Seattle Meetup (Pt. II)

sidneylo

Most of them have been mentioned...lets see. Jack Straw is probably going to be the closest to SuFu tastes (Dries Van Noten, CDG, Engineered Garments, Junya), Blackbird in Ballard (Rick Owens, Siki Im, Geller, A.P.C., Wing + Horns, Filson), Red Light Vintage on broadway has some decent stuff if you pick through (I have a Dior tie, and I've seen vintage YSL, Lanvin and other labels as well), Barney's, Nordstrom, still don't know anywhere to get the latest sneaker drops with the exception of Jordan/Nike at Nike Town, Asher Goods in Kirkland, and my workplace, Paul Richards Clothing in Bothell, could work for a taller/larger guy. Pretty trad menswear. We order in Allen Edmonds shoes, have a wall stacked with Italian socks, carry St. Croix american-made knits and sweaters, and for shirting we have some Etons left, stock Robert Talbott, and carry some other shirts in a tighter fit. That's about all I have found so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping for Seattle summer 2013. Hearing rumors of people stopping through and it'd be cool to meet up and show you some of the city.

• 1 month later...

Planning on Ghostface Killah this Thursday at Neumos, and already got my tickets for James Blake on the 23rd. Excited for Bumbershoot this fall as well!

I will come down to Seattle this summer if someone would possibly let me stay with them for a few days, and not kill me. Or maybe a few out-of-towners can book an AirB&B place together for a few days and live out a strange sitcom roommate situation?

We should definitely plan a big meetup though. And Jermaine should come, so we can pick up where we left off : committing very mild crimes and drinking warm boxes of Yoo-Hoo

Which month would the community like to aim for this summer? Seattle summers can end up being astoundingly beautiful and remarkably pleasant compared to the rest of our year. I currently live at home, making the possibility of hosting travelers a familial rather than an individual decision.

Just looking at summer events for the Seattle area:

May 5: Mobile Food Rodeo in Fremont. Food trucks everywhere!

May 16-June 9: Seattle International Film Festival. Focus this year is on African films/directors. "The African Cypher" and "Sand Fishers" look to be of particular interest to myself, but would be quite flexible on film choice.

May 24-27: Folklife. I personally haven't gone, but I could consult my brother.

July 19-21: Bite of Seattle. More food!

July 26-28: Capitol Hill Block Party. Music music music. Indie music. Lineup: http://capitolhillblockparty.com/lineup/

August 2-4: Seafair. Generally amazing. I've loved the Blue Angels since a young child. Pack up a picnic lunch, soak up the sun, toss a frisbee around, watch the aerial acrobatics, and end with a swim. Makes for a more relaxed day. If you are traveling and have had a packed schedule, this would be a good kind of day to end on.

August 28-September 1: Bumbershoot. $99.00 for the three day pass prior to lineup announcement, which is set to happen (according to their website) on May 2nd and 3rd. Its an interesting festival with a TON of variety. Comedy, dance, music absolutely everywhere. Mainstage acts can draw enormous lines, but a lot of great acts on smaller stages throughout the venue.

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/exhibit/exhibitDetail.asp?eventID=23201

The Seattle Art Museum is going to do an exhibition of Japanese fashion. This screams SuFu to the point where I would almost expect this to be a pilgrimage. I will definitely be going.

seattle summers are pleasant as fuck. come late july and do this capitol hill block party. its pretty cool, but kinda sucky in the whole music festival kind of way, but you're in the city, so hella easy to bounce out. lots of shit to do. i might be down for the meet up depending how many annoying people go. just kidding, i'll show peeps around, i love my city.

Down to go to the Capitol Hill Block Party, espically with Run the Jewels (El-P and Killer Mike) set to perform.

Bumbershoot lineup is out! http://bumbershoot.org/lineup/

I'll be looking to see Death Cab again, Kendrick, MGMT, Alt-J, Joey Bada$$, Washed Out, Charles Bradley, Lissie, The Physics, and possibly Nacho Picasso.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sup dudes I just realized I'll be in town for the capitol hill block party, gonna be going on sunday at least for sure. been trying to see the flaming lips for like my entire life. I'm staying at a hostel in chinatown from weds night on, if anyone wants to hang out before/during the festival shoot me a pm. would be cool to meet some people from the future, gonna be moving to the city in september

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Let's keep this bumped. Anyone down to do a meetup at Totokaelo and then eat on Capitol Hill? There's Indian on Broadway, the Honey Hole on Pike for barbeque, Dick's for quick cheap burgers, etc. Indian and the Honey Hole both offer veggie/vegan if necessary. I'm limited somewhat by a peanut allergy but I've been living with it for my whole life at this point, so I can gauge whether or not its safe for me to eat somewhere and I am open to suggestions.

I'd also be curious about trying out an exchange for those of us that still purchase CDs, magazines etc. Maybe bring a few with us to trade/lend. I'm always looking for ways to get into more music/images/information.

Solid. I am off Sundays and Mondays until the holiday shopping really picks up. The 8th would work best for me if that works for the group. Also, if you want to meetup post up. It'd be silly to have people show up and have no one to hang with because the group didn't know you'd be coming and headed to get food early or something like that. Totokaelo is open 11-5 on Sundays and 11-6 on Monday.

Staff at Totokaelo seems like a great crew. Some Blackbird alums like Josh who models for the site, and I'm glad to finally have a store like them here in Seattle. Their buys have been interesting, and there should be a chance to try on Ervell, Rick, Common Projects, Acne, Undercover, etc. for anyone who is curious about sizing for those brands.

Should we postpone the meetup until the 15th? It'll be a Seattle sufu christmas-time extravaganza. Or if people can make it the 8th but not the 15th I am fine with taking the bus twice. Spending the day/afternoon on Capitol Hill is quite pleasant and its only $7.00 round trip.

Have to leave downtown on the 8th around 2:00-2:30PM to make my work christmas party, which I managed to forget about when I was originally arranging this. 15th would be ideal for me and then we could hopefully have Alex, bfan, and myself all meet up? And ecsong187 I saw that you repped up above. Are you interested in the meetup?

This is unfortunate. =[ 

Just a reminder: Didn't hear from anyone about the 8th so can I safely assume we are all meeting on the 15th and I am not leaving people to be sad no one comes to meet up? Hopefully this is the case.

Edited by Northwest

I was thinking that noon would be a good time to meet, and I think meeting at Totokaelo would be best. Lets people have a place to wait indoors as temperatures continue to drop and if you need to kill time because you are there early you can always shop around and try on. Once we have the group there, we can head out to a lunch spot accordingly. As mentioned, plenty of great options to choose from. I'll try to remember to bring a camera as it'd be great to have a group pic to throw in the meetup/waywt threads.

Also! Reminder to bring magazines/movies/music/whatever you want to exchange with the group if that's of interest at all. As a bus rider I do understand it can be tiresome to tote around extra weight but its for a good cause (or something along those lines).

I'm going to a hippie party thing in sodo on sat night, so if I don't make it it's cause I'm ptfo...I'll set an alarm though. if you guys are into electronic music we could do a pre-meetup there lol. also heard good things about the sandwiches at honey hole, I'm down to eat there

sup dudes, if yall want to add a stop on your itinerary: come to my shop in chinatown, i'll be there till 7pm.  i'll dab you guys out if you're into it.  if not, its still a really dope hang out spot for a bunch of cool guys to talk about clothes, i got a private loft and shit.  i can also give you a china town tour.  good opportunity for us to take pictures and get some fashion mags at uwajimaya maybe. i'm pretty close to jack straw and 4 blocks from ebbets field flannels. 

edit: i also have a ms pacman machine and a neo geo with metal slug, puzzle bobble, samurai showdown and that aero fighters 2

Edited by hailxenu

Sounds like a great Sunday taking shape. I've got the map up of the shop location and while I've walked that before, I'll look into taking the bus from Capitol Hill down there for time's sake. Thanks for the generous offer!