the real thing so we're not supporting sweatship labor.........but buying a $500 dollar hoodie in the country the company is from (BAPE in Tokyo)....come on, how much do you really think it cost to make that hoodie......a better question is if it's cool to charge exorbitant prices is right. shit would still be exclusive if they charged say....$150 for it...i mean hell, i would pay 150 for that all over money RECON hoodie (if they had anymore in stock!!)

PEACE

Quote:

i guess your name says it all...appreciate the input, however blunt and 'i'm a self-riteous ass' it makes you seem.

let me be clear, I'm simply toying with the possibility of purchasing hot gear off ebay. after finding out i was ripped off on my Puma Dais, trust me, I am not too eager to buy anything like that off ebay.

I don't advocate the practise, I don't even do it myself (besides the aformentioned Dais)

simply wanted to hear peoples thoughts, so keep it coming...

ps...my shitty puma dais have held in there pretty well for about 4 months, now. i really don't see what the difference in quality is besides the denim being a lot lighter....can anyone respond to that?? without being an asshole about it?

--- Original message by soundune on Oct 23, 2005 09:18 PM

Real diffusion Evisu (for the European market) is manufactured in Turkey I think. Often lighter denim, different cuts and lower price point than the Jap market stuff but not fake. Officially manufactured by yamane and co. You might just have a diffusion pair, not a fake.

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

MilSpex, thanks for the reply. you actually brough up something interesting. can you tell me more about these Eueopean made Evisus??

shoeGal. you're right, the post has already gotten out of hand. however, not to point fingers, but you did bring up the whole sweatshop tangent...ANYWAY thanks for the replys

PEACE

Quote:

TRUE all that...which brings up another question, someone mentioned buying the real thing so we're not supporting sweatship labor.........but buying a $500 dollar hoodie in the country the company is from (BAPE in Tokyo)....come on, how much do you really think it cost to make that hoodie......a better question is if it's cool to charge exorbitant prices is right. shit would still be exclusive if they charged say....$150 for it...i mean hell, i would pay 150 for that all over money RECON hoodie (if they had anymore in stock!!)

PEACE

--- Original message by soundune on Oct 23, 2005 09:33 PM

real bape hoods arent much more than US$150 in the store. its the resellers that charge $500 etc. oh yeh and Shoegirl how is paying a reseller $1200 for a shark hood supporting the designer or label?

Edited by MilSpex on Oct 23, 2005 at 10:11 PM

Said to me by my friend in HK who works in product sourcing and mfg.

"Sometimes fake not fake"

And by that he meant that sometimes the stuff you think is fake actually comes off the same line as the real gear. It's just they run 1500 instead of 1000....and sell that extra 500 out the back door.

I think this tends to apply to larger name brands, not BAPE.

Quote:

And by that he meant that sometimes the stuff you think is fake actually comes off the same line as the real gear. It's just they run 1500 instead of 1000....and sell that extra 500 out the back door.

--- Original message by Bronson on Oct 23, 2005 10:11 PM

yeah all the textiles places in HK/China run a second `shift` at night to make the `fakes`. yeah Ive heard thats usually for bigger brands diffusion runs like armani exchange or whatever.

Quote:

That happens more thant we think.

Nice Things, for Nice People :: http://www.niceproduce.com

Quote:

i know a guy who goes over too hong kong an comes back with stuff like this... my friend bought some prada sport america cup shoes off him and i checked em to the ones i sell @ Work an theyre legit ... and thats what i think is goin on with alot of the bape stuff thats goin on ebay coz its all the same fabric & patterns in some of the stuff cause the stuff bapeddy has is on ebay for around £100 each, to be honest though buyin fakes you will either get conned with crap quality or workman ship, therefor the product will jus look cheap or fall apart or ruin in wash or it will just look fake to everyone.

Anyone seen those evisu all the kids are runnin with the stitched on guls then the guls in a pattern around the back pockets and then more gulls on the turn up ... they make me laugh!

14_1_b.JPG

Edited by witts on Oct 24, 2005 at 04:48 AM

DCTMFC has a very decent point..

why spend 100 $ on a fake that isnt even worth 10 $ .. if it was 10 $ then maybe you have a point.. but the craftsmanship, cuts, inks, are gonna be well off when theyre made in a thai sweatshop (and even sometimes on those sly-out-of-hours runs in the actual factories) compared to a japanese high-attention-to-detail / strict-quality controll workshop..

you gotta realise, some of the good vuitton fakes sell for a couple hundred.. but why the fuck are you paying that much for a fake? thats just plain stupid..

learn how to cut + sew. penis.

Edited by thomas_highstreet on Oct 24, 2005 at 04:52 AM