germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

not sure, but if you buy at TXL after your arrival, you should be able to buy at the duty free shop?

anyway: If you got no table at Noma's in København, go for Amass and Black Axe Mangal

noma's moved the entire staff to mandarin oriental tokyo for like two months and won't even be open when i pull up.

Over late march for about a week, would be great to get some recommendations on some interesting bits to do, decent flea markets, vintage stores, places that specialize in old french and Japanese stuff, and just weird / off key things to do in general. I remember seeing images of an old abandoned observatory on top of a hill with an amazing view of Berlin, anyone know about it / anything similar? Would be much appreciated. Also, the last time I went I was Loftus Hall for Mano Le Tough's monthly party, was pretty amazing, any decent club recommendations (nothing too industrial) would be incredible, thanks.

Yo, how can I buy a lufthansa rimowa from the world shop and get a tax refund?

lol i bought a rimowa from Galeria Kaufhof at alexanderplatz but i forgot to get the tax refund.  apparently you can mail in the rebate too? you may wanna look into that instead of avoiding the hassle and stress of doing the refund and checking it in all at once

I remember seeing images of an old abandoned observatory on top of a hill with an amazing view of Berlin, anyone know about it / anything similar? 

teufelsberg?

lol i bought a rimowa from Galeria Kaufhof at alexanderplatz but i forgot to get the tax refund.  apparently you can mail in the rebate too? you may wanna look into that instead of avoiding the hassle and stress of doing the refund and checking it in all at once

teufelsberg?

was it a lot cheaper? which one did you get? metal?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bored interning in Prague so I'm heading to Berlin for the weekend with my girl. Plan to find a good farmers market and check out teufelsberg but that's all for now.

Any suggestions? Want to shop a bit but mainly explore the city and go to good bars/clubs at night. Neither of us speak any German but that doesn't seem like an issue. I'm going to browse through this thread for clothing sugfestions but I'm interested in most of what nobuyoshi posted. Any sales right now? Want to pick up a pair of mono docs and replace my birks

Andreas Murkudis

Solebox

Firmament

Voo Store

Hard wax

Hay

Five Elephant / The Barn / Bonanza

Wood Wood

Bikini Building

Archive (I forgot the name

That streetblock that has Aesop and the ramen place has a bunch of cool stuff - most of which i can't even recall the name

There's a little Japanese tea bar and next to it, there's a store that sells bless and other cool shit

Edited by herpsky

The birkenstock store is really shitty. Like, I thought Birks would be big but there's no one there and the selection is horrible

Just got back and had a blast.  Only got a small taste but I feel like I want to move here haha.  We didn't do a ton but I figured it would be impossible to squeeze much into a couple days and we slept in super late both days.

For shopping we went to Wood Wood and a few shops in the area so I could look at Ervell and stuff I can't afford right now. Didn't catch the name of that neighborhood but there were a lot of cool shops and cafes. I've never been in a Cos store and they were having 50% on a good selection of stuff.

Tried to catch Mustafas but we were both a couple of beers deep on an empty stomach so the line was too much and we left to get Currywurst. I wasn't a fan tbh.  Had an amazing breakfast at a small spot right by where we stayed and that + ice cream kept me full most of the day. 

Spent a good amount of time at Urban Spree during the day and hung out and looked at some art.  Cool pool, rock wall, skate park, galleries and lots of cool small little shops and bars in there.  Ended up in that area that night at went to a bar called Kptn A. Mueller that was great.  Had a really good crowd, cheap drinks and was laid back.  That neighborhood seemed to have a lot of cool stuff but somewhat touristy and I've never had so many random people try to sell to me on the street.

Awesome city though. One weekend wasn't enough but I plan to be back

It didn't seem worth it. 

Forgot to add the Bauhaus Archiv as well. It was really tiny but I thought it was amazing. 

Next time, hit up Boros Bunker. It's def. sufu worthy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ill be in berlin next thursday-tuesday for Berlin Art Week.

Does anyone have any good art events surrounding the art fair? 

Any sufu approved eats I should hit? I visited this time last year and didn't eat the greatest. Highlight was cocolo ramen. I could definitely use some suggestions. Staying in kruezberg.

Im also looking to drink some good german beer, craft or otherwise. Beergardens, breweries, cool locations, beer geek bars,  ect.

Looking at

-Bierkombinat Kreuzberg brewery

-Hopfenreich beer bar

-pratergarten
-klunker kranich

Retail goals:

Voo

XXX

Darklands

Firmament

Wood Wood

The apartment

Baerck

Butterflysoulfire

Any other good spots for good streetwear/sportswear? 

Music/party (9.17-9.21)

Looking for reccomendations for some good down and dirty techno nights, or fun venues.

Thursday  - maybe this party at ritter butzke , or smash tv at salon zur wilden renate. Resident advisor mentions a dress code?

Friday - tesor for tectonic showcase (pinch,shed, 2526) ,

Saturday - not sure...

sunday/monday - berghain . Based on running order, I assume marcell dettman would be on 16:00 on sunday? There wouldnt be much of a hassle getting in sunday afternoon correct?

Tourist stuff-

Bike tour

bauhaus archive

art berlin fair

If im missing any must see bars, shops, attractions, please recommend!

Edited by EG562

food

kreuzberg/ neukölln:

- 19gr (coffee)

- tante emma (for breakfast)

- the blue elephant

- the dudes kreuzberg (awesome pulled pork)

- the bird

- men men

- melbourne canteen

- heat & beat

- the place to be

mitte:

- clärchens ballhaus

- zeit für brot

- the barn

- kaffeerösterei

- mogg & melzer

- father carpenter

tourist stuff

- Sammlung Boros

- PLATOON Kunsthalle (maybe)

- take the bus line 100 from alex to zoologischer garten and the line 200 back to alex! city trip with the most buildings that are important in the centre!

stores

- andreas murkidis

- SOTO (if you visit firmament [what is no more a must])

andreas murkudis is definitely d.o.p.e. 

it's kind of out of the way so i'd hit it up if you are not totally pressed for time

the barn's beans are really good – i don't think their in-house coffee is good per se but the beans are very interesting. some i brought back i haven't found anything comparable in the US.

The block that has wood wood and adidas originals - there's a lot of stores that sell jawnz. there was an interesting stationery store that was run by some japanese guy. right next to it, there was a store that sold a bunch of jawnz – shit ton of stephan schneider and other minimalist non-goth brands. i bought a couple of things from there. there was also some sort of outlet store in the area that sold crazy ass jawnz for like nothing. the clothing store in the same alley as the little japanese cafe in mitte sells bless and cosmic wonder – it's a very interesting place. the street that has barbour and etc is a cool shopping strip. 

japanese food in berlin is lit. there's a kushiage place (far from mitt – it's like in the western part of the city, way beyond the zoo and etc) that was insanely good. probably some of the best japanese food i've had in like a year. also, ramen places in berlin are very, very good. 

all the sufu level 99 palladins including yours truly have been admitted to berghain. everyone wears black. be sober. go during off peak hours. be cool. drink maté. let the experience unfold. it's a trip.

if you are into electro, hardwax is dope. crazy ass music i've never even heard before. the SAs there are friendly and can advise you on the dopest parties in town. 

firmament is all right. they just have some acronym and a few pairs of nikes. shopping in copenhagen is much more interesting. streetwear is easier to find. wood wood flagship is the GOAT supreme. super is dope af. of course, you can't forget norse. you'll probably die when you go to norse – it's that epic. that skateshop a little up north from the bless apartment is very nice. lots of cool shit. 

kreuzberg is v interesting. it's looks run down and kind of non-sophisticated, very working class vibe. there are pockets of super cool guy stores. the coffee shop inside voo was pretty good, i remember. i think they sell koppi beans. 

FUCK I MISS BERLIN. 

i've been to most of the sufu approved goat cities but berlin is way up there.

i love tokyo but the grimy, dirty, underground vibe of berlin is something else. 

i really liked how the city is young. very few rude people. everyone talks about the future and how they should improve the city. forward thinking the US lacks. 

enjoy it before it gets destroyed by generic #wypipo

Edited by herpsky

• 4 weeks later...

Berlin scene report:

Retail:

Darklands was amazing. The presentation for BBS was impeccable, and the SA's were on some level12 Archmage wizard shit. They literally floated towards me. Pounding techno made me feel at home. Only purchase was from the outlet next door which was a good retail addition for the -1 entry level palladins looking to level up.

Oukan ; great store in a random area, lots of Japanese avant garde, mixed with accessible brands only found in EU. Picked up a protective wizard cloak from nostra santisma, and browsed they're many offerings. Almost too much product, but a great range for any price point. Some julius, some issey miyake, all the way to silent and some affordable elevated basic brands ( first aid for the injured) . 10/10 would kop again.

Firmament ; typical techwear / alpha street gear. Good presentation, but nothing special. Checks the hype box twice.

XXX store moved, or no longer exists. Spent a while trying to find it again, knocked on old door, someone lives there now. 

Voo was good, nothing amazing this time around. Lots of the same brands you see elsewhere, but still a great one stop shop. Didn't kop anything, was planning on grabbing a bunch of Mad et len scent, as its impossible to find in US, but they have about 1/4 of the range as last fw season. 

Pletzinger - really interesting one off custom sport jersey '92 rave gear. Not stuff i would wear, but super fun and you could easily recreate a wolfgang tilmans rave photo with this stuff. Cool shop, the owner/designer is a nice guy to chat up. Right by the Boros collection. 

Party:

Ritter butzke. Went on a thursday, seemed really young and fairly generic hook up spot. 3/10 would Avoid.

Tresor; showed up 6am Friday for tectonic showcase. Spent a few hours upstairs, and it was dead. decided to leave and then stumbled into the main area downstairs. Incredibly intense banging techno from 2526. So good. Great space, and glad we found the main area.

Berghain; Went early saturday night to get stamped. Ended up staying for 9 hours, had some good fun. Norman nodge to open was a cool set, then things got hazy. Francois X, and substance downstairs. Pannabar - dj sprinkles, but mostly downstairs. Went home to sleep a few hours and shower and a shnitzel, and came back sunday around 6pm to close it out, right in time for marcell dettman to come on. Caught a great set from him, len faki, discodromo, black madonna, and the highlight ; closing set from function in pannabar. This was easily the best set of music ive ever witnessed. Major journey, sticking around for the entire 9hr set was a real treat. Riding bikes home after is not recommended. 

Food: Cocolo ramen and kimchee princess. Didnt eat alot this time around, but cocolo is always good. 

John muir bar in xberg for some good craft cocktails.

Art: it was artweek and ABC berlin fair was a great experience. Cool venue, and lots of fun new challenging work on display. Enjoyed the josh reames paintings.

Boros collection - easy highlight. They allowed open accesses during artweek, and photography. Must visit 10/10.

We rented bikes and barley used ubahn. Great way to get around, pretty much everythings accessible by bike. 

Would do anything to live there for a year, but I can see how quickly the lifestyle takes its toll. Seems like rents skyrocketing and the job market is weak with the major influx of creative expats. 

Edited by EG562

• 3 months later...

goin to berlin for 4 days the end of feb. 2 friends r playing berghain/panorama so gonna tag along. was told to find a place near hardwax to stay. my number 1 most important question is, where can i get some good coffee around there? thanks! ( sry if answered already)

goin to berlin for 4 days the end of feb. 2 friends r playing berghain/panorama so gonna tag along. was told to find a place near hardwax to stay. my number 1 most important question is, where can i get some good coffee around there? thanks! ( sry if answered already)

kreuzberg dope. the cafe in voo serves koppi. father and carpenter kinda sucks. cool atmosphere tho

kreuzberg dope. the cafe in voo serves koppi. father and carpenter kinda sucks. cool atmosphere tho

ill check them out for sure. looking to get a couple bags to bring back. Búðin in my neighborhood ( greenpoint brooklyn) serves koppi, but maybe they have some different stuff at voo.