Leather jackets

my point is about this:

show me 1 (one, just one) picture of someone wearing a julius or rick owens jacket who is white (as in not asian), over the age of 29, and looks good. and is not rick owens, i mean a person in the every day.

i know that most people who would buy a $2000+ jacket from either brand have the money to not care, its just i am blow away by the rationalizations by 18 year olds in ohio!

neg rep me but at least i have an opinion that looks 4 years into the future.

What about Diesel Jacket that looks like Rick Owens, I have a neighbor he's turning 30 tomorrow?

I too was once faced with this dilemma. For my first purchase i went with a custom model Lost Worlds leather jacket in Horsehide. I ordered it in my true chest size, 38, and was disgusted with the traditional fit. The shoulders were way to broad and the sleeves were too large for my slender physique. On top of that the horsehide was way to thick for comfortable wear. I quickly sold it and recouped most of the cost, and learned a lot. I shopped around a bit and tried an H&M leather jacket (which fit well but was made of substandard quality leather), but later opted for a Golden Goose one. Its top quality and fits magnificently. The body is short and the sleeves a tad long. The leather they use is a thick and high quality cowhide, but because its been processed and worked its a million times softer and more comfortable to wear in an everyday context.

Bottom line is, don't stress about what is "classic" or "authentic". Go for a more pragmatic purchase--something which suits your specific needs. If you're not going to be riding a motorcycle or anything which might require similar protection, don't bother buying Horsehide--it's just a waste and won't make you any more masculine. If you wan't something that just looks great get a RO leather jacket, Giorgio Brato, or a GG like me. They are tailored 1000 times better and wont make you look like you're trying too hard to "keep it real".

while that guy might not fit the non-asian part of the awkward request, I'm quite certain hes old enough to completely bash the idea of not being able to wear a modern, slim cut leather jacket at an older age.

thankfully I still have almost 5 years to this mythical age of 29, so I can still cop Rick Owens and can focus on dressing like I want to instead of preparing for being older :o

I too was once faced with this dilemma. For my first purchase i went with a custom model Lost Worlds leather jacket in Horsehide. I ordered it in my true chest size, 38, and was disgusted with the traditional fit. The shoulders were way to broad and the sleeves were too large for my slender physique. On top of that the horsehide was way to thick for comfortable wear. I quickly sold it and recouped most of the cost, and learned a lot. I shopped around a bit and tried an H&M leather jacket (which fit well but was made of substandard quality leather), but later opted for a Golden Goose one. Its top quality and fits magnificently. The body is short and the sleeves a tad long. The leather they use is a thick and high quality cowhide, but because its been processed and worked its a million times softer and more comfortable to wear in an everyday context.

Bottom line is, don't stress about what is "classic" or "authentic". Go for a more pragmatic purchase--something which suits your specific needs. If you're not going to be riding a motorcycle or anything which might require similar protection, don't bother buying Horsehide--it's just a waste and won't make you any more masculine. If you wan't something that just looks great get a RO leather jacket, Giorgio Brato, or a GG like me. They are tailored 1000 times better and wont make you look like you're trying too hard to "keep it real".

Thank you very much for the reply. It is very useful and hopefully will help me along my journey of finding the perfect jacket.

I cannot stress this enough - buying leather jackets online/proxy is a bad idea if you don't know your measurements or the garment's. As you can tell by SUFU's market, it is pretty difficult to resell these expensive cluthez. (If you live in NYC, I highly recommend making an appointment with A or RO about purchasing a leather jacket. Friendly staff, won't push you to buy a piece unless it fits just right.)

I'm saving up for my first leather jacket too, and I'm probably gonna go RO...that is, if I can't find that damn Bless coat in my size. I've given up on Julius, cause Raymond says it'd be way too small for me. :( And US prices kinda wack.

Good luck to you mang.

oh really. I kinda have my heart set on getting a julius leather jacket sometime in the near future. You're more skinny than me but is it length that is the problem for you? I think Julius makes the best looking leather jackets under 5k...

edit: I am 6'2 and have pretty long arms and midriff.. please tell me it will be ok

Yeah, I'm 6'2" as well. I have ridiculously long Kevin Garnett arms. I'm skinny though, so I would not be able to wear larger sizes. That's probably why I can't fit into Julius, because the garment and sleeve lengths are considerably smaller at my size (which is probably a 2, which would - even then - be a lil' boxy on me).

yeh i think the larger/largest sizes might fit me. I guess i will have to try on at some stage soon. The problem is the only store that stocks in ozzieland is on the other side of the country :(

would you say 32" arms from shoulder top to finger tip is too long?

yeh i think the larger/largest sizes might fit me. I guess i will have to try on at some stage soon. The problem is the only store that stocks in ozzieland is on the other side of the country :(

would you say 32" arms from shoulder top to finger tip is too long?

LOL too long??? For me?? Hell naw, nothing's too long for me.

my point is about this:

show me 1 (one, just one) picture of someone wearing a julius or rick owens jacket who is white (as in not asian), over the age of 29, and looks good. and is not rick owens, i mean a person in the every day.

i know that most people who would buy a $2000+ jacket from either brand have the money to not care, its just i am blow away by the rationalizations by 18 year olds in ohio!

neg rep me but at least i have an opinion that looks 4 years into the future.

This (very good looking) man is around your mythical age:

img1055ch4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this thread... not seriously looking for a new leather just yet, but was wondering what's out there as far as modern Rider's style jackets.

One of the previous posters in the thread noted that he ordered a Lost Worlds jacket but was disappointed with the fit (I'm assuming because it was more of a vintage fit). What I'd like to find is something that is a little more vintage inspired in styling, but fits a little more modern (i.e. longer torso, narrow shoulders, longer sleeves) Basically, it would be ideal if I found the RRL version of a Buco Rider's jacket.

how bad of a thing is faux leather thought to be in terms of fashion.

Pretty bad; unless you are concerned with the animal ala PETA or a vegan - in which case the actual garment is secondary. But pleather doesn't breath and isn't durable - no good.

If animal welfare is a concern, get a jacket made of american horsehide - they can't kill the animal for it's hide, it can only be harvested when the animal dies, so in terms of animal cruelty, there's really no problem. Also horsehide ages fantastically.

-Jake

Good post. There are some legitimate veggie leather jackets out there though. I have a very steezy vegan buddy who had one custom made. I'll hit him up for some info about it.

Thanks. I'm definitely curious about this; I've got a couple of vegan friends who might be interested. I only mention the us horsehide option as a sensible, though nuanced, way to utilize resources in a cruelty free way. If your friend has any info and pics of these veggie leather jackets, that would be great. My primary experience with veggie "leather" comes from vegan docs and the like - but perhaps jackets are much different from shoes.

-Jake

Good post. There are some legitimate veggie leather jackets out there though. I have a very steezy vegan buddy who had one custom made. I'll hit him up for some info about it.

I never could wrap my brain around veggie leather. If you're against animal exploitation, shouldn't you avoid perpetuating the use of animal hides as clothing? If it looks like the real thing, all the kids that think you're cool are going to go out and buy THE REAL THING. Purpose defeated.

nah, i'm down with leather. i'm just curious as to how much of a faux pas it is. but definitely, it won't breathe better. i'm looking for a really nice slim leather jacket too that i can wear for the next 3-4 years and wear it well (a daily one). i know that blackscissors makes some good ones but $200 is my budget. sort of a leather dior style bomber with collars. i guess i can't have my cake and eat it too =/

You aren't necessarily fucked here - check ebay for leather jackets; there are always really cool jackets up for less than $200, depending on your size. Do you want a new or distressed looking jacket?

-Jake

I cannot stress this enough - buying leather jackets online/proxy is a bad idea if you don't know your measurements or the garment's. As you can tell by SUFU's market, it is pretty difficult to resell these expensive cluthez. (If you live in NYC, I highly recommend making an appointment with A or RO about purchasing a leather jacket. Friendly staff, won't push you to buy a piece unless it fits just right.)

I'm saving up for my first leather jacket too, and I'm probably gonna go RO...that is, if I can't find that damn Bless coat in my size. I've given up on Julius, cause Raymond says it'd be way too small for me. :( And US prices kinda wack.

Good luck to you mang.

my size one is about 60cm from collar to hem

and i think each additional size up adds about a 1cm in length. idk how size 4's and 5's will work.