germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

Probably, Hetzenecker. I've never been there personally but I've heard very good things about the store. 

It's a travel luggage store but they supposedly have Rimowa suitcases for like ~30% off of German retail, which is insane. Pay cash = 10% discount. If you are a traveler, you can get tax refund back. 

From what I was told, it's about 50-60% off of US and Asian retail. 

Edited by herpsky

Will be visiting in late august. 

Already booked in for Boros, any other recommendations for galleries, especially smaller ones?

I see that Stattbad has closed, any other venues to keep an eye on for house/techno etc? Will be trying my luck at Berghain but am more keen for more local/lowkey spots. OHM, der visionaire, about blank etc. are on my list.

Also, figured I'd ask here rather than bump another thread: Is there really that little to see and do in Frankfurt? I had intended on spending about 3 or 4 days there, is this overkill? 

Edited by 034936

Will be visiting in late august. 

Already booked in for Boros, any other recommendations for galleries, especially smaller ones?

I see that Stattbad has closed, any other venues to keep an eye on for house/techno etc? Will be trying my luck at Berghain but am more keen for more local/lowkey spots. OHM, der visionaire, about blank etc. are on my list.

Also, figured I'd ask here rather than bump another thread: Is there really that little to see and do in Frankfurt? I had intended on spending about 3 or 4 days there, is this overkill? 

I think most sufuers would have NO trouble getting into Berghain. Most of the OGs here have been to Berghain. Just stick to the usual three rules: 1) don't show up when the line would be insane e.g. midnight on a Saturday; 2) wear black — preferably head to toe; 3) show up sober — get drinks inside but just stick with mate to be honest; i think this is one of the very few clubs you can enjoy totally sober.

I think Berghain is a pretty lifechanging experience. It's not like anything else I've been to. 

I went to a club that was converted from a swimming pool. That venue is super low key and has killer music. 

One suggestion I have: Go to hardwax record shop in kreutzberg and ask the dudes running the shop. There are huge stacks of flyers from all the clubs around Berlin. Just tell the guys what kind of music you are into and they'll tell you exactly which parties to check out. That was probably the single best thing I did. Checking the venues out on resident advisor was pretty helpful in getting to know the big name venus. Also, the hardwax staff speak perfect English so it'll be pretty easy. Don't forget to pick up some weird records and CDs while you are there. The selection is insane. 

I think the converted swimming pool is/was Stattbad?

Also, strange that Freecat recommends getting your berghain stamp at exactly that time, a few pages back.

I will be doing a lot of record shopping as it happens. Figured i'd have better luck asking on discogs, but if anyone has any tips on 2nd-hand record stores (or any good flea markets), lmk. Audio-in, and Platten Pedro have been recommended, on top of the usual hardwax, OYE, record loft, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think most sufuers would have NO trouble getting into Berghain. Most of the OGs here have been to Berghain. Just stick to the usual three rules: 1) don't show up when the line would be insane e.g. midnight on a Saturday; 2) wear black — preferably head to toe; 3) show up sober — get drinks inside but just stick with mate to be honest; i think this is one of the very few clubs you can enjoy totally sober.

I think Berghain is a pretty lifechanging experience. It's not like anything else I've been to. 

I went to a club that was converted from a swimming pool. That venue is super low key and has killer music. 

One suggestion I have: Go to hardwax record shop in kreutzberg and ask the dudes running the shop. There are huge stacks of flyers from all the clubs around Berlin. Just tell the guys what kind of music you are into and they'll tell you exactly which parties to check out. That was probably the single best thing I did. Checking the venues out on resident advisor was pretty helpful in getting to know the big name venus. Also, the hardwax staff speak perfect English so it'll be pretty easy. Don't forget to pick up some weird records and CDs while you are there. The selection is insane. 

RE: bergy's

Went a few times, actually went a couple times on early saturday night and got stamped at like 1 or 2am , so we could walk right in sunday afternoon when the line was past the food stands. Sunday afternoon/evening is often the best time and best dj's. Seeing marcel, dvs1, function, len faki closing will be a life changer. 

For the door, i just memorized, " wer sind zwei" which I think means "we are two" and had no second question or anything, waved in. We were two dudes, dressed in rick/silent/nike type stuff. Know whos playing just incase they ask, but if your dressed appropriately, dont act a fool, dont roll in a group, and look disenchanted your good.

://about blank is really good lowkey spot for good music. the door is a bit of a interview but shouldnt be a problem for sufus. 

Look for the galleries that participate in art week berlin, i went last year and it was amazing.

http://www.konradfischergalerie.de/start/ - check out this spot. Its in a block of buildings that every floor is a gallery. Lots of really interesting stuff. 

Edited by EG562

• 2 months later...

Don't want to turn this into the 'Berghain' thread, but wow. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that it is life-changing. Failed at 8am Sunday (no line), went back solo at 3:30 and spent 15 hours there. It really felt like another universe, and I can't imagine how you could create better conditions to experience techno.