germany :: berlin :: general

sufu1

Don't know about Germany specifically, but in North America work visas are exceedingly difficult to get. I'm going to guess that for most of Europe this will be the case.

Student visa would probably be the easiest route. If you're done with college, then perhaps grad school in Berlin?

my girlfriend is studying abroad in berlin next october throughout the year. I've been told that things are pretty strict there. The scholarship she got includes a pretty generous stipend for living because I'm pretty sure foreigners are strictly prohibited from getting jobs. Her best bet would be to work off the books as an au pair or something. Don;t you DJ REd? Maybe get a job off the books doing bar back work in a club thats geared towards your music and try and get a spot. Theres thousands of restaurent workers in the US working off the books who dont speak a word of english, maybe its the same in Germany.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am going to Berlin from 27th June - 30th June. 1st time to Easter Europe... Is 4 days enough. Look thru some travel books and websites, the city doesn't seem exciting. Any recomendations of museums, art gallery, shopping and cool places to hang out ? HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should go to Prague from Berlin ? No ?

Edited by fengshuinista on Jun 10, 2006 at 05:52 AM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys - heading to Berlin in Septmeber for a 5 day shopping/clubbing feast for my birthday..

thinking of staying in either of these two hotels:

http://www.kudamm101.com

http://www.esplanade.de

Anyone stayed in either of these? Are they as good as they look?!

I have been to Berlin before but it was a while ago so any advice as to which of these hotels has the best location for shopping or getting to/from clubs would be appreciated...

Cheers for the advice - I assumed that the underground system would take care of any kind of traveling to/from either of these hotels without too much trouble... I'm going with the g/f so wanted to show her the Kufurstendamm etc as well as spending time in Mitte...

Any hotel recommendations then? Or at least areas to stay?

Thanks

Stayed at Kudamm101 last year for a few nights. Would recommend it for the rooms (if you like modern functional design) and breakfast penthouse (nice start to the day).

Not the liveliest area, sure, but it's still central Berlin and not a long way home wherever you happen to head out...

Stayed at Kudamm101 last year for a few nights. Would recommend it for the rooms (if you like modern functional design) and breakfast penthouse (nice start to the day).

Not the liveliest area, sure, but it's still central Berlin and not a long way home wherever you happen to head out...

Cheers - i reckon i might go for it... only £250 for five nights including flights :)

Stayed in somewhere miles out of the way when i went last time and it was still cheap getting back in a cab after the club or even on the underground depending what time we head home...

you'll have fun no matter what..

.but it's ----not----- central at all (don't let anyone fool you).... all the best clubs are in friedrichshain, which is about 45 min away by the fastest train... same with taxi. there are cheaper better hotels in the east part of town imo.

berlin is about 8 times the size of paris area wise and 4 x the size of london. it's really spread out. i would advise against staying in kudamm! it's not even really near most of the tourist sights!

ah, come on, my memory can't be that bad - Kudamm is central (if Berlin is a cluster of loosley spread areas, it's within the cluster). I remember bussing and walking to a few places...

But I completely agree it's not an area for drinks/clubs/trendy stores. So yes, go East for that.

thanks guys

problem i am having is that a combined flight/hotel package is significantly cheaper than booking it separately (even with budget airlines) so am limited to the hotels that are on offer for the dates i am travelling... (13th Sept - 18th Sept from liverpool/manchester)

there is only a small list of hotels available (that i can afford) and most are miles out of any kind of town! Any offers anyone has seen for hotels in Mitte would be appreciated..

I stayed at Lux11. Excellent location for clubbing and shopping ('Apartment' is just across the street) + very good value for money + nice restaurant downstairs.

Don't miss Berghain/Panorama Bar. Awesome! One of the best clubs in the world.

• 1 month later...

Heading to Berlin on 13th September until 18th...

Got our clubs pretty much planned - Weekend on Firday for Dirt Crew Recordings night and on Sat, Jeff Mills at Panorama Bar/Berghain

Any recommendations for bars to head to before? Kind of housey/electro warm up vibe if possible.. or any cool, non-dressy places...

Was gonna check out Maria and Rio as alternative clubs but cannot understand German to work out music policies from their sites so any German speakers are welcome to translate :) ...

Cheers

Start off by hanging around in Mitte and exploring. I usually just pick out a few random places and try to talk to the locals and ask them for advice. There are too many bars to mention really.. I like to stay away from the 'designer bars' and concentrate on the smaller neighborhood bars. Somehow every bar in Berlin is cool in its own way.

• 2 months later...

So we are flying to Berlin (23 to 27 december '06). Nice hotel in a nice part of town (mitte). Only dining seems to be a bit of a problem. Any tips? Especially looking for the not very known but "must visit" places.

Tips on shopping/night life/art etc. are welcome too.

Help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Martijn

in mitte, i enjoyed

cookie's (continental - also a dance club, separate from the dining area)

monsieur vuong on alte schönhauser str. (vietnamese)

i'm not a fan of traditional german food, but was taken to gambrinus, also in mitte on linienstrasse, for the full experience. . . lovely beer and filling version what seemed to be "mac & cheese" to this ignorant american.

for shopping. . .

stay on oranienburgerstrasse and rosenthalerstrasse (both in mitte) for the smaller boutiques and "hard to find" goods. . . and kastanienalle (prenzl-berg) and bergmanstrasse (kreuzberg) for vintage

for art. . .

one of my favorite spaces in the city. .. kunsthaus tacheles (mitte, oraniengburgerstr.) - a very old building in east berlin that survived the war, interesting half-destroyed structure, and later overtaken by artists. . . there is art being made everywhere, graffitti, sculptures strewn in the overgrown lot outside. . . you'll find loads of art galleries in the surrounding neighborhood.

enjoy! (i adore berlin)

Praeter in Kastanienalle is one of the few german restaurants in Berlin... It's very good and not very expensive. You can get by with €15-20. 95% of the restaurants are italian, turkish or asian, and very few are expensive at all... There is a small neighbourhood, I can't remember the name, the station is Frankfurter Tor, it's in the end of Warschauer Strasse, I think, and you have lot's of restaurants there.

Also in Mitte, you can try the Weinereis, where you just pay €1 for the glass and drink all you can, and then you leave the money you think it was worth for what you drank and ate. It can get a little crowded though, so try to go early.

Hackesher Markt is another great place to eat, it's near Mitte, between Oranienburgerstr and Alexanderplatze, I think (I was drank already when I went there). It's very fashionable and trendy. It's near the Museum's Island.

And try to go to tacheles by night to see the prostitutes... They're so... tipic! and beautiful!

Remember to go to a disco called Maria am Hostbanhoff! Incredible!

I love Berlin! It's got to be the most incredible city in Europe, perhaps the world.

friedrichshain

it's the name of the part I couldn't remember that I love...

Lots of restaurants, small shops, cafes and bars...

Remember also to go to Warschauerstrasse, the Avenue that goes all the way to Moscow, and try the Cafe Moscow and the modernist cinema in front. You can have lot's of restaurants there too. There's a nice little sushi bar with a poster of a naked guy with a hardon running on a beach... weird! But you can see more normal stuff. Not that the rest of the city could be called normal.