men.style.com buyers guide fall 2008

Standard formula for brands such as Viridi-Anne, Julius, WJK, etc. when sold by boutiques in America is: Convert Japanese retail price to dollars then multiply by two.
I don't want to derail the thread, but this isn't quite how it goes. It is basically a mix of Japanese retail/wholesale system being completely opposite of anywhere else in the world, as well as huge customs/shipping fees. You know how people get pissed when they get charged customs on a $100 t-shirt? Imagine $5000+ of stuff being sent internationally by FedEx, a box full of a mix of materials and possibly countries of origin, with full retail values marked on all invoices.

is it me or every winter season since 2000 menstyle and their sub-brands always go on and on about peacoats? they're nice but are they just calling it over and over until they get it right?

also, if any of the people who write up these sorta one liners for their stores (ie. blackbird) read this, please STOP using "subtle" to describe every kind of leather. you're ruining the word. try "soft as a baby's bottom" but seriously.

I don't want to derail the thread, but this isn't quite how it goes. It is basically a mix of Japanese retail/wholesale system being completely opposite of anywhere else in the world, as well as huge customs/shipping fees. You know how people get pissed when they get charged customs on a $100 t-shirt? Imagine $5000+ of stuff being sent internationally by FedEx, a box full of a mix of materials and possibly countries of origin, with full retail values marked on all invoices.

I agree with Ruach. With a box full of items marked to full value, customs are gonna tax it. It's not like they can accept a bunch of Julius jackets et al marked as a "gift". If a retailer is going to make any profit they have to mark-up the price to some degree to offset the costs of buying the pieces, shipment from origin, and taxes/fees incurred at customs. Any business would do this.

Every man needs a corduroy suit.

I'd say I need A suit, long before I need a corduroy one.

I'd rather have a nice slim fitting grey two button than a corduroy one which two seasons from now will begin to look as outdated as anything Aresenio Hall wore on his show.

-Jake

Ruach is right. Virtually everything we carry is from Japanese designers and pricing is always a challenge and for certain items like that Julius jacket, the US customs is ridiculous. I think that is a reasonable price. Good pick-up.

I understand the methodology behind the price, just not the strategy.

I'm just saying, once it's all said and done... Japanese retail x2.

I understand the methodology behind the price, just not the strategy.

I'm just saying, once it's all said and done... Japanese retail x2.

Word. If Mr. Suburb wants to cop a 2X priced Japanese leather jacket, then great. But at the end of the day, I think the majority of US retailers selling Japanese niche labels are trying to exercise "exclusivity" rather than profitability. If it helps you sell common projects slip-ons and band of outsider shirts then more power to you.

I want the winter pants and blessing bag and so bad. The bergdorf boots look surprisingly good, as well. I want those tim hamilton jawnz to wear as pajama bottoms. Bet they'll hit the barneys wharehouse sale or will just end up at like 70% off. Not really feeling that whole 16th century french corsette shit going on, but at least if I tighten it up I could fit into jeans smaller than anybody on this fucking forum. sidneylo is goin DOWN