prps jeans

bornwithit

From reading various forums, I have come to the conclusion that people don't like PRPS. They agree that the detail is superb and that the quality is top of the line, but the problem is the washes and distressing. Most people seem to think that it is over the top. But, hypothetically, a pair of Indigo PRPS classic 5 pockets, with no distressing, would be a nice pair of jeans. Am I right? Or are they still not good jeans even without the over the top distressing?

lord forgive him, he got those dark forces in him

Seems like most people complain about them being too baggy, not so much the washes. That said, I don't really see what people like about the washes, and I also don't understand why on earth they are always so wrinkled at the store.

They're treated with resin? does that alter the characteristics of the denim anyway in the long term?

They had me believing they where sundried. Like a tomato. I was lied to I tells ya! LIED TO!!

( I suppose you're going to tell me that it's a lie that the cotton isn't picked from sustainable sources by a team of african midget circus performers, shipped to Japan on the backs of small children and then cut, sewn and spun by a crack team of mute albino zen minimalist nuns at a secret mountain top location as well ... ?)

Well I'm guessing they were treated with resin. (I can't remember precisely as it's been a few weeks since I've handled a pair). My reasoning behind this theory is because the crinkles have stayed put, even after packing, sending them from Japan, and hanging up in a shop for a season. They could be starched and sun-dried crumpled I suppose, but my guess would be resin + oven.

BTW resin will alter the denim's properties by blocking the loss of indigo to a certain extent. It's like spraying varnish over a charcoal sketch. The resin will add a protective layer and reduce crocking considerably.

It will make the denim more brittle too.

Edited by ringring on Oct 17, 2005 at 06:38 AM

I Think it depends where you buy them. Looking at HK and japanese sites, the Asian models where shorter than the European and North american. And whatever the length, I've heard quite a few generally people spitting chips about it.

Cheers RingRing. The post on BeingHunted that everyone takes to be the only available online resource about PRPS seemed to say that they where sun dried, and made a big deal out of them being organic this-and-that as I recall, which is why I was surprised about the resin bake. No matter- I wore my pair out for the first time yesterday and whatever process they've been through, with my being used to dry and very unwashed denim, they are lovely to wear. Soft and comfortable, with a good - albeit looser than I originally thought - fit and details that promise a great pair of jeans once they've been worn for a while.

Edited by sybaritical on Oct 17, 2005 at 07:51 AM

Quote:

i believe for this season, sizes 30 and 32 will have a 30 inseam....34s and 36s will have a 32 inseam...

next season they'll be changing things up....34s and 36s will have 34 inseams...

--- Original message by MyMindSpray on Oct 17, 2005 07:36 AM

That's good, coz all the ones I've seen in the shops are *way* too short.

I can't say they really do it for me, though. I don't care for the 'destroyed' looking ones, and the straight crinkle-wash purple selvage model is just a bit boring...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you may have missed the point. The point - to me anyway- is not what they look like when you buy them, but what they will look like, after a hella lot of wear and living. That's my approach anyway, and I believe the approach of many other people about too. It's thankless and frustrating for a long time, takes a lot of patience, and a bit of imagination as well. But the satisfaction of the end result is beyond measure.

Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you may have missed the point. The point - to me anyway- is not what they look like when you buy them, but what they will look like, after a hella lot of wear and living. That's my approach anyway, and I believe the approach of many other people about too. It's thankless and frustrating for a long time, takes a lot of patience, and a bit of imagination as well. But the satisfaction of the end result is beyond measure.

--- Original message by sybaritical on Oct 17, 2005 03:15 PM

Absolutely take your point and absolutlely agree with you. My point was really, given that you are going to start out with raw or one-wash denim and wear it in yourself, why would you choose the PRPS offering rather than, say, Yen or Sugarcane or Edwin or Studio D'A or even LVC or Lee or Evisu? It's because you like something about the construction, the detailing, the design, the fit --- of course they will all change over time, and usually for the better. In the case of PRPS, the fit is not there (as I said, they seem to be sized for midgets), and the detailing does not do it for me either (those black rivets..? the multicolored fly buttons...?).

Just my personal preference, nothing to do with whether I like dry/one-wash denim or not (in fact, I buy all my jeans rigid).

Edited by frideswide on Oct 18, 2005 at 02:55 AM

Quote: In the case of PRPS, the fit is not there (as I said, they seem to be sized for midgets)

Guess that makes me a midget!icon_smile_big.gif

Quote: why would you choose the PRPS offering rather than, say, Yen or Sugarcane or Edwin or Studio D'A or even LVC or Lee or Evisu?

They're the first one wash I've bought since 1995 and I've been cultivating raw LVC's for ages and ages, so I'm bored with the whole 501 repro's and need a change. I considered Sugarcane cos they are fantastic, but the way I wear them I'd essentially be stuck in the same cycle for another two or three years. I needed something different and the most obvious choices available where Blue Blood ( Waaay too branded ) ALD ( nice, but a bit overworked and they remind me of G-star) and PRPS.

Unfortunately any 5-pocket riveted jean is going to have some inescapable genetic link to 501s --- you've got to work hard to get away from it, assuming you already have enough 501 repros maturing in your closet and want something a bit different.

Personally, I think PRPS is pretty good in this regard. There's a fine like between doing something 'different' and just doing crazy things like sticking pockets on at odd angles or putting bondage straps down the back. The jeans still have to have a certain 'integrity', if you know what I mean.

Yen does some interesting things, and Evisu (although as you said about Blue Blood, Waaay too branded). ALaD a bit 'precious', IMHO. The rest of the list frideswide mentioned is pretty straight repro stuff.

^looks that way. Lord only knows why.

Wanted to share this before I post it in a different thread. I just dropped into Uniqlo to pick up a couple of plain T's for work, and while I was there I looked through the denim, and found their dry greenline selvedge selling at £9.99, so I grabbed a pair and went to try them on - while I was talking to the the japanese girl in the changing room about them she looked at my PRPS ( which cost £180) and said with big, shining, smiley eyes " these are from Uniqlo too, yes?" icon_smile_sleepy.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_wink.gif

thats what i thought when i copped my 2 pairs of uniqlo selvedge...very difficult to see the difference when there is that much discrepancy in cost. and i love prps, but i am now a huge fan of uniqlo. their cords are amazing as are their cardis. perfect philosophy, clothes should not be louder than the person wearing them.