Do you hate the word fashion?

homi29

I tend to hate the word fashion. Maybe i'll just tell people i like clothes.

Fashion has alot of negative associations with it in N.American society. It conjures up images of celebrity trend chasing, exorbitant prices , ed hardy , bullshit corespondents/stylists on shows like inside edition, and bad magazines with too many perfume ads.

how do you feel?

yes i realized my writing style is kinda supertrashy, move if you must. But this could aso be a good serious topic.

yeah for the most part it isnt really worth saying fashion. i just tell people jokingly i like to blow all my money on clothes, which is essentially true. then if they ever ask my opinion on something related to fashion they cant get the whole song and dance

I don't mind the word "fashion" because it could basically translate into literature , art and different stuff.. but struggle does have a point with personal style but that's just one thing

well i should clarify i have no problems with the word fashion only with the associations that come along with the word anytime it's mentioned

I hate when words are spelled completely differently from the way they're pronoucned, and in that sense, fashion has always bothered me . . . scissors and knife, and the name Siobhan are other thorns in my side, so yes, i guess i do hate the word fashion.

Most people that I talk to about this immediately Think of runway when they here the word "fashion". Personally I think fashion encompasses everything from from lrg to J. Lindeberg. They also think that people that are into fashion are usually snobby, which actually isn't the case most of the time.

sense and reference will always problematic when engaging in public intercourse, especially for highly specialized nerds like us.

this idea of "a personal style" on the other hand is a load of shit, especially when brought up as a counterweight to "fashion." pragmatically speaking certain shit works better on some people and other shit don't (for obvious factors), but don't be frontin' like we ain't copy nobody.

i like the way the word rolls off my tongue just like the word facade

on a serious note there are stigmas attached to most words really, if someone looks at me funny then that's cool. I will clarify exactly what i don't mean usually if i need to.

Ummmm I wouldn't necessarily hate the word but I don't like the association that come with it like someone already mentioned. I dont like fashion, I just like clothes (taken from the mrs.). Fashion to me is whats in, whats the new trend of the season, what "x" designer is doing.

"Fashion fades, style remains the same."

i dont even feel comfortable telling people my major is "fashion design"

i prefer to use the word "apparel"...especially since im more interested in technical fabrics and performance wear ...

in general terms i see the word fashion,itself as ok, i take it to mean expression or identification through garments/accessories... but like others have said..the connotations associated with the word are very negative to me...

excess, over-consumption, superfluous spending...these are just some of the things i have come to reject that are associated with fashion and often times this is part of the lifestyle and spending habits of most "fashionable" people

take for instance...the term "fashion accessory" ... this could be a number of things but i take it mean something of no real functional importance other than that of pure aesthetics...perhaps its a bangle or bracelet that ties your outfit together with color or texture ...while it may look good visually it is essentially "useless" ...im interested in pretty shit that does dope shit...

letting function follow form...

when i heard the word fashion, it jsut remind me of those naive trend chaser

I agree. It does have a negative notion. Personally I put fashion under the same category as design/aesthetics. After all I'm interested in the design aspect rather than the popularity of wearing the latest Prada loafers and such.