NYC tour

kent_Choi

I'm going to join a tour to NYC on this saturaday. Unfortunately, I will visit 5th avenue instead of soho area and I'm really interested to visit headporter, stussy and supreme. So is it far to walk from 5th avenue to soho area? Beside, are there any stores which are worth to visit? and how can I check the office hour for each of the store?

Yeah i dont think you're gonna make it down to any of those stores, they're pretty far from the popular 5th ave route (Supreme's overrated anyway). If u can check out Training Camp (41st and 6th Ave) they had some crazy finds when i went there at ore than decent prices, icon_smile_cool.gif WuTangs loose in the glass counter.

It depends where you are on 5th Avenue. If you're at Washington Square Park it's only about a ten minute walk. If you're in midtown (and my guess would be that, for shopping, you're more likely to be there) then walking would take too long. A Subway ride will get you there in twenty minutes or so though. From the 5th Ave / 53rd St Station take a downtown E to Spring St or a V to Broadway / Lafayette. You'll be able to get there and back, covering all three stores, in about an hour and a half if you move fast (although SoHo is a fucking nightmare on a Saturday afternoon).

Thanks! Well, is it a good idea to go there by taking taxi since I'm not familiar in NYC. And would you guys send me more information about the subway ride? Also, is it really crowd in soho area at that time? I have heard that you have to spend around 2 hours to get into supreme store, what about headporter and stussy?

Cab would be like $7. As far as trains, just ask the attendant for a map and instructions or one of the cops standing around. The only think you really need to watch out for taking the train is to not jump on an express train that's going to take you 5 stops past the one you want.

Regardless, from midtown you'll want to take an N or R downtown to Prince street. From there you'll be exiting either in front or across the street from the Prada street which is about half way between Supreme and Stussy/Head Porter. Also in the area, you'll find Kid Robot, Union, Apple flagship store, Clientelle, Stack House, 555 Soul, and plenty of couture brands.

Kaws just repainted the Stussy store so they were closed for a few days, but I believe it's been re-opened already.

Don't take the train if you are not familiar with it or with anyone who knows how to take teh train.. if you don't feel confident enough knowing where to get off then YOU WILL get lost. It's not a very complicated tranist system but if you are already doubting your abilities mastering how to get from point A to point B using it then i guarentee you will probably get lost somewhere along the line.

Just take a Cab to where you need to go... take it to Broadway and Lafayette st. and start exploring there Or if you gain the confidence then take either the B, D, F or V to Broadway/Lafayette... they all stop there express or not.

I will save you your 6 hour wait to get into Supreme. They have 4 T-shirts available 2 Neckface shirts that they've been rerpinting add-nauseum, a shirt with an air brushed Malcom X and a shirt with puckered lipstick marks. They have a hoodie with a Hot dog applique and some of their generic button down shirts, very plain jeans and Camo shorts for like $120. And of course tons of corny Spit-fire and Anti-Hero skate t-shirts and Nikes you can find elswhere.

Just a suggestion, but you ARE on superfuture... go the NYC maps and print them out. They're very accurate as to where everything is around each other.

Supreme is nothing special. Basically just a skate shop that gets a lot of attention cause they used to do cool stuff. Stussy store is, well, a Stussy store. Great if you're into Stussy, may as well be an expensive Urban Outfitters if you're not.

Places I would recommend...Union, Nom de Guerre, Dave's Quality Meats, Recon, Alife...all walkable from B'Way / Lafayette and all (I think) on Superfuture. They're a little bit spread out, but you could make them all in an afternoon. Of these, Union probably has the best selection of stuff (or seems that way since the space is so tiny) and Nom de Guerre is the coolest space (might be tricky to find if you don't know where to look...it's in a basement on Bleeker opposite a store called Atrium) they really need to get some new stock in though. Alife is good too. May as well stick your head in Prohibit on the way to Recon / Alife.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Aug 20, 2004 at 08:25 PM

Recon is as big a waste as as Supreme if not more so... BUt if you want to Hit Nort, you may as well go to recon since they're next door. Alife is mostly a waste also unles syou want a pair of Ritefoots.. the actual shop doesnt stock much. their rivington store is where the sneakers are at and that's really tricky to find if you've never been to it.

I'd also hit Stackhouse, next door to supreme and on the same block as 555 soul... but i think most of these stores are in the flux of running out of summer merchandise and have not gotten their fall stock in yet, so selections are gonna be pretty limited in all of them.

Supreme is not a waste of time. Don't let the NYC internet fashion police, in this thread stop you from going to Supreme. Stackhouse is worth your trip as well as Vice, Dj Honda and the others. Lafayette from Spring Street up to East 4th Street is a really good way to see Soho/Noho. Lot's of furniture stores mixed with clothes/ cafe's etc. Don't forget Elizabeth Street, from Spring St up to Bleecker St either. Enjoy.

Supreme is worth a visit for the out of towner, even if you walk out empty handed which is usually the case. You wont have to wait in lines 98% of the time because they rarely have anything new. The only time you see lines is when the new delivery launches and the days after, or when there's a special release. That and some mornings when you catch a couple japanese kids waiting for the store to open.

Currently there is a sale going on, so you know there's nothing really worth picking up. Last time I stopped by they still had bags, which aren't bad if you'r in the market for one and don't mind paying a premium for it. Other than that, it's pretty much what all have said. The same neckface and malcolm x shirts. (though I suspect they're poor sellers, and thus lingering, and not being reprinted)

Union is also worth a visit, considering it's a pretty decent store and is most consistently stocked out of all the 'cool' shops. It's also only a short walk. Tons of t-shirts and a pretty fair selection of lines. Chances are you'll dig into your pockets for at least one of them. Regardless, few of these stores are more than 10 - 15 minute walk from each other, so it's probably worth going to all of them regardless of how good/bad people say they are.