Vegans / Vegetarians / Raw Foodists

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really? something packaged and filled with chemicals and preservatives?

I'm just saying the "If you don't eat meat, you're a pussy" argument is really weak. It's not like you go out into the wilderness and kill cows and chickens. You don't get big man points for eating something when the hard work was done for you.

Well I'm definitely not raw-vegan, but I enjoy the food. There's a pretty good restaurant in town, "The Ecopolitan".

http://ecopolitan.com/files/pdf/ecomenu_final.pdf

The "green burritos" are great, and the daily soups are usually delicious (although I'm always tempted to take them home and heat them up).

I'm just saying the "If you don't eat meat, you're a pussy" argument is really weak. It's not like you go out into the wilderness and kill cows and chickens. You don't get big man points for eating something when the hard work was done for you.

your argument is moot. i'm not calling you pussies b/c you don't kill the animals, i'm calling you pussies b/c you're picky bitches and you whine and complain about how eating a big fat juicy steak makes you feel fatigued and less energetic. oh wahhh it's not right to eat meat and you'd rather drink raw milk but milk gets you farty so you just drink soy milk and eat setian nuggets with no fuckin gluten and shit.

Guest The City

My favorite bakery in Seattle happens to be Flying Apron which is organic vegan gluten-free. I love their chocolate chip cookies. But I'm not vegan or vegetarian I just try to eat a lean high protein diet.

i have been vegetarian for over half of my life now

me too, my dude. i've been in this vegetarian game for 16 years now, and i don't think i'll ever quit. as my cooking acumen grows, i've only become more committed (although i remain ideologically laissez-faire). i like the idea of CSAs, but i'm hesitant to commit out of fear that I wouldn't be able to make use of the amount of food they provide each week. maybe i would. but in any case, i've sidestepped this a bit by growing my own vegetables in the summer and fall--something that has been pretty rewarding. my veggie life has also improved dramatically over the past several years thanks to my nascent tofu preparation skillszz. try and get down with some chinese folks to get schooled, le chinois really know how to properly sizzle that fermented soy brick. my last brick cooked like two!

ps 'the state' gets neg rep for blasting a diarrhea fart of retardation in this house

Guest Goose25

Neg rep to those saying they are a vegetarian but eat meat sometimes - bullshit - you're a carnivore. vegetarians eat no meat whatsoever. period.

I hope anyone here that claims to be a vegan don't have any clothing (or anything for that matter) that is made from an animal because that wouldn't make you a vegan.

On that note, a lot of beer and refined sugar is also not vegan. I know plently of vegans who would be freaked out if they found out refined sugar is filtered through bone char and beer filtered through fish bladders.

Do vegans/veggies eat bread or drink beer? I don't know if yeast counts as an animal or whatever... (serious question, not trying to start shit) :)

"Is bread vegan?

Commercial breads can contain non-vegan ingredients, including whey, honey, shortening (some labels specify vegetable shortening, which is vegan), milk, and eggs. Sodium stearyl lactylate, glycerides, emulsifiers, natural flavor, mono- and diglycerides, glycerides, emulsifiers, artificial flavor, and lactase are just a few of the ingredients that, although not in every case necessarily animal-derived, should be considered non-vegan. Some bakeries grease the bread pans with animal fat. Be sure to ask before purchasing. Many vegans make their own bread from scratch, sometimes using a bread machine. This allows vegans to make vegan bread for a fraction of the cost of commercial brands.

Are wines and liquors vegan?

To clear wine after fermentation, some of these ingredients are used: casein and potassium caseinate (milk proteins), edible gelatins (made from bones), animal albumin (egg albumin and dried blood powder). Isinglass (from fish) is commonly used to clarify wine. There are some vegan wines on the market. It is difficult to tell which liquors are vegan and which are not. "

Are there any good sites about doing weight training on a vegetarian diet? I'd like to go vegetarian for sustainability reasons but giving up hard boiled eggs and turkey (other than fish these are the only meats I eat regularly (actually, do eggs count?)) would completely fuck up on my day to day diet.

the_state, shut up. There has been no boohoo animal cruelty bitching in this thread, you brought that with you, [edit] jerk.

Do vegans/veggies eat bread or drink beer? I don't know if yeast counts as an animal or whatever... (serious question, not trying to start shit) :)

I've known many, many vegans, and I was one for 6 years.. never known anyone that avoided yeast because it's a 'living' organism.

i have been vegetarian for over half of my life now

though i have been known to eat fish here and there

and a rather notorious run in with a pork bbq sandwich in north carolina that had me laid up for days

we just joined a CSA and pick up huge amounts of local produce each week

it has been great, exposing us to all sorts of strange vegetables that i would have never thought to buy on my own

such as japanese kohlrabi:

kohlrabigranddukeai8.jpg

Not to be nit-picky, but kohlrabi is actually German even though the name sounds like it could be asian and it's often found in asian markets.

Renski:

No vegans do not usually have honey since bees are animals

...But more on topic, I have a friend who is veggie and whenever we hang out together, we usually eat veggie, and by we, I mean I, have to suffer through a veg meal. Actually, it's a nice way to live and the food if done well is quite tasty (Horizons, in Philly, has really delicious vegan food).

Is anyone 100% raw. I think the idea is interesting/crazy. What kind of condiments do you alllow yourself to eat?

A friend of mine swears by it but she is a drag to go out to eat with.

Vegans are too, but I like that many restaurants are more conscious about the dietary restrictions of people and have more accomodating offers on their menus so that people would actually like eating can dine out with Vegetarians

Vegan for seven years (since I was in eighth grade). I'm a pretty healthy person, too. Played many years of competitive hockey, play racquetball all the time, used to bike twelve miles a day, play ultimate frisbee a few times a week. No experience with bodybuilding, though.

Also straight edge, if anyone else posting in this thread is also xvx.

never known anyone that avoided yeast because it's a 'living' organism.

Yeast is a fungus, so that would eliminate mushrooms too, haha. I go to school in Humboldt County, 5 hours north of San Francisco, and it is widely regarded as a "hippie town," which it is. As a result, there is a great selection of vegetarian and vegan restaurants. The cafeteria for the dorms is one of the best in the US for vegetarians. I eat meat, but I do love vegetarian food.

I am curious about the view on leather. Do some vegetarians feel like it's ok to use because it is a by product of beef consumption and would just go to waste otherwise (if it's not purely a by product, let me know, that'd be interesting), or will they become pariahs amongst their fellow vegetarians for using it? What if they owned a leather product before becoming vegetarian?

I used to have only fruit and vegetables and nuts and beans. It gave me the Alertnessâ„¢. But I had to cook everything. These days I lazily eat whatever is in my plate -____-

I am curious about the view on leather. Do some vegetarians feel like it's ok to use because it is a by product of beef consumption and would just go to waste otherwise (if it's not purely a by product, let me know, that'd be interesting), or will they become pariahs amongst their fellow vegetarians for using it? What if they owned a leather product before becoming vegetarian?

You're going to get different opinions from different people, depending on their reasons for being vegetarian. For people that aren't just animal rights-focused, there's the argument that leather makes more sense than a synthetic/petroleum-based alternative, likely shipped in from China (though obviously a lot of leather is too), destined to break down and be replaced a few times during the lifetime of a leather garment. There's something to be said for that.