germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

restaurants

Trattoria Paparazzi: cheap and delicious (very plain decor)

http://www.10best.com/Berlin/Restaurants/Best_Restaurants/index.html?businessID=23345

Shiro i Shiro restaurant in the Lux 11 Hotel

http://www.lux-11.com/

Just next to Lux 11, three good shops :

- Ulf Haines (Ann Demeulemeester and Co)

- The Apartment (Raf Simons, Undercover, Visvim, Cheap Monday...) http://www.apartmentberlin.de

- Cash (Apartment discount store)

Clubs :

Panorama Bar/Berghain : one of the best clubs in the world... I mean it !

http://www.berghain.de/

Weekend : a cool club on the 13th floor of an office building on Alexanderplatz... great views !

http://www.week-end-berlin.de/

about 2 summers ago, went to berlin for a dirty weekend

theres this bar on the river bank pretty much in the centre, and they put a tonne of sand on the riverbank.

so picture the scene

great beer, sand, amazing weather

getting slowly but very merrily pissed

not sure if its the best thing for the winter or if its even still there. but it was good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm also moving to Berlin this month. I'll be there between Feb. 25 & May 25th at least. Will be living a few blocks south of Alexanderplatz.... what about you guys?

I'm going to learn some Deutsch at the Goethe Institut... then I will try to get a job somewhere :-)

Why are you all going?

About parties... I know of a lot of stuff going on over there.... there's a huge Techno scene, a good Jazz scene... and I'm sure Indie is big there also. I know mostly about the Techno stuff... since I DJ and produce that sort of music.

So what are you guys into? I might be able to provide some info ;)

• 3 weeks later...

for a serious partying u should definately check this club berghain (www.berghain.de) on saturday night, but dont come there before 3am since there isnt much happening before that time and be ready for a long crowd, its a electronic/techno club with mixed crowds, or check watergate club.

if u want to know what's goin on in the city, u can get a free magazine called 030, every single party is listed there

I'm going to Berlin in 2 weeks. I've checked the superfuture shoplist, but have no idea which stores are actually worth visiting. I'm still a student, so I'm probably not going to buy super expensive stuff (But recommend it to me anyway if it's a shop that one must have visited when one's in Berlin, or if you just think the shop is the shizznat).

Thanks in advance! (btw, I know there's another thread about Berlin, but that's more of a going-out thread, so I started a new one)

Check out a lot of shops on Ku'Damm (KufurstenDamm).

I was just at Harveys Berlin today on Ku"damm. One stop shop for Junya, Yohji, CdG, some Carpe, a couple of German based designers and some other stuff. Harvey the owner is a great guy.

I"m having a bit of a time here as well.... need to find someone carrying Carol Christian Poell and more Carpe :)

u should definately check:

- The Corner(Am gerdamenmarkt, französische Strasse 40); it's kinda Berlin answers to Colette in Paris,their product range from Alexander Mc.queen, Burberry prorsum,Ksubi, Marc Jacobs,Comme des Garcon, Balenciaga to cheap monday jeans. (www.thecornerberlin.de)

- Apartment (Memhardstrasse 8); for Number nine, Rick Owens, Raf Simons (www.apartmentberlin.de)

- Acne Jeans (Münzstrasse 23) : www.acnejeans.com

- Extra Fein( Kastanienalle 55): Wonhundred, april 77, hells bells,gram design, surface to air, etc (www.extrafein.com)

- F95 ( Frankfurter Alle 95-97): Filippa K, Surface to air, Wonhundred, April 77,dondup, worn by, unconditional, mads norgaar,patrizia pepe, etc (www.f95store.com)

- Peek and cloppenburg (Tauentzienstr. 19): it's a huge department store actually, but they have quite nice selection of clothes on the basement (ignore the other floor :-P), they sells Nudie Jeans, Paul and Joe, J.lindeberg, Filippa K, Evisu, Maharishi, Fred Perry,etc

all that area north west of alexander platz within a 15 minute at the most walking distance

there's the adidas original store, tons of concept nike freddy perry hugo boss etc stores

more specifically:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+39,+10178+Mitte,+Berlin,+Germany&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.945679,71.015625&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=52.525961,13.405681&spn=0.006554,0.024376&om=1

all the streets north from that google link have tons of goodies ( before you hit Torstrasse )

Neue Schonhauser Strasse ( fred perry etc ) continue unto Munzstrasse there's the Adidas concept store with American apparel Acne etc etc

Mulackstrasse has APC among other things

if you like design books etc check out Pro Qm it's at Almstadtstraße 48-50 ( adress on superfuture is outdated )

in regards to books you should also take a look at museum stores( the Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart mostly contemporary art ( Wahrol etc ) had the biggest selection I saw. If you go there check out the Sarah Wiener restaurant next door for a nice snack or meal ).

They have tons of crazy good deals.

I got some books marked down to 15 Euros from 60+ Euros

I just got back from Berlin tuesday and had the best time over there.

Things are so cheap when going out to party eat etc.

I wasn't there to do any clothes shopping so can't really tell you about that even if I did walk by all the stores ... but

I did do tons of book shopping and my carry-on luggage weighed a ton and a half.

also for the tourist tip, obviously get the 3 day pass for musems if you,re into that kind of thing, check out guggenheim if you like pointillism ( they have an expo right now ), HELMUT NEWTON FOUNDATION if you like photography, if you want to knock out all the major sight seeing in an afternoon you can either take the free berlin tour ( you tip the tour guide ) or full day tour for 12 euros or something from:

http://www.brewersberlintours.com/

Damn, that was very helpful jdat! Thank you very much! I don't know if I'm going to go sightseeing on my own a lot, because the school is organizing it and they already planned a lot of sightseeing. And now that you mention it, I DO want to buy some cool designerbooks (I've had an artistblock for more than 6 months!) tho, so thank you! Any books you recommend?

Damn, that was very helpful jdat! Thank you very much! I don't know if I'm going to go sightseeing on my own a lot, because the school is organizing it and they already planned a lot of sightseeing. And now that you mention it, I DO want to buy some cool designerbooks (I've had an artistblock for more than 6 months!) tho, so thank you! Any books you recommend?

well design is fairly vague.

What are you specifically interested in?

I could give you pointers but you need to tell me more :D

hehehee, I'm very interested in artbooks(the art of a certain artist, where he also explains his methods). Not too much into comercial stuff, or television/high tech/ car design etc.

Name some of your faforite books, and I'll check them out!

Oh, and something I definately want to have is how to make patterns, I would love to make my own clothes!

• 2 weeks later...

I cant remember the name of the shopping centre but there's one near the main station which is friggin huge! opposite zara/nike town? about that area.

anyway, they've got really cheap deals for their g-stars and nudie jeans....etc... great place to check out fer sure!!!

the adidas originals is around the local designers area which houses other brands like paul frank as well.

if anyone who knows what im talkin about and knows the names of the streets, it would be helpful to him.

oh ya, there's a thai/vietnamese shop nearby the adidas originals which makes some really good fusion food although menu's quite pathetic. anyway, be sure to go early as it is HELL POPULAR there! hard to get seats.

Mitte would be the obvious destination for superfuture people. The Hackescher Markt is busy with tourists but still pleasent with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. Check out Rosa-Luxemburgstrasse, Műnzstrasse, Alte Schonhauserstrasse and Mulakstrasse for the most interesting spots. Here are some that might be worth checking out:

Belleville (Rosa-Luxembourgstrasse 27) - a conceptstore selling clothes, magazines, books and music.

Eisdieler (Muntzstrasse) - this former ice parlour has been taken over by five independent Berlin desingers selling a combination of second-hand clothes and stuff done by independent Berlin designers

Andreas Murkudis (Munzstrasse 21) - next to Eisdieler, selling Kostas Murkudis, Dirk Schonenberger, Frank Leder, Pulver, Y-3, Margiela et al.

Apartmentstore (Memhardstrasse 8) - another concept store selling labels like Bernhard Willhelm, Surface 2 Air, Marc Jacobs and some Berlin-based designers like Kaviar Gauche and Macqua. Be on the lookout for social events for fashion die-hards at this location.

Villa Caprice (Dirckenstrasse) - a bar where everything you see is for sale.. (well, almost everything). Again, plenty of stuff by Berlin designers in the back.

Moving on to Prenzlauerberg.. for less cutting edge and more vintage/thrift shopping. Concentrate on Kastanienallee, Oderberger Strasse and Schoenhauser Allee for vintage shopping and weird stuff:

Freistil (Oderbergerstrasse 6) - London/Berlin-based designer stuff combined with vintage clothing. Interesting smells. :)

Skunk Funk Store (Kastanienallee) - Many (European) Streetwear-esque labels like Basque, Encore and the like.

Flea markets! The market in the Mauerpark (end of Oldenbergstrasse) is a definite must see. Retro furniture, clothing, vinyl and junk sold by Berliner leute. Very DDR. Loads of fun! It's on every sunday during the summer months. Ask the shop owners in the area if it's on yet because I'm not sure. If Mauerpark market is still closed, you can head towards Arkonaplatz. It's smaller, but open during the winter months as well.

Another option (not in that area) is the market at Boxhagener Platz in Friedrichshain. I don't think it gets any more DDR than this. The surrounding area is a bit less appealing (=less bars and shops), but it's open all winter as well.

Berlin probably has the best nightlife in ... the universe. ;) Clubs are dirty, underground and open until late. The ones that matter right now are Postbahnhof, Berghain (and its Panorama Bar), Watergate, RAW, Maria am Ostbahnhof (my favorite), Cassiopeia and the punk-oriented Supamolly.

Ich bin ein ost-Berliner!

Scheisse Tisswat! Why didn't you reply earlier ;__;,

I'm just back from a trip to Berlin, the city is HUGE and awesome! I wasn't able to visit most of the stores mentioned in this thread tho:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=23932

But I did check out a part of Ku'damm, which was very nice. Thanks for all the people who helped me out!

I stayed at the Sunflower hostel, which was just about 3 minutes away from the Berghain(AWESOME club, very dirty and decayed. And a lot of men kissing and making out in the toilets...). I also went to the Cassiopeia, it was a very nice/small comfy club, you can also hang out outside and in the skating/BMX-room. There was an MC-Battle, I didn't understand a word, but the beats were very nice!

I'm DEFINATELY planning on going back to this city in my own time!

• 1 month later...

Morning all, hope you can help a newbie out. Going to Berlin for the first time and want some recommendations.

-Shops

-Vintage

-Markets

-Clubs (anyone know of any berlin clubnight listing sites in English?)

-Bars

-restaurants/cafes

-must-do touristy stuff

basically everything and anything interesting.

Cheers

thanks Tisswat, yeah, took some good stuff from previous posts but there's always something new so anything current that's worth a look I'd love to hear. There are some good tourist online guides but it's difficult to find something a bit more opinion based as opposed to the generic 'go to this museum' stuff. It'd be nice to find some interesting exhibitions, perhaps a regularly updated guide in the style of the weekly timeout mag...Anyway, all suggestions welcome, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...