germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

Ah - that's great...

I suggets you go get one of the free magazines that are laying around in most coffee shops - and ask the people for the hippest party tonight..it always changes - and there' s always a new trendy place...

If you want to relax for a few minutes - take a boot ride - they start right at the Reichstag - the weather is great for that..

Shopping fancy - Kudamm

Shopping alternative - Prenzlauer Berg / Kreuzberg ( you might run into people smoking dope in the middle of the day in a coffee shop or bar...get out of there before 12 pm.......)

Hang out in the bars around Oranienstrasse in Kreuzberg or the Simon-Dach-Strasse in Friedrichshain. Talk to the locals. Monday/Tuesdaynights are not the easiest nights to find a good party.

I posted some shopping info a while ago in another thread (crosspost-quote):

Mitte would be the obvious destination for superfuture people. The Hackescher Markt is busy with tourists but still pleasent with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. Check out Rosa-Luxemburgstrasse, Műnzstrasse, Alte Schonhauserstrasse and Mulakstrasse for the most interesting spots. Here are some that might be worth checking out:

Belleville (Rosa-Luxembourgstrasse 27) - a conceptstore selling clothes, magazines, books and music.

Eisdieler (Muntzstrasse) - this former ice parlour has been taken over by five independent Berlin desingers selling a combination of second-hand clothes and stuff done by independent Berlin designers

Andreas Murkudis (Munzstrasse 21) - next to Eisdieler, selling Kostas Murkudis, Dirk Schonenberger, Frank Leder, Pulver, Y-3, Margiela et al.

Apartmentstore (Memhardstrasse 8) - another concept store selling labels like Bernhard Willhelm, Surface 2 Air, Marc Jacobs and some Berlin-based designers like Kaviar Gauche and Macqua. Be on the lookout for social events for fashion die-hards at this location.

Villa Caprice (Dirckenstrasse) - a bar where everything you see is for sale.. (well, almost everything). Again, plenty of stuff by Berlin designers in the back.

Moving on to Prenzlauerberg.. for less cutting edge and more vintage/thrift shopping. Concentrate on Kastanienallee, Oderberger Strasse and Schoenhauser Allee for vintage shopping and weird stuff:

Freistil (Oderbergerstrasse 6) - London/Berlin-based designer stuff combined with vintage clothing. Interesting smells. :)

Skunk Funk Store (Kastanienallee) - Many (European) Streetwear-esque labels like Basque, Encore and the like.

Flea markets! The market in the Mauerpark (end of Oldenbergstrasse) is a definite must see. Retro furniture, clothing, vinyl and junk sold by Berliner leute. Very DDR. Loads of fun! It's on every sunday during the summer months. Ask the shop owners in the area if it's on yet because I'm not sure. If Mauerpark market is still closed, you can head towards Arkonaplatz. It's smaller, but open during the winter months as well.

Another option (not in that area) is the market at Boxhagener Platz in Friedrichshain. I don't think it gets any more DDR than this. The surrounding area is a bit less appealing (=less bars and shops), but it's open all winter as well.

Berlin probably has the best nightlife in ... the universe. ;) Clubs are dirty, underground and open until late. The ones that matter right now are Postbahnhof, Berghain (and its Panorama Bar), Watergate, RAW, Maria am Ostbahnhof (my favorite), Cassiopeia and the punk-oriented Supamolly.

• 3 months later...

My best friend and I are planning to go to Berlin for New Year's Eve. We need lots of info like:

-Accommodation- Is it better to stay in a cheap hostel or rent an apartment?

-Clubs- the best, the most secret, the most minimal techno....

-Restaurants/Cafes- cheap ones, but with good food

-Anything else!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm going to be in berlin from nov 15 thru -18 Sun ...if anyone knows of any good parties, art shows, happenings, mischief, going on those dates please let me know.

basically everything and anything interesting.

Cheers

The best way to find out what's going on is to pick up a Zitty or a Tip magazine. They are updated weekly, and have information on gallery openings, where djs are, and concerts, and so on...You can pick them up at any newstand.

For clubbing: It really depends on the night, and that is why you have to check those magazines. Some clubs are open only once a week or once every two weeks for special events. Besides the Berghaim/Panorama, which always has an impressive lineup of djs and is always crowded (though sat. is better than fri.), everything else is sort of mediocre unless they have a good night. Weekend has a great view of berlin since it is on the 15th floor. Generally, the nightlife is a little better in the summer since the clubs on the river (bar 25, ect) are open...I think they are closed for the year now, though.

For great shopping, just check out the guide superfuture has; it's fairly complete! oh! For a great coffee/cake break, go to Rochstrasse in mitte--there is a cute little cafe in there!

Have fun in my favorite city!

Oranienburger Strasse has some quite good bars and other erm... activities. Also, check out the shops/bars/restaurants to the north of Alexanderplatz.

My only regret about my time in Berlin is when my friends and I were too drunk to be allowed into Weekend; it was highly embarrassing.

• 8 months later...
Guest johnsinclair

Going to be there next week. What are some under the radar stores worth checking out? Also, any bars or restaurants. And any clubs or dj nights that are especially good? Thanks.

Go to Bar 25 it's great it's all outdoor. At some of the underground stations you can pic up a mag for like 3 euro's that tells you everything going on.

go to nidz for some cool gear and in the Mitte district they got wesc and a bunch of other shops also check out Nort for some cool kicks, this store is also in the Mitte district, get off at the Weinmeisterstrasse station and your right in the middle of Mitte with great shops and hit the Orienen Burger strasse for good outdoor eating. The city is super cheap to eat for Europe and because of the huge Turkish population, hit up the Doner spots there hella good, and if your on the run grab something from shops at many of the train stations and some whiskey or a pint of beer that you can drink on the trains. also Kreuzberg is like the Williamsberg of Berlin. i love that city, hope this info is useful!

make sure to go to tim's canadian deli .. great burgers but hadn't the time to try their smoked meat. going to try it next time i'm in berlin.

http://www.tims-winterfeldtplatz.de/

than you have to go to the turkish market at the maybachufer on tuesday and friday from 12 to 18:30

and the market at the winterfeldtplatz on wednesday 8-13 and saturday 8-16 (tim's is right across the street)

you have to try the original berlin currywurst at konoppkes which is located under the metro station eberswalder straße (u2)

on 26.07.08 you have to go to the panaroma bar where heathrob is playing. www.berghain.de

have fun in berlin

jan

• 3 weeks later...

Burg & Schild

http://www.burgundschild.com/

- Studio D'Artisan

- Atelier La Durance

- LVC

- Pace

- Red Wings

DC4

www.dc4.de

- Somet

- Atelier La Durance

Buttenheim Levis Store

Neue Schönhauser Str. 15

10179 Berlin

- LVC

Trüffelschwein

www.trueffelschweinberlin.com

Rosa-Luxemburg-Strasse 22

10178 Berlin

- Lee Gold

- Sugar Cane

- others

Acne Jeans

www.acnejeans.com

Münzstr. 23

10178 Berlin

- ;-) Acne

Lee Flagstore Berlin

www.lee.com

Alte Schönhauser Straße 38

10119 Berlin

- Lee

- Lee Gold

All within 2 minutes walking distance :D!

14oz.

Neue Schönhauser Strasse 13

10178 Berlin

Denim (and more, mainly not listed here):

- ALD

- 7 For All Mankind

- Blue Blood

- Denham

- Citizens Of Humanity

- Dondup

- Double M

- Earnest Sewn

- Gilded Age

- HTC

- G-Star

- Jean Shop

- Kohzo

- Kuyichi

- Levi's (all)

- Notifiy

- Nudie

- PRPS

- Wrangler

- Red Wing

- Dunderon

- PF Flyers

- Converse

- Alden

- Tricker's

- Clarks

- Blundstone

http://www.14oz-berlin.com/

(Just an add-on to Juan's post - incredible store and stock!)

• 2 months later...

Heya all,

I'm going to Berlin in a week or two and staying there for 3-4 days. I think I have things mostly covered up. I know what to see, where to go and eat, where to stay etc. But I heard there should be a lot of cool vintageshops in Berlin too, but I haven't really been able to find any info on those. Can any of you help me out here? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I was in the hurry when I opened the thread.

I would like to know what is the relationship of germans and especially berliners with foreign workers. How do they hire foreigners?

I would like to work in the retail and maybe some people could tell me the importance of the german language in this sector: do they hire bilingual people? Is fluent german enough?

Finally, I know Berlin is definitely a place to visit, but is it a place to live?

Thank you.