Guys Shopping Together

In the past decade or so society's (at least the US's) perceptions and practices regarding men's fashion have changed. Men have been buying a higher and highter percentage of men's clothes (meaning more men shop for themselves) and the percentage of men's clothes sold (as a percentage of men's + women's clothes sold) is getting higher. Things that used to be considered by mainstream society to be gay such as wearing pink or purple and now considered normal. These statements are nothing insightful and I am sure that most people (as well as the media) share these observations.

However, there still are significant differences between men's fashion practices and women's fashion practices. The percentage of men shopping alone v. men shopping together is still a lot lower than women shopping alone v. women shopping together. For many women shopping is considered a social activity.

That being said I was wondering what you guys think about men shopping together.

Do any of you guys (sorry girls, but feel free to contribute) go shopping with male friends? If you don't would you like to? Do you think that it will become mainstream? Also feel free to mentions things like you attitudes/practices regarding talking about fashion with other men (in real life) and attitudes/practices regarding sharing clothes between men (like women do).

Edited by 134 on Oct 18, 2005 at 02:37 PM

I go shopping with friends for sure. But I do more shopping alone. I guess it's much easier to go at your own pace.

I don't think it will become the same kind of shopping most women do however. I get bored in stores where I can't find anything, and I don't find it amusing watching my friends try on clothes.

Funny, there are so many guys who go shopping, and as soon as they get in the store they are completely confused and don't know what to do. They usually just look around until someone who works there offers to help; but when asked, they don't really know what they want. " I just need some new clothes".

A question: Do you ever go shopping without a purpose? Personally I almost always have something I'm looking for, moreover having everything planned before hand. I don't think I ever just walked around and then just bought something.

yea i called up my friends 2day an said ... sorry guys im talkin some time alone to go shopping you know... its just something men dont 2gether

icon_smile_sleepy.gif

on a serious note... dnt really go out to shop... i go out end up lookin in shops an buyin shit

Edited by witts on Oct 18, 2005 at 03:55 PM

I go shopping with my OG infrequently but I also view it as more of a social thing that takes up the whole day. Most of my friends don't know San Francisco (and clothing in general) for shit so I'll take them to all types of stores and fun places. I find that I don't really buy anything on impulse but I'll have a good look at it, do some research when I get home to see if I like some other stuff, then go back to the city by myself to buy specific items.

I think men are much more nerdy or technical at shopping than women are.

Edited by super on Oct 18, 2005 at 05:11 PM

theres a select few guys i go shopping or would go with, besides them i go alone or with my girlfriend/ her sister.

sometimes i go out lookign for something in particular, sometimes i go out just wanting more clothes, and sometimes i just go to look at stuff and end up liking something.

I don't know many guys who have anywhere near my interest in clothes so it doesn't really come up much.

I have gone shopping a few times with my brother, and one time with one of my best friends but his wife was with us so I don't know if that counts. She made some pretty funny comments, I will say that.

I usually prefer to go alone, although the right woman really can make the whole experience more interesting, especially if you drink and shop icon_smile_wink.gif

Sometimes I go looking for a specific item, sometimes buy things on impulse, often go into stores just to see what's new (which often has led to impulse buying >_<)

ask a cassowary

Shopping alone gets my vote. And I'm content in thinking it'll never change.

Plus:

I wouldn't ever 'take' a guy shopping with me. If we were hanging out

or whatever sure, but I'd never say "Hey man, let's hit up the stores."

Different sort of mindset between the guys n' the gals. Totally different.

I can't shop with other people because they'd give me crap for buying jeans that cost over $60, shoes over $100, and shirts over $40. I play window shopper when I go shopping with people, and I'll buy the things I like when I'm alone, hehe.

Most dudes are totally clueless when shopping.

My interest in shopping far exceeds theirs, so if/ when we go shopping their al like 'woah, this is some cool stuf, but why does it cost so much?!?'

I usually only go shopping with myself or my girlfriend, but I don't need anyones approval to buy what I want. I feel it's the opposite with women, that they need someone there to tell them ' teah that looks good, or naah your ass is too big'

I pretty much only go shopping by myself unless it's to take my girlfriend who has little to no fashion sense and give her suggestions on what to wear. Every chick/guy i know in this tiny college town have no idea that clothing exists outside of the local mall's hollister and wal-mart.

Quote:

I can't shop with other people because they'd give me crap for buying jeans that cost over $60, shoes over $100, and shirts over $40. I play window shopper when I go shopping with people, and I'll buy the things I like when I'm alone, hehe.

--- Original message by PG2G on Oct 18, 2005 07:48 PM

LOL! Same here...

Quote:

--- Original message by PG2G on Oct 18, 2005 07:48 PM

QFT!!!

This is exactly why I never shop with friends in the shops I want to go to.

Well.. it would make no sense to invite my buddies to go shopping with me, because they would all be making jokes about how a white button down shirt could possibly cost 300$, they could just hit up a child in the third world and get him/her to do it for 3$... I don't even care to explain it to them..

So when i'm just in the mood for some clothes, but don't know what.. i'll bring a girlfriend that has much knowledge about fashion.. and like tangerine said, one can stop and have a drink and keep shopping afterwards with a girl.

If i know what to buy, i'll just go by myself... and that is probably what i prefer the most..

4 days ago or something I went with a friend shopping. We went to a store where he'd never been before and he was looking at a shirt he liked. Then he saw the price and was like "200$, what the fuck!" I just suggested we got out, I didn't feel like buying anything there, it would make me feel uncomfortable buying something that he wouldn't be able to afford plus him giving me shit.

I couple of months ago i bought a 135$ t-shirt and the friend i was shopping with basically took me for a retard.

Since all of my friends don't have the money to put that kind of money into clothes i prefer go shopping on my own. If you have a friend who's at the same "level" as yourself and like the same kind of clothes as you then thats definetely ideal. It just gets too borring shopping alone even though you are going to all the shops you like.

Shopping with women should be even better i think. It's in the womens eyes you have to look good, unless you are gay that is, so having their opinion should be relevant. Of course you can go shopping without women no problem.