Nom De Guerre - Jay Allen

Jay Allen

Just an update on my progess towards becoming a "real" designer. I was walking around Soho yesteday, after making the 6 hour drive down from Maine, and walked into Nom De Guerre. Will, one of the owners, graciously agreed to take a look at my work. What was going to be a 5 minute show and tell turned into a 45 minute conversation. The upshot of this is that Nom De Guerre is going to carry some of my line starting in January. Believe me.....that meeting made the drive home last night much easier.

I had never seen their line in person and I've got to say it is amazing. I didn't get a chance to look look at the jeans but the sweatshirts and outerwear are insanely well made. All of their production is done in Japan.....and it shows. Their stuff is pricey but from a quality standpoint I've never seen anything like it.

Anyway....just keeping you guys in the loop. Thanks again for all the feed back.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. In the last few weeks there has been a lot of feedback on my work from this board. I have found it to be invaluable. As a one man company that doesn't have a development deal, or investor, I can't afford focus groups. You guys have been, and I hope continue to be, my "focus group". Thanks again!

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

good luck, Will's real cool peoples hope ya'll can do business

Its funny, when I saw your designs on another web site I was like, Damn this looks like stuff that would sell crazy to NDG's crowd, but looks like you knew that before me

anyways, hope things go good for you

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

If I'm reading your post correctly...... it appears that you don't like my work.icon_smile.gif I knew when I started doing this that most of my designs would evoke strong feelings one way or another.....good/bad, love/hate. The one one thing I didn't want was no response. I certainly respect the fact that which ever designs you've seen don't appeal to you. I would like to clear up a couple points though.

1. I don't use a bleach pen. All of my shirts are dyed (in my shop) with reactive dyes and then embellished with discharge or waterbased inks..... sometimes both.

2. I actually have several thousand fonts, and as hard as it might be for you to believe, I choose the fonts I do because I like them. They aren't very trendy, or elaborate, but then......neither am I. Like I've said before....I'm just a regular guy....working out of a small studio........ in a fish processing plant....... on the docks in Portland, Maine. I have no illusions about my work changing the fashion world. If people like my stuff because of the techniques I use....thats great. If they like the graphics or message that is gratifying. If they think everything about my shirts is lame....I can live with that. At the end of the day I'm still going to make what appeals to me.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

i really like most of your stuff. it's nice to see a "different" tee. the only thing though, is that a lot of designers really really really dislike copperplate. it's basically in the same class as comic sans or 'sand' as far as 'straight off the mac,' poorly designed typefaces. that's just my opinion, but i definately know a lot of designers who wouldn't touch copperplate with a 10 foot pole.

actually, looking at it again, it might not be copperplate. but it's too close for comfort.

Edited by werdtoyourmoms on Oct 23, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Good work and good luck bro! The shirts are def have there own cool style. Dont worry about the haters, some just post for the hell of it and to stir up some un wanted e-beef.

Good luck.....keep on keepin' on

Toronthoe your a hater simple as that every one of your 8 posts are crap

why are you coming down on everything and everyone?

feedback is one thing but your just bitter and no help to anyone.

I'm sure you have some snide remark to this but you can take

your nineteen year-old ass somewhere else.

I'm sure I am not alone on this.

Quote:

--- Original message by Pancho on Oct 24, 2005 10:32 AM

Why is calling a spade a spade, hating on something? All i'm doing is speaking the truth, Deal with it.

oh and at 19 I knew better not to confuse your with you're. How are you doing with that one at what, 26?

Not feeling this, except maybe one, but all those shirts are better then any shirt from NDG line. Does any of you people own one NDG shirt from Wills wall of fame? As far as quality NDG has a long way to go as well. Even the Ojas line that is more or less wearable are shity quality.

In any case good luck to you mate!

Quote:

--- Original message by Pancho on Oct 24, 2005 10:32 AM

the guy is just commenting on how ugly these shirts are, it's a free world and his opinion is just as valid as any others here. no matter how you slice it, these shirts are ass-ugly and it's surprising to see all you fashio-whores think this stuff is any good.

i've got a couple bags of hot trash out back to sell you tasteless chumps.