Tokyo nightlife

superglam

too bad you're not getting more respones... I'm not in the know but if you are bored, you can always check Lexington in Roppongi. Its cheesy, but if you're a baller you can pull models and they will know what's up. If not on the weekends its easy to meet cute Japanese chicks there.

No. The incident was several years ago. Basically a bunch of US Marines from Yokosuka Chou got really drunk and torn down the entire place and Harlem had to close down for several months. And yes, you aren't allowed in Harlem as a foreigner without a Japanese accompanying you. This is actually good however, since the majority of the people that go there are really into hip-hop and it gives it a good vibe, without the sketchy foreigner "looking to hook-up" vibe of Roppongi. Hands down Harlem is still the best club for hip-hop in Tokyo. I believe DJ Masterkey DJ Hazime still have residency there. I don't recommend Pure at all, although its all you can drink. The Shibuya club is a really small and all Top 40 garbage. Mostly Japanese girls looking to hook-up with foreign guys and vise-versa. But if you're into that, then by all means. I recommend Womb, Air, Club Asia, Nuevos as well.

Where are the best underground hip hop / broken beat clubs? I'm gonna be staying in Roppongi from 15th November, but I can still change where I'm staying. I'd preferably like to stay at a hotel in the same area as the best underground club spots. I'm beginning to get the impression that Roppongi is just full of mainstream cheesy clubs for tourists... that's not what I'm looking for, so I might have to change my location depending on what advice I get from this message board.

Edited by j zombie on Nov 9, 2005 at 06:49 PM

Wow. Broken beat. I love group like Bugz in the Attic, etc. But here in Tokyo, there isn't a scene for that (that I know of). Underground hip-hop:

Club Nuts - Shibuya

Bed - Ikebukuro

Ruins 23 - Shinjuku

Club Citta - Kawasaki

Matrix - Yokohama

Logos - Yokohama

Club Asia and Nuevos in Shibuya occassionally host home-grown acts as well, but not as regularly on Friday/Saturday nights.

These clubs regularly have underground DJ battles and dance crew battles. As well as home grown acts, groups that perform regularly.

Roppongi does suck. If I didn't have to work here, I'd live in Naka-Meguro/Daikanyama/Omotesando. The clubs are really cheesy, especially Lexington Queen and Gas Panic and bars like Muse and Heartland. Bleh~... Only mid-life crisis foreigners and Christmas-cake women frequent those areas.

But don't worry, Roppongi is nicely centered in the middle of everything, so you won't have to commute far. But I'd recommend you head to Yokohama if you have the chance!

Wow. Broken beat. I love group like Bugz in the Attic, etc. But here in Tokyo, there isn't a scene for that (that I know of). Underground hip-hop:

Club Nuts - Shibuya

Bed - Ikebukuro

Ruins 23 - Shinjuku

Club Citta - Kawasaki

Matrix - Yokohama

Logos - Yokohama

Club Asia and Nuevos in Shibuya occassionally host home-grown acts as well, but not as regularly on Friday/Saturday nights.

These clubs regularly have underground DJ battles and dance crew battles. As well as home grown acts, groups that perform regularly.

Roppongi does suck. If I didn't have to work here, I'd live in Naka-Meguro/Daikanyama/Omotesando. The clubs are really cheesy, especially Lexington Queen and Gas Panic and bars like Muse and Heartland. Bleh~... Only mid-life crisis foreigners and Christmas-cake women frequent those areas.

But don't worry, Roppongi is nicely centered in the middle of everything, so you won't have to commute far. But I'd recommend you head to Yokohama if you have the chance!