Is a motorcycle reall that bad?

Jkerman

I really am thinking about getting a Triumph Bonneville but my parents are like you gonna get killed. I mean I am only going to be to school and around town. There would be little traffic and I would rarely ride at night. I just want to know is it really as parents make it seem?

No matter how careful you are you will constantly need to watch out for everything around you even when traveling at low speeds.

Don't be surprised at all the soccer mom's, talking on cell phones in giant SUV's who will pull right in front of you. Not to mention all the other idiots that will pay no attention to you and constantly cut you off, push you out of your lane, ride on your tail, etc.

If your going to ride a Bonney then good for you!! I ride one (a scrambler actually). Stay in town on it until you are sure you can control it at speed. Bonney's are fast but you can get run over on the highway riding one because you sit upright on them and at 90 mph your torso is like a sail.

I say get one.

Don't get hurt though or I'll feel bad about encouraging you.

Well I am not afraid of getting hurt and where I live there are not many highways. Plus I dont plan on going 90MPH. Also what is it like getting your motorcycle licenses? Is it easier then getting your drivers license or easier?

motorcycles i believe are something everyone should enjoy.. but not when its in the wrong hands. i also believe that most motorcycle riders truly respect driving safe ... its usually another cars fault in a accidnet involving motorcycles.

here in california i believe you could take MSF courses to lower insurance rates but all you really have to do is show thaty ou know how to do figure 8's and stuff like that.

its generally rec. that you drive first for a year or so, so you'd know what drivers out there are like (asian moms, soccer moms, bad drivers, etc)

in CA if u take the course its like..150$ if your under 21. Complete it and theyll mail you the license! u dont even need to go to the dmv. but if your over 21 itll cost u 250$ =(

even if you're the safest rider in the world, you always have to worry about the other drivers on the road. you're parents are right on the danger factor. I know of 5 friend's friends around my area that have died due to a motorcycle accident in the past two years. one of them being yesterday. always be alert and watch out for everyone else on the road.. although some things just cannot be avoided.

I mean im not scarred of getting hurt. I always say the more you think about getting hurt the more likely you are going to get hurt. Its just I think sometimes parents overdue to scare the shit out of there kids. I mean im not the kind of guy who is going to get a crotchrocket and go 90 down the highway at 5 o'clock traffic. I really want to do it because its something Ive wanted to do for a while.

I mean im not scarred of getting hurt. I always say the more you think about getting hurt the more likely you are going to get hurt. Its just I think sometimes parents overdue to scare the shit out of there kids. I mean im not the kind of guy who is going to get a crotchrocket and go 90 down the highway at 5 o'clock traffic. I really want to do it because its something Ive wanted to do for a while.

parents are in the right place to do things like that. and on this topic, they're pretty much right. oh, and you really don't have to be going 90 mph to be hurt or killed.. it's as easy as someone braking late or someone pulling out of a driveway without seeing you coming.

parents are in the right place to do things like that. and on this topic, they're pretty much right. oh, and you really don't have to be going 90 mph to be hurt or killed.. it's as easy as someone braking late or someone pulling out of a driveway without seeing you coming.

exactly.

Was out riding this morning and I saw this woman ready to pull out of a restaurant a few hundred yards ahead of me. She was waiting for traffic in the lane traveling opposite me to clear so she could pull out and when it did she pulled right out in front of me! Locked up my front and back brakes and came to a stop about 3 feet from T-Bonen' her giant SUV.

Stupid bitch never even looked back.

^That is similar to what I experienced once. Well, I wasn't involved in the accident. I turned left across a moderately busy 30mph urban street in my truck. I saw a motorcycle off in the distance, and there was not even a question of me pulling in front of them. My friend was following me though. He doesn't have a very good track record driving. I thought to myself "man, I hope Tyler doesn't pull out in from of that motorcycle... Nah, he has to see it..." Then I hear the crunch of a car getting smashed. I pulled over, absolutely horrified of what I was about to see. Dude was fine. He hit between the front wheel and passenger door and flipped over, flying quite some distance. He was shaken up, but he had no broken bones or internal problems. I'm so grateful it didn't end up like it could have.

In conclusion, from my experience, your biggest problem on a motorcycle is stupid people, and all you can do is keep a vigilant eye out.

i was seriously considering getting a cheap kawasaki ninja and just driving around LA on that. But after seeing some disturbing wrecks and the sheer amount of asian women that drive in my area, I'm still on the fence about it.

gas is getting bad and will only get worse, but ive never not fallen off of/hit anything in my life so i'm not sure if its a risk im willing to take yet.

il probably get one when gas reaches $5 though. (4)

I've been riding for a couple of months. MSF is totally recommended. I took it and they really do teach you a lot. You have to shell out ~$190 or some (Texas), but you get discounts on insurance, waived the driving portion of my license test (had to take the written portion), and it makes you aware of all the danger around you.

Wear full gear too. At LEAST a FULL FACE helmet. I'd say full gear. Road rash is something I never want to experience.

For cheap starter bikes, a lot of people like Ninja 250/500's or Suzuki GS500's.

You'll definitely enjoy going to where ever you're headed on a motorcycle. You notice more about your environment, especially the smells.

One thing to remember about a motorcycle though, it's not if you'll go down, it's when you go down.

Enjoy it and let us know how it works out for you.

I'd get a Thruxton but that's just me.

Magicy, check Craigslist in your area. I'm sure you'll find a bike that you like. Old military style bikes are hard to come by and can be a mechanical nightmare.

i always think that the gov't should have a special lane on highway just for motorcycle, so it would be much safe, i am sure if there is enough motocyclist, there would be one (at least at certain time). Otherwise, i still think is pretty danger to ride, especially in tx.