germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

Was in Berlin again for the weekend and, having done the regular sightseeing a bunch of times, did something new for a change: Berliner Unterwelten. It takes you through the bunkers with a tour guide, and depending on which tour you do the guide tells you about the theme of the tour, which ranges from World War 2 and the cold war to the Berlin wall. It was really cool, super informative and interesting, and only runs you 10 euros for 2 hours. I myself did the Berlin Wall themed tour (Tour M), which was brilliant. Next time I'll definitely try to join another one. My friend from Berlin shared the same opinion as me and found it very informative and fun. Tours are also offered in both German and English. 

http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html

• 1 month later...

^ check time out, resident advisor, ex berliner, zitty berlin...

Oh gg and my California weather. Is it going to be snowing/raining too? How bad can things get?

well last January it started snowing and there was melted snow on the side of the road for 3 months. we had a week with -10 the whole week i think. it's not that bad if you wear proper clothes

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my girlfriend are going to Berlin from Feb 7th - Feb 9th. Could anyone recommend some restaurants to go to?(I'm on a student budget) I'm planning on booking ahead, so we won't spend any time looking for good places to eat. Other recommendations are welcomed as well. What's the best kebab, burger, sandwich etc! I'm staying in Mitte.

Sunday afternoon is super random. I have seen steezy people being declined and goofs accepted.

I would say the best is to go between 23.30 and 2.00 on saturday night, get your stamp, have a quick beer, then either stay or leave and do something else, then come back at the exact time you wanted to go.

is it that difficult to get into berghain in the sense it warrants a super early arrival? i'm flying into paris on the 31st and was thinking of taking a flight out the same night to berlin only to catch the berghain leg of the CTM festival. issue is the 'official time' that the set i'm looking to see starts at 23:00 -- which is the same time of my arrival into the city. 

i'm not opposed to being fashionably late but will it be unlikely that i get in at that point? also noticed that i can't purchase tickets in advance and would have to get it at the door but not sure if it's due to the specific event or if this is just normal berghain policy.

Me and my girlfriend are going to Berlin from Feb 7th - Feb 9th. Could anyone recommend some restaurants to go to?(I'm on a student budget) I'm planning on booking ahead, so we won't spend any time looking for good places to eat. Other recommendations are welcomed as well. What's the best kebab, burger, sandwich etc! I'm staying in Mitte.

Yumcha Heroes is a great restaurant, if you like dim sum and stuff like that.

is it that difficult to get into berghain in the sense it warrants a super early arrival? i'm flying into paris on the 31st and was thinking of taking a flight out the same night to berlin only to catch the berghain leg of the CTM festival. issue is the 'official time' that the set i'm looking to see starts at 23:00 -- which is the same time of my arrival into the city. 

i'm not opposed to being fashionably late but will it be unlikely that i get in at that point? also noticed that i can't purchase tickets in advance and would have to get it at the door but not sure if it's due to the specific event or if this is just normal berghain policy.

I was wondering the same thing about the tickets. 

Instead of "unlikely" it'd say it's a bit less likely but apart from people who obviously don't belong in there, they don't really refuse that many people. if you look like you fit in then you'll be just fine. tips include wearing dark colors, growing a beard, having apparent tattoos/piercings, looking sober, speaking german...

I really like "King of Falafel" (Graefestraße 9), "Gel Gör" (turkish kofte) on Kottbusser Dam 80, "Sahara" (vegetarian arabian food) on Reuterstr. 56, for pizzas "+39" (Möckernstr. 73) and the "Markthalle" Market on Eisenbahnstraße 42 as well. 

This has some good recommendations as well: http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2010/10/best-cheap-eats-berlin/

Edited by freecat

Best to go to Mustafa's during off peak times, like mid afternoon. We went around 5pm, the queue was about 10 people deep and had to wait about 15 minutes. We left around 5:45pm after having eaten and by then the queue was getting big. The best kebab I've ever had, but I don't think I'd queue or wait any longer than half an hour for one!

^ true story. My friend lives around the corner so basically anytime we head towards the subway we pass it, and as long as you avoid the rush hour that starts between around 12 and then between 5 and 6 in the afternoon, you're good. Best we had was when there was only 1 person in front of us and Mustafa himself was making them, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

going to berlin for an internship on the 29th, can anyone recommend the best way to find a flat, need a sub let for maybe 2 months? I'm staying at a guest house for about a week and should have that time to look for a room, I hear it's best to look at listings in the paper or whatever, anyone have any neighborhood recommendations that's cool to be in? 

Join also the different groups like "wohnungsmarkt" "flatsharing" at facebook. But wg-gesucht should be a good site, to find something, if you are willing to spend some money. (That means over 450-500 € a month, because lots of the young people dont want to spend so much)