Superawkward

scoki

• 2 weeks later...

get a car so only people walking on the road to avoid people walking in front of them are in front of you

• 4 weeks later...

having photos of scantily dressed women pop up on my boss's iphone while reviewing an article (i had touched the screen in an attempt to scroll through the document we were viewing but it closed out the file instead and in the background were photo sets of nudie pics) ...come on!!?

that moment of dead silence, him fumbling with the screen and scrolling up to hide the photos, hurriedly trying to reopen the article. 

awkward as hell but so intense (wanted to say WTF out loud)

^ Think I lived in UK for too long, where people are pathologically polite about things. 

I remember complaining about my food at a restaurant once, and when I said I would like to speak to the manager, the rest of the restaurant became pin-drop silent all looking at the dude who was actually complaining about something. Didn't realise 'it just isn't done' in the UK, as my friends later informed me. 

It is not a matter of politeness but of having a food culture, which the UK lacks. I was in Canada and recently asked to have my wine changed because it was corked and people looked at me funny like this wasn't possible, eventually had to change it but maybe three people taste it before agreeing.

i wouldn't be confident enough in my palate to call out a corked wine but:

i returned a bottle of skunked ommegang at a belgian bar in philly

the bartender insisted (without tasting it) that i just didn't know what it is supposed to taste like.

when he finally did taste it, he relented

felt good man

walk on the road

I always walk on the road when I'm strolling through Chinatown or downtown. Too many folks.

I don't cook much, usually I eat out or take out to go home.

There's a spot I go to because they have the best mapo tofu in town, and the portion is huge so I split it into two for later the week. Go at least maybe once a week. Twice sometimes.

The manager there hooks it up with 10, than 20% off so each meal comes out to like $8 which split into two is $4.

Once he made a weird comment about how he saw me at jtown. Ignored. He comped me once. Which was nice. Than he made another weird comment about how I should stay and talk (cos I was making small talk with the cashier, and he was like, I didn't know you guys were such good friends...we aren't...even she looked at him like wtf).

I tell myself I won't go back but DMNIT the sauce is so good.

So I went back two weeks ago and he comped me again. Said I could just bring him drinks next time or something..errr

Went back the other day, and he comps me again, and makes a comment about how I am, if I am, the only friend he has that speaks English...sigh.

Why does it have to be so effin awkward sauce. Just lemme pay for my meal and go...

Also, quit my job cos I had a client ask me to go work for her.

So I still like to meet up with an old colleague for drinks or whatever just to chat and make nice every now and than...because a) I've socially shot myself in the foot the past two years or so so it would be nice to get more active now that I don't have a soul sucking job and B) he still works there so it's nice to know folks in that place to hook up / help with shiet.

So he is at a ballgame and I'm just finishing work, make plans to grab drinks, and he texts me something funny like me keeping him warm which I totally shrug off and ignore.

Than when he rolls in, he says he's not drunk and insists that we talked about getting to second base (wtf are we in, HS??) and so I tell him he's drunk. I don't wanna mess that shiet up, and he says ask me to spell something, test him or whatever cos he's not drunk. He passes the spelling test only because I have a very limited vocabulary (if you haven't caught on so far).

And than he says shiet that makes it superrrrrr awkward and I haven't texted him since.

I am so sad that that bridge, looks like it lit up and now gone.

Funny thing is that, he was like the type of friend that if I knew any hot blonde chicks (which I thought was his type) I would totally hook him up with.

Also, I have been riding uber more lately, and today my uber driver called me to let me know he's in the area so I approached a white Prius thinking its him. Driver hella rolled down and started talking to me but than my ear piece was saying something different.

Whoops.

Flagged down a non-uber. I was wondering why the license didn't match...

@whitney reading that post was more awkward than the content itself

:| sorry

tend to ramble..

but what about all that MSG?? (I denounced eating Chinese food so it's always awkward now with the fam and work..)

congrats w/ the new job. sounds like it's a better direction.

Too hooked to care but i tell myself there's none..pretty sure

Thx, leap of faith.

• 3 weeks later...

I was setting up for a Halloween party at my work last week, and one of the (adult) students stayed after class and was hitting on this girl  who is in the same program. 

I was dressed up like a really unsexy dog, climbing up on tables and dropping shit and and trying to hang cobwebs, and he started telling her this super intense story about how he used to be in a cult. They had this weird vibe like they were having this super private heart-to-heart and I was a few feet away flapping my dog tail and accidentally knocking my chair every few minutes. 

That maggots story reminds me of the time I first went over to a friends place back in high school. Walked into the kitchen only to see a raw steak on a plate with what appears to be a  fungus growing out of it. 

Edited by FutureFuture

I was setting up for a Halloween party at my work last week, and one of the (adult) students stayed after class and was hitting on this girl  who is in the same program. 

I was dressed up like a really unsexy dog, climbing up on tables and dropping shit and and trying to hang cobwebs, and he started telling her this super intense story about how he used to be in a cult. They had this weird vibe like they were having this super private heart-to-heart and I was a few feet away flapping my dog tail and accidentally knocking my chair every few minutes. 

"yeah babe i used to be in this cult... you wouldn't believe the shit i done"

was watching the gift at the cinema. so halfway the movie this guy with a white shirt walks in and starts standing on the side near the stairs. so i switched back to the movie and the whole time i saw a white spot in my peripheral vision. the guy just kept standing there till the end. ironically the whole movie was about a creep

was watching the gift at the cinema. so halfway the movie this guy with a white shirt walks in and starts standing on the side near the stairs. so i switched back to the movie and the whole time i saw a white spot in my peripheral vision. the guy just kept standing there till the end. ironically the whole movie was about a creep

i thought that movie was reaaaally gooood

also watched edgertons other really good movie (he co-wrote, brother directed) called the square. also really good.

i was trying to drop off a shirt i got for a...anyways, didn't feel right giving it to someone else + can't return (mostly was free) + i'm trying to clear space because either i'm moving or going to be traveling for a year (*crosses fingers for latter*).

maybe the code changed?

I was struggling to get the door open b/c i didn't want to leave it outside.

roommate ended up opening it for me.

it went like:

who are looking for?

oh.

what is your name?

oh.

so 

bye!

i thought that movie was reaaaally gooood

also watched edgertons other really good movie (he co-wrote, brother directed) called the square. also really good.

agreed. it could have lasted longer imo with the ending but still good. oh gordo

Meeting with this client and he was talking about being 62, retired on SS and needing more of that money to live the lifestyle. 

At the end of the meeting we shook hands, and shared a few more words about that life. He then reached out to try to shake my hand again but his hand was sort of in a fist, and I remember he's about that life, so, I reached out with my fist to reciprocate. But we just sort of grazed each other's knuckles. I think he turned around with a smirk kind of like "wtf". I said bye and walked away. 

every fist bump is awkward

what a terrible way to greet someone you like

please let me punch your fist with my fist to express my admiration

if a white person tries to fist bump me

i assume he (or she) is a germaphobe

go to meet fist bump

extend past their hand till wrists meet

pull peace sign

say 'snail'

now its superawkward

I've been getting the most interesting characters on uber lately.

This one I had today, tops the cake.

Before he picked me up (left hand turn) on his right side, there was a car going straight that was gonna smack into a car in the opp intersection turning into the same lane.

Anyways when I got in I made an offhand comment about it, thinking to break the ice so the ride wouldn't be so silent and awkward.

He didn't get it and so I was like okkkkkk we are gonna be silent from here on out.

Nope.

He started asking me how my day went (so he can really tell me how his went bc etiquette dictates I reciprocate).

He goes on to tell me how his day sucked cos xyz, he has no gf or friends cos he's new in the city...

Shows me his pills that the doc prescribes him because he thinks too much

How his gf and him broke up cos she wouldn't move here with him

Asks what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I'm doing after

Want to be friends

Do I have a bf

Want to go on a date

Give me his # and I call him after I'm done and he will pick me up

I'm like I dunnooooooo how long I will be when prompted

There were awkward silences on my part when he asks those Qs.

Key being plural. Usually after the first awkward silence, they can pick up a hint.

Luckily I have two numbers because he gave me his and made sure I call so he gets mine...

Ugh I'm such a pushover

Edited by whitney